Riders 41 - Lions 38, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO the game was lost in the first half with all the field goals instead of TDs. This is a problem that has plagued BC all year and stems from a lack of a balanced Offence. You need the run and the threat of a run in the red zone or you don't get to the end zone.
rb
Champion

Belize City Lion wrote:
rb wrote: Here's my peeve. 3rd and 10 from Sask 45, :08 left in the 1st half. Why punt????? Go for it. If you miss, either the half is over or Sask has time for just one play which isn't going to do them any good. If you make it, you probably get a FG. Or wind up and throw a Hail Mary into the end zone. Anything but punt. Wally just wasted a nearly risk-free opportunity to try to put more points on the board.
I agree with not kicking a field goal because of the risk that a missed kick might get returned for a TD. But there were two options that were better than punting. A quick 5 yard pass to the sideline or a hail mary. If you make a short pass and get out of bounds THEN you kick at FG. If you complete the hail mary you might get a TD or a PI penalty. If the hail mary gets picked off the chances of the RIders running it back for a TD are extremely slim. Punting was a huge waste of an opportunity.
"Go for it" meant go for the first down (or the end zone) on that play, not try a 52-yard FG. My wording maybe wasn't quite clear in my initial post.

It was actually 3rd and about 9 or 10 to go so they'd have needed more than 5 yards, but for sure it's not that hard to get a 10-yard gain within seven seconds. The clock was stopped after the previous incompletion, and the clock stops after the play ends in the last three minutes so the time is adequate. You can throw the pass anywhere on the field and then hopefully the receiver is smart enough to go to the turf right there.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Lion Guy wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
Me too. I was yelling at the screen for them to go for it.
And if you remember, there was a penalty on the Riders on that extra point attempt.. "pyramiding".. half the distance to the goal...
We would've had a chance from the 2 and half yard line to win the game, not the 5..

But i mean, *sigh*, its so gutsy and politically incorrect if Wally decides to go for it and misses.. Unfortunately, the media response has to be in the back of Wally's mind in that case... It's unfortunate, but that's pro sports.

It would've been the right decision from the 5 to go for it IMO (all things considered-- sask offense on fire etc.)... and for sure the right decision from the 2 and a half... but as stated above, i can't blame Wally.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Tighthead
Legend

I think your chances of getting the 2 pointer are better than 50 %, and therefore it is the smart play (even though the threat of an immediate loss makes it seem riskier).

Remember when The Don went for two in a regular season game against the Leos to win it? They came up short and he was ripped by fans and media alike. If you have reason to believe your chances of success on the one play are better than your chances of going to OT, it is the smart play. The thing is, you can make the smart decision and still fail.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I told my wife that is sucked that the lions had to go first in second OT because now they wouldnt be in desparation mode and would kick a field goal. I expected the riders to TD again. Lions should have gone for it on 3rd down. All or nothing.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

At the risk of sounding like a whiner:

With this OT format, it's frustrating to know your team can't win it if the other team goes first and scores 8. You have to get 8 just to force another series and then go though it all over again. It's like being the road team in an extra inning baseball game and not scoring in the top of the 10th, then you need 6 outs and some runs in between to win. The other guys just need to score.

I've disliked the shootout format since day 1 — mainly because it removes special teams and clock management aspects from the game — and I haven't changed my mind. Bring back the two 5-min halves.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Personally, I like the NFL OT with one exception, that being that each team should have equal possessions.
Rodu
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:Personally, I like the NFL OT with one exception, that being that each team should have equal possessions.
Such as one team scores on their opening drive, other team has a chance to answer it?
Tighthead
Legend

Rodu wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Personally, I like the NFL OT with one exception, that being that each team should have equal possessions.
Such as one team scores on their opening drive, other team has a chance to answer it?
I think that is the new format for playoffs now? In the NFL, I don't need equal possessions, so long as a team gets one possession.

I agree with SJ Roc - the first time I saw the shootout in the NCAA I thought it was neat, but now it seems like a contrivance. The mandatory going for two seems like an extra contrivance - it is almost an acknowledgement that the format is flawed and therefore has to be manipulated.

I love the hidden yardage aspect of ST and the field position game, and that is gone for OT.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:
yeah, or if it takes 2 or 3 possesions for one team to score, then if possesions not even, the other team has a chance to match or better.

Sort of a blending between NFL and CFL OT
The_Pauser
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Rodu wrote:
yeah, or if it takes 2 or 3 possesions for one team to score, then if possesions not even, the other team has a chance to match or better.

Sort of a blending between NFL and CFL OT
I agree with this. I don't think it's that far out of an idea either really. Something so simple that makes so much sense, yet which seems too complex for the braintrust of either league to come up with.

Although of the two current OT systems, I'd take the CFL's anyday.
Roar you Lions roar!
tigerrr22
Starter

The_Pauser wrote:Lulay played very well yesterday, but he wasn't purrfect. He committed 2 turnovers to Durant's 0. Lulay also wasn't able to put up any points in the second half until the final second of the game. That's a story we've seen all too much over Lulay's starts here this season and something that needs to be fixed.

What Lulay did show was that he has heart, and when the game is on the line he has that clutch ability to make plays. That's huge and not something that can be taught or developed. I think this is something you either have or you don't. His consistency will develop, the playcalling hopefully will improve, and this Lulay kid will be something special as long as we can keep him and keep him healthy.
The Lions' offence did a disappearing act in the third quarter because of chicken *poop* play calling. I think Lulay had made two passing attempts up to the 12 minute mark of the third quarter. Run on first down and hit a wall. Second and long and here we go again. (Get the defence back out onto the field until they're gassed.) Play not to lose instead of play to win. the Lions should have played the second half like the score was 0-0 in a 30 minute game. Play to win the half. Play to outscore the opponents. Lulay can throw the damn ball. He had three dropped passes in crucial situations that cost the Lions 7 total points. They should 've been up 26-7 in the third quarter too.

They'd better give Travis Lulay a new contract for $450,000+ per season for three or more years. Fix the offensive line (Young import or two to add to the youth movement up front) and replace the offensive co-ordinator with a play caller that plays to win. An O-line that does not lead the league in sacks allowed and that CAN run the ball for 5 or more yards on first down while also protecting the QB with backs in the backfield says the Lions will be unstoppable in 2011. It all starts with Lulay. Every one of those dropped passes (Simon, Arceneaux, Robertson, Wilson) were right where the ball needs to be. On the hands or between the numbers.

Lulay has already arrived. He needs an offense that can keep him healthy and minimizes the running attempts (none on first down) with a loaded back field and throws to spread the defence out. Massive air attack that utilizes backs, receivers, tight ends and features a "QB only" running attack when it isn't there on first down. 2nd and short or bust in the CFL when the deeper pass is not there!

Dominic In Vancouver :2cents:
nelson95
Legend

Just sitting here fantisizing about a Boise State Statue of Liberty 2 point convert...

DD would have done it
Give the ball to LeeRoy!