Ticket Prices / Lions' Marketing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote:This is what I was afraid of. The Lions come off a Grey Cup, charge ticket prices higher than the market will bear and miss the mark on their Marketing push. This of course has affected attendance, so now you get the uninformed weighing in that this is a soft football market. Of course, bad news spreads fast, so this may be like the not-so-trendy restaurant: folks may hear that the food is good, but when there are lots of empty tables in a big room, they begin to speculate that it's no longer popular and not the place to be so it dies on the vine. In reality, the restaurant owner just charged too much for his entrées. LINK HERE WARNING: some of the comments in this link may make your blood boil, so don't read this when you're stressed. You'll be screaming at the Lions' braintrust for causing this mess. :bang: DH :cool:

Yep hard to stomach some of those comments but I guess the fact the topic has generated 11 pages in a hockey forum is encouraging news. The casual football fan in this town is extremely fickle and it doesn't take a lot to lose their interest, at least from a financial standpoint as believe the team is still being followed as the TV numbers suggest. It's seems like only Bob Ackles had his finger on the pulse and had figured it out. It is shame to see what he had rebuilt (season ticket base up to 24,000 in 2008) has eroded despite the team remaining rather competitive. The blackout being lifted at least resulted in these tv numbers for week #2 Winnipeg/Montreal 591,000 Hamilton/B.C 729,000 Toronto/Calgary 434,000 Edmonton/Saskatchewan 624,000

Thanks for posting the TV numbers, SammyGreene.

Some of the clowns and a-holes on that board (I say "some" because there were a portion of posters who staunchly defended our team/league) can play the bush league/minor league card all they want, but the fact of the matter is the Lions are delivering a TV audience in this market. This is the 2nd week in a row in which a Lions game is the highest rated of the 4 match-ups. Not even close, really.

Moreover, the Leos delivered massive local TV numbers for the 99th Grey Cup game. In something called the "Vancouver Extended Market" (presumably Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley?), the game recorded an impressive 29.3 Rating. More than 1.9 million viewers here tuned in for some of the game, representing more than half of the population. They also delivered a 65 share in the Vancouver market. That means two-thirds of people who were watching TV in this market when the Grey Cup was played tuned into the Grey Cup game! On a specialty cable channel (TSN) no less. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

As far as TV numbers for Lions games, keep in mind that we are talking BC Lions not Vancouver Lions and almost half of the BC population lives outside the lower mainland and are too far away to attend games on a regular basis. It also means that a lot of the out of town TV audience might be interested in attending a game when done in conjunction with an already planned trip to Vancouver, but there needs to be some incentives offered to get the less than fanatic fan to games.

It has been popular in the past for hockey fans from the BC interior to attend Canuck games when they play two home games on a weekend. Maybe the Lions should try to package some discounted upper deck tickets to hockey fans when Canucks and Lions both play at home on the same weekend.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A story on the Lions attendance to date appears on the Sun website but written for the "Sports Network" whatever that is. There is not one quote from the Lions and it's almost like it's from a fan's perspective. Still it has generated 52 reader comments.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:A story on the Lions attendance to date appears on the Sun website but written for the "Sports Network" whatever that is. There is not one quote from the Lions and it's almost like it's from a fan's perspective. Still it has generated 52 reader comments.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Among the comments that required more than two brain cells to post, there were several with a theme of, love the Lions, hate the ticket prices:

"tix are too expensive... BUT: I love this team and the way they play"

"the cheapest single game ticket is $48.00. Sorry Leos, I love you but I'm not going to pay that on a regular basis."

"seats cost us about $55 each... I'd love to go to more games, but I just can't afford it. The Lions used to sell some pretty reasonably priced tickets in years gone by, but not now. Too bad."

"wasn't that long ago you could get into the building for $12.00 . I'll still pay $20.00, but that's it. ... I still love the game and our B.C. Lions, but I can go to my local Legion and watch the whole thing for a LOT LOT LESS."

"$93 per ticket for any seat between the 20 yard lines - both lower and upper deck. That is outrageous. ... I love my Leos but I'm protesting with my wallet this season."

"Management over-estimated the 'lure' of the new stadium. No way end-zone seats should cost $35 + taxes and fees, nor shoud (upper deck) prices be the same as (lower deck). ... It's too bad too, because this is a team that's really fun to watch!"

Pretty telling.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MikeAK
All Star

Very telling indeed, sj-roc. Although I am not surprised by those comments. They basically echo what I hear daily from local Lions fans I bump into. Obviously I have no hard numbers but I know the Lions have lost a big portion of Islanders who would travel over for games and grab a room for the night. The ticket prices have made that unreasonable for a regular season CFL game. Too bad indeed.

Thanks the lord for the 3 afternooners so I can get over and back the same day. I expect to see strong support from the Island for those 3 games. Attendance will hopefully be in the 35+... at least I hope so.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hope the Lions read the article and take note
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MikeAK wrote:Very telling indeed, sj-roc. Although I am not surprised by those comments. They basically echo what I hear daily from local Lions fans I bump into. Obviously I have no hard numbers but I know the Lions have lost a big portion of Islanders who would travel over for games and grab a room for the night. The ticket prices have made that unreasonable for a regular season CFL game. Too bad indeed.

Thanks the lord for the 3 afternooners so I can get over and back the same day. I expect to see strong support from the Island for those 3 games. Attendance will hopefully be in the 35+... at least I hope so.
At $67 for car and driver each way on the ferry I would say that the days of boat loads of Lions fans is over, but afternoon Canuck games will likely still get fans over from the Island.
MikeAK
All Star

DanoT wrote:
MikeAK wrote:Very telling indeed, sj-roc. Although I am not surprised by those comments. They basically echo what I hear daily from local Lions fans I bump into. Obviously I have no hard numbers but I know the Lions have lost a big portion of Islanders who would travel over for games and grab a room for the night. The ticket prices have made that unreasonable for a regular season CFL game. Too bad indeed.

At $67 for car and driver each way on the ferry I would say that the days of boat loads of Lions fans is over, but afternoon Canuck games will likely still get fans over from the Island.

The transit system from the ferry to DT Van is actually quite good. Unless you had friends or family you wanted to visit I don't imagine one would need to take a car over. Hop on the ferry and then jump onto the city bus. Easy breezy. I did it for almost every Lions game for 5 years straight. With the gradual increase in ticket prices I just can't justify the cost anymore simply because I HAVE to stay over or miss the last half of the game in order to make the last ferry.
kenny
Champion

Any idea who has the final say on the ticket prices?

Is it one person or were a few people in on the decision to increase the price?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

kenny wrote:Any idea who has the final say on the ticket prices?

Is it one person or were a few people in on the decision to increase the price?
I suspect the business and marketing heads recommend the prices to the President who probably gives the owner an update remembering of course that David Braley is not one to interfere unless something was insane.

Possibly they consult with Waterboys (not sure there but in some other roles where I've been an advisor to a univ. athletic program they'd run policy issues by us before taking it to the higher ups and Board for final approval). That serves to get the community onside I guess.

Bobby Ackles used to say that the Lion marketing staff said that TV covered games dropped the walk ups by some 3000 tickets. I have heard that Vancouver is one of the largest walk up markets for events in North America. Can't recall that source for that though.

The Lions should be thinking of how to max. the number of bodies in the stadium and still make their revenue targets. I say this not knowing if their lease agreement for the stadium is a factor because you'd think the stadium wants to be as full as possible too for beverage sales (but more in seats means more security and costs).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MikeAK
All Star

I noticed that the BC Lions have finally switched over to a virtual seating map for online ticket ordering through Ticket Master. This allows a person to actually go into a section and see exactly what is available. No more "best available" searching. For all the negativity the Lions have received I think this is a huge plus for the ticket buyer and the Lions had done a good job here.
Tighthead
Legend

The problem with underwhelming attendance is it creates negative momentum. For many fans, say who normally attend 2-6 games per season, it is more fun with a bigger crowd. The stadium has more atmosphere, the event has more energy, etc. Many of us have been in the stadium during the dark days and it was a dismal experience in many ways. It is frankly less appealing with a smaller crowd.

Furthermore, demand creates deman, in that if Lions games are the place to be, more of the casual fans will want to be there.

I don't want to go all Laffer curve, but lowering prices may not lower revenue, and if done thoughtfully, could increase revenue.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote: Do the Lions have an exclusive agreement with another grocery chain? I recall they used to sell tickets through Safeway, though don't know if they still do. Assuming they aren't tied into an exclusive agreement, I think the Lions should work out some sort of arrangement whereby their tickets are available through various customer loyalty programs like Save-On Foods' points, etc.
They haven't been with Safeway for a number of years but did make the switch to 7-Eleven but it was in hiatus during the move to Empire before returning this season albeit hardly a great deal. You can get Lions tickets through the Air Miles rewards program which Safeway is one of the main sponsors.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/ProductTi ... =prod00306
jcalhoun wrote: I hate to sound like a class warrior (primarily because I'm a raging right-winger) but I wonder how clearly the Waterboys, Skulsky and Buono understand the financial implications of a game on the common man.
I think you might be on to something here James. With Skulsky's white collar background, his business plan/objective might have been to push the value of a Lions' ticket to solidify their position as the No. 2 pro sports team in this town. The cost increase could be justified by the move back into the renovated stadium and a team that was streaking towards the Grey Cup (when the 2012 season ticket and individual game prices were finalized sometime last fall). He then presents a 2012 budget to Braley that looks fanstastic on paper as long as the season ticket and game attendance numbers are realized. I'm guessing they are both off the mark so far.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:I noticed that the BC Lions have finally switched over to a virtual seating map for online ticket ordering through Ticket Master. This allows a person to actually go into a section and see exactly what is available. No more "best available" searching. For all the negativity the Lions have received I think this is a huge plus for the ticket buyer and the Lions had done a good job here.
Nice find MikeAK and you certainly get a better idea how many tickets have been sold leading up to game day. Not surprised to see those high priced corner end zone tickets basically unsold so far for the Edmonton game. It will be that way for much of the season.

I noticed there are now seats available in our section that was once filled with nothing but season ticket holders from 2004-2009. These seats were part of the old Gold price category (20 to 30 yard line) that up until the move back from Empire went for $420 per season ticket. Since the reno at BC Place provided padded seats between the 20s, all those sections are now coaches sideline. The price re-structure bumped up our season ticket price to $710 per seat so not too surprised to see not everyone renewed.