Ticket Prices / Lions' Marketing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MikeAK
All Star

Yeah, Sammy. That is quite the increase over just two seasons. No doubt some may have wanted to renew but just couldn't afford or justify it. As for the virtual map, yeah I am really pleased they finally implemented it. The Canucks have been using it for years and I always made a comment to my rep at the Leo's office about it. I'll still use my rep at the office but at least now I will have a tool to use so I know exactly what is available when talking to her.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:I noticed that the BC Lions have finally switched over to a virtual seating map for online ticket ordering through Ticket Master. This allows a person to actually go into a section and see exactly what is available. No more "best available" searching. For all the negativity the Lions have received I think this is a huge plus for the ticket buyer and the Lions had done a good job here.
It might be a Ticketmaster change. I happened to buy a ticket through Ticketmaster today for a TiCats game during an upcoming business trip to Hamilton. I saw from Ticketmaster's virtual seating chart that there was one seat left in the front row of the end zone, so I grabbed it. The price was $25.50 plus $4 for Ticketmaster for a total of $29.50. My Lions seat in B.C. Place, in a similar area (but with obviously better sightlines and amenities) costs $31.50, including taxes and fees. A single-game ticket in the same section costs $43.
MikeAK
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
MikeAK wrote:I noticed that the BC Lions have finally switched over to a virtual seating map for online ticket ordering through Ticket Master. This allows a person to actually go into a section and see exactly what is available. No more "best available" searching. For all the negativity the Lions have received I think this is a huge plus for the ticket buyer and the Lions had done a good job here.
It might be a Ticketmaster change. I happened to buy a ticket through Ticketmaster today for a TiCats game during an upcoming business trip to Hamilton. I saw from Ticketmaster's virtual seating chart that there was one seat left in the front row of the end zone, so I grabbed it. The price was $25.50 plus $4 for Ticketmaster for a total of $29.50. My Lions seat in B.C. Place, in a similar area (but with obviously better sightlines and amenities) costs $31.50, including taxes and fees. A single-game ticket in the same section costs $43.
I know for a fact that it was the team who was in control of this system. I have had many conversations with both TM and the Lions rep about this. Many CFL teams have even been using the virtual map for online ticket selection for years as well. The Lions were definitely in control and are late to the party here...but still, like I said, they deserve credit for finally making the change. I love being able to buy tickets online now and knowing exactly what is available before I make my selection. I hated that "best available" search system.
kenny
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:
I hate to sound like a class warrior (primarily because I'm a raging right-winger) but I wonder how clearly the Waterboys, Skulsky and Buono understand the financial implications of a game on the common man. In 2008 Skulsky earned seven figures with bonuses, it was reported Wally made 400k per annum, and I doubt any of the Waterboys have ever received a GST rebate cheque. As each expense ramps up across the board (gas, bridge toll, parking, ticket, beer, concessions, etc) a 10% increase in the price of each of these ends up having a not-insignificant effect on the average fan.

This is a dirty trick, and it's full of logical holes, but I think it makes a point.

The average weekly salary in BC is $860.57. x 52 weeks = 44,750 in income before taxes.

In 2008 Dennis Skulsky received a salary of $650,000, along with a bonus of $498,938, as reported by the Georgia Straight.
I could not agree more.....when the guys making the ticket pricing decisions are making that kind of money of course the price increase will seem like peanuts. Besides I bet these guys never buy tickets to anything other than the movies. Concert, canucks, you name it....I bet they just work connections for tickets. And I am sure a lot of Lions tickets are given away by these guys to friends and family. I just don't think that they get it.
274always
All Star

here in montreal after the MLS impact team drew 12,000 th team decided to change their pricing and give 10% rebates to STH at the food court and preferential pricing for first year STH. Their last game drew 15,000 in response.

The alouettes are now averaging 21,000 which will likely force management to do the same. In a strange irony having people Not come to games may be the only way to get the message across. :2cents:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
David
Team Captain

Just saw an ad on Global TV News Hour tonight for Friday night's game. :thup: Whether that will help increase the buzz meter and translate to more butts in the seats remains to be seen, but at lease they're increasing awareness.

The club needs to draw as much attention as possible. The local sports scene shifted this week to the Whitecaps due to the signing of a Scottish international and Beckham's arrival in town.

EDIT - the club also sponsored Sportsnet Pacific last night and aired 2 of their Season Ticket ads which are really sharp. The one seen on Global was about the upcoming game and featured different footage.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Just saw an ad on Global TV News Hour tonight for Friday night's game. :thup: Whether that will help increase the buzz meter and translate to more butts in the seats remains to be seen, but at lease they're increasing awareness.

The club needs to draw as much attention as possible. The local sports scene shifted this week to the Whitecaps due to the signing of a Scottish international and Beckham's arrival in town.

The Lions also got the word out early about the roof being open for Friday's game. I hope the good weather holds.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:Just saw an ad on Global TV News Hour tonight for Friday night's game. :thup: Whether that will help increase the buzz meter and translate to more butts in the seats remains to be seen, but at lease they're increasing awareness. The club needs to draw as much attention as possible. The local sports scene shifted this week to the Whitecaps due to the signing of a Scottish international and Beckham's arrival in town. DH :cool:
The Lions also got the word out early about the roof being open for Friday's game. I hope the good weather holds.
I saw in one forecast a small chance of showers for Friday. But if this heat keeps up through game time, as it appears will be the case, I think it would be sheer folly to close the roof just because there's a slight chance of a few raindrops that most fans will be sheltered from anyway. And from what you say, it seems The Man agrees with that assessment.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I saw in one forecast a small chance of showers for Friday. But if this heat keeps up through game time, as it appears will be the case, I think it would be sheer folly to close the roof just because there's a slight chance of a few raindrops that most fans will be sheltered from anyway. And from what you say, it seems The Man agrees with that assessment.
Even if it rains the field will get wet. The fans should be dry unless you plan to streak
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Lots of good comments in here, I think the tickets prices have gone up to much especially for those on a shoe string budget.
Lowering the end zone seats to between $20 to $25 would be a big help.
It would be nice to hear what Skulsky has to say on this matter.
Bighill is Badass
SammyGreene
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote: On the topic of media time, I'm really glad the Olympics (July 27-Aug 12) coincides with two Lions' away games in Calgary & Toronto, followed by our bye-week. Coming out of that we're playing the RIders, which should be a really good draw. But I guarantee there isn't going to be much attention paid to the Lions during those three weeks. I hope the Lions are priming the pump and getting ready for a media blitz leading up to the re-match with the RIders.
Anything less than 30,000 for the Riders visit will be a disappointment given the opponent, what the standings will look like and the Lions having a month to sell the game.

Whitecaps got a lot of hype for the Beckham visit but as BC FAN pointed out, the attendance was no more than a couple of thousand than their season average given they stuck with the 21,000 configuration. After last night's game, Sportstalk, hosted by Dave Pratt, ran a poll what was the hottest summer sports ticket in Vancouver and Lions won decisively with 65 percent of the vote, with the Whitecaps at 20 and the Canadians at 15. So the interest is definitely there as the TV numbers suggest too, they just need to make it more affordable.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

AC/DC Rocks wrote:Lots of good comments in here, I think the tickets prices have gone up to much especially for those on a shoe string budget.
Lowering the end zone seats to between $20 to $25 would be a big help.
It would be nice to hear what Skulsky has to say on this matter.
And I think there are very many living on such budgets these days as the economy is not pushing out the higher paid jobs like before.

I do think they need to keep bringing in younger fans or later on the die hards will be few.

I doubt the Lions will comment on this unless there is more of a backlash.

Not sure of their strategy here as their marketing has not always been brilliant in recent years. The marketing to relive the Empire experience to someone like me who remembers the cold, wet damp games versus nice crisp, beautiful fall evenings/days seemed really odd versus asking fans to help them out in a transition to a rejuvenated, upgraded and vastly improved fan experience that would soon come if they were patient. I think Winnipeg while overly optimistic on a 2012 year opening did it right as it seemed the emphasis was on the new fan experience. I think the Lions made a mistake in marketing this fantastic outdoor experience as most of have been to the PNE hundreds of times for some reason and know what it is like.

The Lions need to make a budget. This likely seemed the right pricing to get them there. I think Wally has said the right things on the eve of moving back DT but it does not seem to turn up in marketing. Football while always be a poor cousin to the NHL if for no other reason than it is marketed well and of course there are the revenues to back it up and bring in fans.

If they had kept prices down would they fill the seats they need to make budget? That is a key question that they must have focused on before arriving at the prices. Comparing BC tickets to other cities is not good logic as each city is different. The question has to be would lower prices increase revenues with more ticket sales and a better bottom line after all the added costs of extra event staffing?

As a fairly avid fan who does not need to worry about ticket prices - used to buy two and not be able to get friends regularly to come with me during the dark years - there is a price at which I'd just say forget and watch it on TV. That price is much lower if your budget is strained.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: The Lions also got the word out early about the roof being open for Friday's game. I hope the good weather holds.
Hope the rain ends before the game

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html
David
Team Captain

There's a great discussion on The Sports Market with Tom Mayenknecht on TEAM1040 right now about Leos' pricing and stadium capacity. He's saying exactly the same thing that's been written on this board: that the Lions need to review their pricing structure for next season and be much more aggressive to get more people in the stadium. They're also asking whether the Lions should be opening the entire stadium. http://www.teamradio.ca/

Roar, You Lions, Roar