Getting Ready For The Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Blitz wrote:LEOS IN A STRANGE UNDERDOG ROLE

“Not only has it been some time since the Lions weren't favourites in a playoff game, you might argue the same for any contest. So, presented with a rare opportunity, there was the predictable us-against-everyone-else theme to the start of the practice week and their West Division semifinal road game Saturday against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Truth is, this is going to be as different an assignment as it is difficult.

It started with a players-only meeting in which the Lions aired out the issues associated with their 41-30 loss to Calgary, and whether there was enough resolve to think they will prevail against the Riders so as to set up a rematch with the Stampeders in the Western final.” (Lowell Ullrich, Vancouver Province, Wednesday, November 5)
Darn I was looking for that, I knew that I read it somewhere. I guess that pretty much means some need to apologize on here to you.
Just happy that you didn't believe I would ever mislead you Rammer or the rest of the guys. Thank you for posting!!!!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
zark
Champion

I'll take back what "I" said. Maybe you "are" a Guru.
:wave:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote: Just happy that you didn't believe I would ever mislead you Rammer or the rest of the guys. Thank you for posting!!!!!!
If you had been upfront, this would have been different now, wouldn't it? So you omit a key piece of info and coming out smelling like a rose? Hmm, not so sure.

I made it clear that I didn't think you were misleading us. But the spin is, that is what I was saying, which I was not. I also made it clear that when you had an opportunity to clarify your source you didn't. Why? Look at my first post of the subject again. Why didn't you just say "it was in the paper"? Gosh I must be nuts to question something after a PLAYER calls it BS! Key fact to remember here, I didn't call you out on that point, a player did, yet you choose not so clarify. Now that's misleading. You knew what the reasonable conclusion was based on what was written here, that's why you let it go on. You omitted the fact that your source was the paper, which I don't read in the US. If you had clarified your "source" none of this would have been a issue.

So you had a good source (the paper, who wudda thunk) and you therefore didn't mislead us about the players only meeting (again I stated that I didn't think you were misleading us), but you did mislead us in a different way.

You mislead us by not clarifying the source when asked. Omitting the key bit of info was a cute move Blitz! And a misleading one, well done.

Your track record begs us to occasionally question your sources and methods of writing. Recently, as if a fly on the wall, you were telling us what one coach told another, there is a pattern. Of course there are several copy and paste incidents, and posting your "scouting reports" that you only clarify are someone else's writing after you are questioned.

The lesson is be upfront. So often you aren't. Perhaps accidentally, but this time it was on purpose.

I gave my honest opinion on this matter, but didn't have all the facts. Blitz wasn't telling the whole story, but had the facts, just chose to omit them. So no apology is due on this one. Heck I'm still waiting for Blitz to apologize for saying to me, "I dare to to say it to my face, because that will be the last time you say it". Of course most of that thread was "accidentally" deleted as sometimes happens when Blitz gets any scrutiny.

I know lots of you don't like me questioning Blitz, but I assure you the copy and pastes, and incidents of shadowy sources are down because of it!

One last thing. We still have a BC Lion saying that meeting never happened.

GO LIONS!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
pennw
Legend

Could it be that Blitz perhaps read about a "players meeting" then forgot where he had read it , and took time to find the source? I did read that in the Province too , but forgot where i seen it . Then seeing what was on here, wondered where that bit of info came from too , after Jason said there was no such meeting . Perhaps Blitz should be given the benefit of the doubt .
The question then remains Ulrich says there was a meeting , Jason says nope . Who's right ? will we ever know? At any rate the important thing is there is a football game to be played today , let's hope that whatever happened it reflects in a win today .
Blitz
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Could it be that Blitz perhaps read about a "players meeting" then forgot where he had read it , and took time to find the source? I did read that in the Province too , but forgot where i seen it . Then seeing what was on here, wondered where that bit of info came from too , after Jason said there was no such meeting . Perhaps Blitz should be given the benefit of the doubt .
The question then remains Ulrich says there was a meeting , Jason says nope . Who's right ? will we ever know? At any rate the important thing is there is a football game to be played today , let's hope that whatever happened it reflects in a win today .
You're right...the important thing is to focus on the Riders game today pennw. This whole thread has gotten sidetracked by an attempt to discredit me and it's obvious from the last post it's personal...and once again the attacks come from a poster who also posts on The Lions Den...a coincidence perhaps... but a pattern...yes...

What a lot of fuss over a simple statement about a players only meeting...and accusatios that I was being "disloyal to our Leos", "leaking info", "undermining the team". I'm surprised I wasn't accused of being the shooter on the grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963. :sigh: bclion 16 began by saying it wasn't personal but his last post shows that it's very personal and from now on I'll try to deal with it individually with him. I hope that the comment that our Leos had a players meeting has not given the Riders a tremendous edge in this game today and badly hurt our chances of victory. :roll:

So back to Getting Ready For The Riders...

Earlier this week I wrote that I hoped our Leos would drop Clarence Coleman and activitate Nande at linebacker. The reason was simple. Stopping Wes Cates and not allowing Bishop to roll to his right are the keys to stopping the Riders offence. While Nande may only play special teams if we are playing well on defense the addition of Nande allows us to play three imports at linebacker. It would allow us, if needed, to move Jamal Johnson into the middle on first down, giving us more quicks there. Or we could move Otis into the middle in certain packages, where he is a bigger linebacker and harder to move.

We also need to be able to track down Bishop on the rollout. The key there would be to have Wake lining up on the left side of our defense, which he usually does anyway and also having a linebacker on the outside to track him down. Jamal Johnson has the speed to do that and Otis Floyd, when inspired, can do that also and Otis Floyd is really up for this game.

Buck sounded very confident in his interview yesterday. He said he felt confident and knew what he could do against the Riders defence. The key of course is protection and time. Something that hasn't been talked about a lot on Lionbackers after the loss to Calgary is what a great game our offensive line played in that game. They opened up a lot of holes for Logan and only allowed Buck to be sacked once. Buck had a lot of time to throw in that game, on most occasions.

Saskatchewan was sixth in the league in quarterback sacks during the season. The leading defensive lineman in getting to the quarterback for Saskatchewan was Jones, who had 5 sacks. Time is a key for a young quarterback like Buck and our line will likely give him that time today unless the Riders bring the blitz. It will be interesting to see how Richie Hall plays it early on defence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote: To be fair to Blitz, just because a player comes on the forum and says that there was no such meeting does not make it a fact. I guess as fans we really don't know for sure one way or the other.
Jason.. during the players meeting laughs.. hey guys.. check out the extra ten pages of squbbling I started by denying the meeting.. lol
zark
Champion

What do you do with Glatt? It's not status qou with him. I can easily see Cates running right over him. Or at least running 6-8 yards before getting tackled. Glatt's not very good at plugging up the holes.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Blitz
Team Captain

zark wrote:What do you do with Glatt? It's not status qou with him. I can easily see Cates running right over him. Or at least running 6-8 yards before getting tackled. Glatt's not very good at plugging up the holes.
I'm guessing that our Leos will start Glatt in the middle but we chose to activiate Nande and drop Coleman. I suggested we do that early in the week because it gives us more options. However, I believe that activing Nande is to give us depth and an extra guy who can tackle for special teams. However, it does allow us to move Jamal Johnson or Floyd into the middle if we feel we want to and use Nande outside. If Cates starts rolling on the run inside we could either move Glatt outside or put Nande outside. I really don't see Wally playing a guy in a big playoff game, who hasn't played a single down this season, easily but at the same time, we just can't afford to let Wes Cates run on us easily all game.

My guess is that Nande is there in case of injury, for special teams, and in a couple of specific packages to stop the run if we really need to change things up. Glatt needs to step up today huge....in fact all our linebackers do.

The only other change I suggested for this game, outside of dropping Coleman and activating Nande was to take Ty Williiams out. We havent' done that so we also need to get Foley into the rotation. He's fast, Bishop likes to roll out, and we can slip Brent Johnson inside on second down with Foley and Wake at the defensive end spots on second down. I sure hope we see that today.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:
Blitz wrote:Certainly, lionguy's post makes me question what I am doing on this board. Perhaps I have not seen myself accurately. Perhaps, instead of being viewed as someone who just wanted to talk football and share thoughts....I am being viewed differently than that and there is resentment towards me. It feels that way in reading lionguy and bclions16 posts. Perhaps I need to step back....and I'll do that. Enjoy the game on Saturday and I hope we can turn this disappointing third place finish into something postive in the playoffs.
This will ruffle some feathers, but I'm honestly questioning what Blitz is doing here too. Please hear me out.

For argument sake, let's assume what Blitz says about the meeting is the truth; that's far more troubling than Blitz and his source posting incorrect information as fact.

If the players want to keep something private, those loyal to the team should want to respect that privacy. So if you take Blitz at his word, then he and his "inside" source are clearly being disloyal to the team.

So yes Blitz, what are you doing?

There are only two logical conclusions here; Blitz and his "deep throat" are either full of *poop* or he's colluding to undermine the team.
I have sent an email to '99, and have it confirmed that Blitz really is an agent of Kaos. :roll:
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote:bclion 16 began by saying it wasn't personal but his last post shows that it's very personal and from now on I'll try to deal with it individually with him. I hope that the comment that our Leos had a players meeting has not given the Riders a tremendous edge in this game today and badly hurt our chances of victory. :roll:
At the beginning it wasn't personal, but yes it became more so by your critical omission. While it wasn't the case, it APPEARED that you were leaking something the players didn't want leaked when a player rebutted your statement, and when you could have stopped any speculation, you created a set-up by choosing to withhold your "source" (the Province :tease: ) instead of just saying that you read it in the paper when questioned.

So I'm not impressed with your tactics here, but on one of many points I do owe you an apology: Without reservation, I am sorry to assume and state that you were trying to undermine the team.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Rammer
Team Captain

bclions16 wrote:
Blitz wrote:bclion 16 began by saying it wasn't personal but his last post shows that it's very personal and from now on I'll try to deal with it individually with him. I hope that the comment that our Leos had a players meeting has not given the Riders a tremendous edge in this game today and badly hurt our chances of victory. :roll:
At the beginning it wasn't personal, but yes it became more so by your critical omission. While it wasn't the case, it APPEARED that you were leaking something the players didn't want leaked when a player rebutted your statement, and when you could have stopped any speculation, you created a set-up by choosing to withhold your "source" (the Province :tease: ) instead of just saying that you read it in the paper when questioned.

So I'm not impressed with your tactics here, but on one of many points I do owe you an apology: Without reservation, I am sorry to assume and state that you were trying to undermine the team.
So what you are saying is that because Blitz appeared to have said something that he didn't have basis for, where your entire theory(s) were/are pure speculation, he should be more accountable? Hmmm......that doesn't add up very well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bclions16
Champion

Rammer wrote: So what you are saying is that because Blitz appeared to have said something that he didn't have basis for, where your entire theory(s) were/are pure speculation, he should be more accountable? Hmmm......that doesn't add up very well.
My issue is that he could see where it was going, and he allowed it by choosing not to simply say, "I read it in the paper" when he had every opportunity. Instead he challenged me to a bet at the very time he could have referenced the article that he did later. So he had his own agenda while this was going on. Sorry to question his source and actually expect a straight up answer! But agree with me or not, a few of us find it necessary to occasionally question the source of his content given what we perceive as poorly referenced sources and copy & pasted content presented in a, shall we say, "unclear" manner in the past.

Where were Blitz' friends getting on him when he was suggesting a violent way to solve a dispute with me?

My apology to Blitz as stated remains, yet now I feel justified in reminding you that I never got one from him when it was clearly deserved.
Last edited by bclions16 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lion24
Legend

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
bclions16
Champion

lion24 wrote::surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Hey I thought my apology a few posts up was going to be a good way to end, but if questioned on this, I'll continue to be happy to state my case. :bang:
lion24
Legend

bclions16 wrote:
lion24 wrote::surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Hey I thought my apology a few posts up was going to be a good way to end, but if questioned on this, I'll continue to be happy to state my case. :bang:
I am not siding with you or Blitz but as Lion fans shouldn't we all be happy and getting ready for the stamps.....Relax I am on your side :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP