How big a crowd would David Beckham draw here?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

CBC reports that the Toronto FC coach is saying Beckham won't play in Toronto on Sunday because the ankle hasn't healed, but the LA Galaxy haven't confirmed that.

I really think CBC should've pulled back and not leaked this story so quickly until there was an official announcement from Beckham's team. If Beckham is too injured to play, let the LA Galaxy make the announcement. Beckham is employed by LA, not Toronto. Toronto can't speak for L.A. Toronto should mind it's own affairs.

Same thing with Dickenson's condition. The BC Lions told Team 1040 that Dickenson would not be available for the regular Monday morning interview this last Monday due to recovery from concussion. That was an order from the BC Lions doctors and Team 1040 respected that ruling. It's not for Team 1040 to decide; the BC Lions have the final say. Team 1040 handled that matter well.

And if Beckham won't play Sunday, how will that affect ticket sales for October 3? Looks like Vancouver will be Beckham's only Canadian appearance!

Well good on Toronto! This time we get first shot at Beckham!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

welcome back
2012 Season Ticket Holder
120dB
Legend

I'm only back for events drawing big crowds
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:I'm only back for events drawing big crowds
Did you go to the fireworks?
Lionut
Hall of Famer

The problem here, of course, is that they aren't marketing the game, but rather one star personality (I would argue Beckham is more of international celebrity now than he is a soccer player.) If that guy is injured, all the air gets let out of the event like a spiked tire.

This is really no different than 30 years ago, when the NASL was trying to build North American soccer on Pele and a gaggle of aging European imports. Once the novelty of Pele wore off, no one went to the games anymore. Oh well -- Becks and Posh can hang out with Tom and Katie in LA while it lasts. They may even convert Posh to Scientology -- she looks like an alien already, so she has a good head start.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:The problem here, of course, is that they aren't marketing the game, but rather one star personality (I would argue Beckham is more of international celebrity now than he is a soccer player.) If that guy is injured, all the air gets let out of the event like a spiked tire.

This is really no different than 30 years ago, when the NASL was trying to build North American soccer on Pele and a gaggle of aging European imports. Once the novelty of Pele wore off, no one went to the games anymore. Oh well -- Becks and Posh can hang out with Tom and Katie in LA while it lasts. They may even convert Posh to Scientology -- she looks like an alien already, so she has a good head start.
It is also why I am not shelling out he coin that the Beckham match here is looking for. Who knows if he is actually goign to get to play, the Galaxy team certainly is not worth the coin being asked for this game. Beckham makes this an event, without him it doesn't qualify for a refund either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

I thought I heard that if Beckham doesn't play in this friendly that you got your money back? I thought it was different than the game vs. Toronto FC, mainly because it is a friendly and not a regular season match.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

So as we suspected your a typical Vancouverite and not a football fan....... :roll:
I have my head up my butt - 120db
120dB
Legend

If Beckham's nose is still sore October 3 then the game will be postponed until his nose is better
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Did you go to the fireworks?
Wonder whether he brought his sign to the fireworks ?
120dB
Legend

Craigslist Toronto is now flooded with ads with people giving up their Beckham tickets now that he's not playing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Beckham sitting on the sidelines didn't prevent a sellout of 20,522 at BMO Field.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Beckham sitting on the sidelines didn't prevent a sellout of 20,522 at BMO Field.
The Beckham factor never got into play in TO, as they have sold out each home game regardless of Beckham and have 14K in ST holders. Beckham basically came into sight after most tickets had already been sold.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Robbie wrote:Beckham sitting on the sidelines didn't prevent a sellout of 20,522 at BMO Field.
The Beckham factor never got into play in TO, as they have sold out each home game regardless of Beckham and have 14K in ST holders. Beckham basically came into sight after most tickets had already been sold.
True. But according to:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/schedule/s ... ?team=t280

While attendance for every game has been around 20,000, the game against LA was the first time a full 20,522 has attended.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

why is beckham always injured so often?...