Canucks are Unveiling(sp) their New Uniforms on August 29th.

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

GeroySimonFAN wrote:IMO...I think that the VANCOUVER should only be on the AWAY(White) Sweater...why do they have to put it on both? Some NBA Teams have Jerseys with their city name on them but usually only on their AWAY Jersey(or 3rd jersey)..
That is very common in MLB. The majority of teams will have either their nickname or logo on the home threads and the city name on the road uniforms. Having now seen the Canuck jerseys I was quite surprised they didn't say CANUCKS on the home blues and VANCOUVER on the road whites. My guess is they'll conveniently change that in a year or two and sell a bunch more jerseys.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
GeroySimonFAN wrote:IMO...I think that the VANCOUVER should only be on the AWAY(White) Sweater...why do they have to put it on both? Some NBA Teams have Jerseys with their city name on them but usually only on their AWAY Jersey(or 3rd jersey)..
That is very common in MLB. The majority of teams will have either their nickname or logo on the home threads and the city name on the road uniforms. Having now seen the Canuck jerseys I was quite surprised they didn't say CANUCKS on the home blues and VANCOUVER on the road whites. My guess is they'll conveniently change that in a year or two and sell a bunch more jerseys.
I think it's an attempt at an Olympic tie-in -- there will be tourists here in 2010 who don't know cross checking from helmets and they'll be buying stuff marked with Vancouver. They won't be the least bit interested in anything marked Canucks, so they are trying to ride on those coattails.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

My thoughts are they sucked at first, and now I really like them. The thing that ticks me off isn't the busyness so much, it's that the home jerseys don't say Canucks...it says Vancouver (like we wouldn't know)...I'll buy one
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The deal behind the wordmark was to pay homage to the previous teams that have called Vancouver home, the Millionaires and the WHL version of the Canucks who used lettering on the front of their jerseys as part of the logo.

The reason the orca logo was kept is that the team executives were tired of having a brand new look every 10 years and wanted to establish a sense of tradition. Having a team exist for just 38 years and the prospect of a 4th radical logo change in that time wasn't something they were prepared to do. Good move if you ask me because for the longest time people complained that the Canucks were a team with an identity crisis for that very reason.

Good move on going back to the original colors though, that has always been the best color scheme in the Canucks' history and maintaining the horizontal stripes and not caving in to the vertical trend was also a smart move. In a few years, vertical stripes will look very dated. Horizontal stripes have been on hockey jerseys for decades upon decades and that kind of style will always look good on a hockey jersey.

I personally love the new look but I figured that most people would hate it so I'm not really surprised by the responses.
smphantom
Legend

Ed Willes sums it all up in his article:

It's all a cash grab
Stay thirsty my friends.
pinkfreud

smphantom wrote:Ed Willes sums it all up in his article:

It's all a cash grab
Good article. There's no doubt the NHL is more about the cash grab than the CFL is. This is one of the things that makes the CFL more attractive in my mind and a rare reprieve from other entertainment enterprises that charge obscene amounts of money simply because they can. I try to keep this in mind when I wish the CFL was as diffusely marketed as the NHL. I hope 10 years from now we aren't longing for the days when parking cost more than a football ticket. It's kind of nice to see your interest (e.g. the Lions) reflected by the masses, but not if it drives ticket prices up.
Rammer
Team Captain

pinkfreud wrote:

It's all a cash grab
Good article. There's no doubt the NHL is more about the cash grab than the CFL is. This is one of the things that makes the CFL more attractive in my mind and a rare reprieve from other entertainment enterprises that charge obscene amounts of money simply because they can. I try to keep this in mind when I wish the CFL was as diffusely marketed as the NHL. I hope 10 years from now we aren't longing for the days when parking cost more than a football ticket. It's kind of nice to see your interest (e.g. the Lions) reflected by the masses, but not if it drives ticket prices up.
Lions have their fair share of jersey's out there from recent years.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Good move on going back to the original colors though, that has always been the best color scheme in the Canucks' history and maintaining the horizontal stripes and not caving in to the vertical trend was also a smart move. In a few years, vertical stripes will look very dated. Horizontal stripes have been on hockey jerseys for decades upon decades and that kind of style will always look good on a hockey jersey.
Yabbut, horizontal stripes make you look fat :)
I personally love the new look but I figured that most people would hate it so I'm not really surprised by the responses.
QFT.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:

It's all a cash grab
Lions have their fair share of jersey's out there from recent years.

One thing I will give the BC Lions great credit for is their jersey selections despite the regimes running the club in the bleak period. BC Lions have never had anything but a jersey that even opposing fans always felt were superb.

The Canucks have been all over the map and unlike the Lions have changed colour schemes dramatically putting them into a no-win situation with their fans no matter what version they chose.

If I were a Canucks fan from outside the lower mainland I'd be a bit angry that they put "VANCOUVER" on the front of the jersey almost telling those who are not in the city or the local environs that this is not British Columbia's team. How stupid is that???? This makes a mockery out of those ads if you are not in Vancouver when they use the tag line "We are all Canucks". Would the marketing department talk to the uniform design team???

If your son/daughter asks you to buy that uniform and you live in the south east, north, north central, Okanagan, Peace country - would you be breaking down the doors of the local sport shops to buy a jersey that has VANCOUVER on the front?? Maybe the numbers outside the lower mainland who buy justify this slight but to me it is dumb move on their part.

I gather from the Q and A with the Canucks CEO - who has for the first time messed up his reputation as a fan favourite - that they cannot divulge the name of the designer for the new uniforms. Based on the fan reaction so far, the designers had a stroke of genius when they signed off on that clause! I'd be embarrassed to have my name associated with this design format too especially if there was good money paid to an outside firm.

I saw better designs on the internet done by fans with photoshop skills!!!

They might have had a competition with season tickets for 20 years for the winner or some such thing and got fan support to choose a winner.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I gather from the Q and A with the Canucks CEO - who has for the first time messed up his reputation as a fan favourite - that they cannot divulge the name of the designer for the new uniforms. Based on the fan reaction so far, the designers had a stroke of genius when they signed off on that clause! I'd be embarrassed to have my name associated with this design format too especially if there was good money paid to an outside firm.
I can't stand listening to Chris Zimmerman. I just wish he'd address something candidly for once. Instead, I hear the same phony "marketing speak" response to every question ("it's all about tapping into the loyalty of our passionate fans to embrace our brand" - or nonsense to that effect). :roll:

Dave Nonis and Steve Tambellini are breaths of fresh air as voices of the organization.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:If I were a Canucks fan from outside the lower mainland I'd be a bit angry that they put "VANCOUVER" on the front of the jersey almost telling those who are not in the city or the local environs that this is not British Columbia's team.
:whs: I think it might give Canucks fans who are not Vancouverites (or not residents of BC or not even in Canada) pause also before they would don a jersey saying VANCOUVER when they live thousands of miles away.
Toppy Vann wrote:I gather from the Q and A with the Canucks CEO - who has for the first time messed up his reputation as a fan favourite - that they cannot divulge the name of the designer for the new uniforms. Based on the fan reaction so far, the designers had a stroke of genius when they signed off on that clause! I'd be embarrassed to have my name associated with this design format too especially if there was good money paid to an outside firm.
Yup. And, in view of the amateurish nature of the new jersey design, I wonder if it might not have been the brainstorm of ownership. Thus, the desire to keep the identity of the "artist" secret. Otherwise, why hide that identity? With all the hoopla attending the launch of the jersey, one would normally expect to hear the name of the design firm. My hunch is that one of the principal owner's deserves "credit" for the design.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Somebody's cousin who is interested in Design methinks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Soundy wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote:Good move on going back to the original colors though, that has always been the best color scheme in the Canucks' history and maintaining the horizontal stripes and not caving in to the vertical trend was also a smart move. In a few years, vertical stripes will look very dated. Horizontal stripes have been on hockey jerseys for decades upon decades and that kind of style will always look good on a hockey jersey.
Yabbut, horizontal stripes make you look fat :)
I don't need horizontal stripes to make me look fat though so it's all good! :lol:
CartWheelFan
All Star

Okay, I'm a DIEHARD Flames fan so I don't really give a s**t either way about the Cansucks uniforms, but WOW... BARF!!!

Not liking the new threads! Makes me VERY worried about the new Flames uni's! :? :bawl:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Yup. And, in view of the amateurish nature of the new jersey design, I wonder if it might not have been the brainstorm of ownership. Thus, the desire to keep the identity of the "artist" secret. Otherwise, why hide that identity? With all the hoopla attending the launch of the jersey, one would normally expect to hear the name of the design firm. My hunch is that one of the principal owner's deserves "credit" for the design.
Nope, it was a design firm and one not in this country.