Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed TJ Lee to a two-year extension.
https://3downnation.com/2023/01/25/not- ... b-c-lions/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Don't know if it's accurate but a reliable guy on RF is reporting a Farhan sez tweet that Bo Lokombo has agreed to a new 2 year deal.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone
Hall of Famer

Out of the 16 (I think) pending FAs my own personal priorities or "must do's" are 3 of the 4 OL, Peters and Butler followed by Gwachum and Doll in the next level. Doll has been rock solid in his LS role. At the other end I see them passing on Ross and at least one, if not both of the QBs. Villamizar and one of Messam and Francis along with Banks and Hakeem Johnson might allowed to walk. Johnson could be deemed expendable make playing time for Adrian Green while the signing of Ryder Varga might create a need to clear out space at depth NAT LB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wonder if the Lions are looking to move Lokombo to safety. He lost his starting role at linebacker last year but performed well at safety in Montreal in 2019. Veteran American DB Loucheiz Purifoy, who played mainly at safety last year, was recently released and quickly picked up by Edmonton.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:19 pm
Out of the 16 (I think) pending FAs my own personal priorities or "must do's" are 3 of the 4 OL, Peters and Butler followed by Gwachum and Doll in the next level. Doll has been rock solid in his LS role. At the other end I see them passing on Ross and at least one, if not both of the QBs. Villamizar and one of Messam and Francis along with Banks and Hakeem Johnson might allowed to walk. Johnson could be deemed expendable make playing time for Adrian Green while the signing of Ryder Varga might create a need to clear out space at depth NAT LB.
My top four priorities, in order:
1. Peters - CFL all-star shutdown corner
2. Butler - 1,000 yard rusher, solid in pass pro
3. Chungh - one of the best when healthy
4. Godber - had a breakout season in 2022
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:30 pm
Both O'Connor and Pipkin are pending free agents Toppy. As of today the only QBs BC has under contract are Adams and recent offseason signings Vad Lee and Breylin Smith.
Does this then suggest BC is looking to add experience at QB? If yes, who?

Neither of the Americans you named has played much lately.

I hoped that Michael O'Connor would have blossomed last year as he's got potential.
Maybe he'll be back or maybe Pipkin who at times in the right situation in the CFL looked not bad.

The one QB who is an intriguing FA is Bombers Dakota Prukop who hasn't thrown a lot of passes but has been in the CFL long enough to know the game here. And he has played some.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa23/#BOMBERS

MONTREAL FA's:

Trevor Harris: who was in Vancouver working out with Rob Williams recently will most likely be back in MTL for sure or Riders?
If not, Jason Maas has lost his mind.

Dominique Davis

OTTAWA:

Nick Arbuckle
Caleb Evans

TORONTO

MBT - but he'd sign in TOR or retire. Not likely going to be a backup here or elsewhere.
Chad Kelly - rumoured for trade but NOT an FA.

HAMILTON:

Matt Shiltz - FA.
Dane Evans not an FA but likely a casualty with Bo there.

BOMBERS:

Dakota Prukop

RIDERS:

Cody Fajardo - he'd should be on a BC list to consider as he needs a change if the Riders don't bring him back as No. 1.
Regardless, he needs out of Regina.

CALGARY & EDMONTON

No FA QBs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:16 pm

Does this then suggest BC is looking to add experience at QB? If yes, who?

Neither of the Americans you named has played much lately.

I hoped that Michael O'Connor would have blossomed last year as he's got potential.
Maybe he'll be back or maybe Pipkin who at times in the right situation in the CFL looked not bad.

The one QB who is an intriguing FA is Bombers Dakota Prukop who hasn't thrown a lot of passes but has been in the CFL long enough to know the game here. And he has played some.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa23/#BOMBERS

MONTREAL FA's:

Trevor Harris: who was in Vancouver working out with Rob Williams recently will most likely be back in MTL for sure or Riders?
If not, Jason Maas has lost his mind.

Dominique Davis

OTTAWA:

Nick Arbuckle
Caleb Evans

TORONTO

MBT - but he'd sign in TOR or retire. Not likely going to be a backup here or elsewhere.
Chad Kelly - rumoured for trade but NOT an FA.

HAMILTON:

Matt Shiltz - FA.
Dane Evans not an FA but likely a casualty with Bo there.

BOMBERS:

Dakota Prukop

RIDERS:

Cody Fajardo - he'd should be on a BC list to consider as he needs a change if the Riders don't bring him back as No. 1.
Regardless, he needs out of Regina.

CALGARY & EDMONTON

No FA QBs.
I think Toppy that NM & RC believe they have assembled a team capable of winning a GC but want more than what O'Connor or Pipkin can offer at #2. I think they want somebody can work with this group AND win should Adams get hurt.

So to take your list:

MONTREAL: Maas hasn't lost his mind. Unless they see Dane Evans as a long term type upgrade over Harris Maas and Maciocia both want Harris back. It will get done. Davis? Nah.

OTTAWA: I think Arbuckle would get strong consideration. Caleb Evans? Too raw I think for what they are looking for.

TORONTO: No way Toronto is considering trading him. That's just fodder for armchair GMs in fan forums. Toronto desparately needs to build on their GC win to get some traction in the market by proving themselves legitimate threats to repeat. Kelly will be an Argo in 2023 whether they get MBT re-signed or not. If not they will be players for the sort of QB BC will be looking for at #2.

HAMILTON: No doubt Evans will come available but I think he winds up as #1 in Regina or maybe even #2 in Ottawa if he has to take that much of a buzzcut. Shiltz does have a bit more of.a resume. Maybe.

WINNIPEG: Prukop? He's somewhat like Fajardo. Shown his strength is in his legs, not his arm. While he got some playing time in this year in a Streveler role he was #3 in Winnipeg. If Collaros went down Dru Brown was next man up.

SASKATCHEWAN: If Fajardo is willing to take a major pay cut down to a backup role at backup salary maybe. Not sure he's ready to swallow that easily.

I guess I like Arbuckle, Shiltz and a tie between Fajardo and Caleb Evans as option.
David
Team Captain

I think BC wants a #2 with a similar skillset to VA, so that if he goes down it's more "plug and play" than adjusting the playbook for a dropback passer (like O'Connor...which is a shame because I like the kid).

I don't know how Fajardo can return to Riderville given the bad feelings there ('mistreatment' may be too strong a word but he hasn't been shown tons of respect IMO). Would Cody be prepared to come back to B.C. to be a #2 or 1B? Hard to say...he seems to value small-town living (corn dogs and all...he's seems a bit of small-town boy at heart) and being recognized (haven't exactly seen "Sprinkle of Jesus" shy away from a camera) so Sask is the better fit. However, he would be a great addition to the Leos as he was injured much of last year and played behind a horrendous O-line and still passed for over 3,300 yards and nearly 70% completion.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Another day, another signing and another signing for 2 years. :good:
This time Guzylak-Messam.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/01/27/lion ... ough-2024/
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:25 pm
I wonder if the Lions are looking to move Lokombo to safety. He lost his starting role at linebacker last year but performed well at safety in Montreal in 2019. Veteran American DB Loucheiz Purifoy, who played mainly at safety last year, was recently released and quickly picked up by Edmonton.
No I think Lokombo is just WLB and MLB depth at this point. They will probably stay American at safety or go with Greene if they want a national.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bruce Anderson III was signed then released.

BC and running backs is one of the most perplexing things for this fan where other teams like the Bombers and Stamps find not just one but a number of top backs or like the Bombers use the likes of Demski on runs or plays like runs (shovels, pitches).

I suspect BC's OC is not a creative thinker but more of the mode if we execute our plays we'll be fine type of play caller.

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/27/b-c- ... erson-iii/

New RB signed - Buddy Howell.

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/26/b-c- ... howell-jr/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Even after releasing Anderson BC still has 4 American RBs on the roster includimg pending FA James Butler. Perhaps it signifies Butler's signature is only a crossed T and dotted i away from being done. It's also possible Anderson has something cooking in the XFL or USFL and askes for his release. It's also early in the recruiting process. Free agent camps have only just started.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have locked up their biggest asset (by height at least). OL David Knevel (6 ft. 8, 325 lbs.), who missed all of the 2022 season after injuring his shoulder at the FanFest scrimmage in training camp, has signed an extension for 2023. It sounds like a one-year "show me" contract. Knevel had been pencilled in as starting left guard before his injury last year. The position was ultimately filled for most of the season by Americans Phil Norman and Jarell Broxton, with some relief from veteran national backup Andrew Peirson. With Knevel and Peirson re-signed for 2023, they could both be in consideration for starting positions, especially with starters Peter Godber and Sukh Chungh still unsigned.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/01/30/knev ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David Knevel is back. I was a bit concerned after struggling to get playing time in his first few years he was finally on the cusp of getting that coveted starting role he worked so hard for. Then it all unraveled with that labrum injury late in camp after being first unit LG right from the start. I wondered if that might be enough for him to push to retirement. I'm very pleased to see him returning.
https://www.bclions.com/2023/01/30/knev ... extension/