How big a crowd would David Beckham draw here?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Sharpo wrote:I plan to boo beckham out of the building!. Its disgusting whats happened.
Well before you do that, just keep in mind that several months ago, David Beckham took the time to phone a very big fan of his in Hamilton. At the request of the girl's mother and with no publicity (at least until the local newspapers got ahold of the story), he picked up the phone to send along a get well message to this young female soccer player who was dying of cancer.

A few days after their talk, she received in the mail an autographed Real Madrid jersey and an offer to reach out to him if ever she needed anything. Sadly, she succumbed to her illness a short time later but it was reported that her spirits lifted considerably and she was deeply touched by this act of kindness from her idol.

Just something to think about before you "boo Beckham out of the building...."

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Lionut wrote:It's an excellent idea to bring David Beckham over. After all, signing aging, washed up European stars worked so well for the NASL! :roll: It's funny to see this happening, because for those of us who remember the first incarnation of the NASL in the late 70s this is like watching disco make a comeback.

The initial buzz that was generated when Beckham signed has faded already, and he hasn't even played his first game. Sure, he'll draw a big crowd for the first game he plays in various cities, including Vancouver, but how about the second and third time? When Pele, whom I gather was a better player than Beckham ever dreamed of being, made his rounds in North America, he drew huge crowds initially, but that didn't stop the NASL from eventually closing up shop. This movie has been run so many times before -- the WHA signing Bobby Hull, the WFL signing Larry Czonka, the USFL signing Doug Flutie -- and every time it collapses like a bad souffle. Enjoy the game, soccer fans, but don't go thinking that Beckham is going to be the catalyst for an explosion of interest in pro soccer in North America. One guy simply can't do that.
To be fair, the WHA did continue teams within the NHL. But I agree with you the price tag involved for Beckham is a recipe for disaster, in fact it is the only route that is possible.
You'd be right but my understanding is that the money Beckham will receive is from sponsors and endorsements not the soccer club. There is not a parallel to what happened when the bottom fell out of the player transfer market and ended the NASL. Regardless of the outcome, there were some pretty fine soccer players that we got to see in the NASL - and all weren't done performing at a high level. Our best appearance in the World Cup in Mexico in 1986 to me came as a result of that league and Canadians playing in North America at a high level. Granted by 86 the league was gone but the players on our national side had been seasoned to some extent in the NASL.

David Beckham to me is not and never was one of the top players in the world even at his peak. He had a special skill in making crosses and brilliant free kicks but his play making skills were nothing out of the ordinary for a pro soccer player, and I'd not have built an England team with him as a MF centrepiece or captain but I guess that smacks of looking back on England's results in the World Cup. He obviously has some skills or he 'd not
have done so well with Man United and Real Madrid to a lesser extent. Beckham is also a hot marketing commodity and this confuses the situation a bit and gets him some heat for his play.

At the world level, these soccer stars make an NFL or NHL player appear like unknowns on the world stage. Beckham is a marketing marvel. What I find ironic in that is that he is a not a well spoken guy when he opens his mouth. He just has the look and name the marketers love.

David is right - Beckham should not be booed. He has made a contribution to the game of soccer and that phone call to that young Canadian woman dying of cancer should cut him a lot of slack with Canadians.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Well if it's an exhibition game, what's the big deal? What's the incentive for Beckham to go all out? And what's the incentive for 60,000 people to move their butts into the dome that evening as opposed to, say, going to a movie, nightclub, staying at home and watching tv, etc.

And those games down in Seattle that drew 67,000: were those also exhibition games or were they games that counted for points in standings?
The were exhibition games but did include the top players from the teams IIRC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
120dB wrote:Well if it's an exhibition game, what's the big deal? What's the incentive for Beckham to go all out? And what's the incentive for 60,000 people to move their butts into the dome that evening as opposed to, say, going to a movie, nightclub, staying at home and watching tv, etc.

And those games down in Seattle that drew 67,000: were those also exhibition games or were they games that counted for points in standings?
Seems to me that Seattle exhibition game was between Manchester United and another top European club team of a similar high profile. Can't remember if it was Real Madrid or who. I know of several people from Prince George who went down to Seattle for that game. In soccer parlances the game was a "friendly".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Seems to me that Seattle exhibition game was between Manchester United and another top European club team of a similar high profile. Can't remember if it was Real Madrid or who. I know of several people from Prince George who went down to Seattle for that game. In soccer parlances the game was a "friendly".

Manchester United plays Juventus during the “ChampionsWorld Summer 2003 Tourâ€
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Ticket sales sit at 33,000 after going on sale to the general public on Saturday. Upper bowl sections now being opened up.

It has an excellent shot at 50,000 given how the Lower Mainland grasps on to things being an "event" rather than a game and just how many people are involved in soccer in B.C.

Good on the Whitecaps and hopefully they can make the most out of being in the sporting spotlight.
footy
All Star

I'm pretty confident the way this game is being marketed that it will draw at least 50,000 mostly just the curious but heck if the Caps can make a bit of cash great.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Manchester United plays Juventus during the “ChampionsWorld Summer 2003 Tourâ€
120dB
Legend

No pairs left in the Lower Bowl, only singles left! We're on our way to 60,000 !
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Best way to show any displeasure you may have with Beckham, is to not go.
120dB
Legend

ticket sales now at about 40,000
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I saw the Whitecaps defeat Pele and the New York Cosmos 5 - 3 at Empire Stadium in 1977. That was a thrill.

I would vote for Pele as the greatest soccer player of all time. Next for me would be Zinedine Zidane, despite the shame of being sent off in the last game of the World Cup.

As far as Beckham goes, I think it is all about hype and publicity and a celebrity lifestyle. I can't even think of any world-class achievements of his, especially when you look at the achievements of Pele and Zidane.

I wouldn't take a free ticket to see him play, or even watch him on TV. Apologies to any Beckham fans, but this is an opinion piece.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
David is right - Beckham should not be booed. He has made a contribution to the game of soccer and that phone call to that young Canadian woman dying of cancer should cut him a lot of slack with Canadians.
Yes, I was moved when I read that story. My hat is off to Beckham for that graceful and thoughtful act. :rockin:

As a soccer player, however, ... :? why the hype?
LFITQ
Team Captain

Zinedine Zidane, despite the shame of being sent off in the last game of the World Cup.
Shame? After it all came out and what the opposing player said to him - I hold Zinedane in even higher regard than ever before that he didn't kill the twit. That was a black spot for FIFA letting him get kicked out like that and then only giving the other player a hand slap after the fact ... But it's not like FIFA has never blown it for to the detriment of their game in NA.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Shame? After it all came out and what the opposing player said to him - I hold Zinedane in even higher regard than ever before that he didn't kill the twit. That was a black spot for FIFA letting him get kicked out like that and then only giving the other player a hand slap after the fact ... But it's not like FIFA has never blown it for to the detriment of their game in NA.
Yeah, as he is my favorite player, my sympathies were all with him. The defender suckered him into the foul quite cleverly. What are you gonna do? Defend your sister's honor or try to win the game? Of course, he didn't even think about it, he just reacted from the heart. His legacy and reputation and honor are big enough to surpass even this red card.