Max Hall to start in Bombers' QB Carousel

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

It looked awful on Sportscentre, yesterday. The things Goltz/Pierce were saying are symptomatic of larger problems. These three guys are suppossed to be working together (Hall, Pierce, Goltz). I would be really choked too had I had to be part of whats gone on the past three weeks/so. Oh, Goltz, you are are starter for the rest of the season (BUT NOT). Etc. Etc. Etc. Just seems a little amateur hour, IMO.

I do hope the Bombers get things fixed and get a good team on the field. I'm going to the Bomber game in WPG. Won't be surprised if it is actually quite friendly with Bomber faithful in the stadium. I'm sure I'll hear a range of opinions of whats wrong, instead of a constant barrage of LIONS SUCK! (which I'm sure we'll have to endure anyways).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:It looked awful on Sportscentre, yesterday. The things Goltz/Pierce were saying are symptomatic of larger problems. These three guys are suppossed to be working together (Hall, Pierce, Goltz). I would be really choked too had I had to be part of whats gone on the past three weeks/so. Oh, Goltz, you are are starter for the rest of the season (BUT NOT). Etc. Etc. Etc. Just seems a little amateur hour, IMO.

I do hope the Bombers get things fixed and get a good team on the field. I'm going to the Bomber game in WPG. Won't be surprised if it is actually quite friendly with Bomber faithful in the stadium. I'm sure I'll hear a range of opinions of whats wrong, instead of a constant barrage of LIONS SUCK! (which I'm sure we'll have to endure anyways).
Symptomatic is to put it mildly. It is not that they won't work together but having said that as pros your first concern is for your job and role and I don't blame these guys for facing the media and being blunt but still within the right bounds. I read Goltz's Twitter feed since being named no. 1 and when you see it in the context of friends and family as well as his job you can see how this would make the guy angry and humiliated.

It is looking like Tim Burke sees that Miller time is about to mean he's looking for a new job.

From Burke's vantage point it's more of the same old gong show where first it's Crowton hired by Mack without Lapo's say, then Lapo gassed and now Miller hiring Marcel B as a consultant without any say from Burke (or at least it looks that way).

Then Acting GM Walters is appointed and it doesn't seem Burke factored into those discussions and shortly after his first statement I think was him dumping on the lack of communication with the QBs and how it won't happen again.

It doesn't take a defensive genius to starting looking to connect these dots and starting to see a picture of you dusting off your coaching resume looking for a new gig with your next game very likely your last.

Burke saying he is letting the OFF coaches determine the starter is about as close to quitting on your team as it gets. If they truly and honestly feel Hall is the next coming they should see that tossing him out there with their OFF sucking as badly as it is now is not going to help him and Burke would be better to toss Buck out there and blame any future injury on Buck for getting hurt and Mack for letting them go into this year with him as no. 1. Buck at no. 3 and now 2 is stupid (might be good for Buck though to keep him safe while this gong show gets sorted out).

Honestly if I were Buck I might take be looking towards Marcel being the next savior and how he might just want to come in and get the team going in the right direction and both play and protect Buck.

If Buck were smart he'd now realize that not only are there no medals for getting hurt for your team there is not loyalty towards you either. It's purely a business and you get to stay and play if you are healthy, productive and contributing. If not, you're about as welcome there as Doug Berry at Sunday dinner over at Darian Durant's.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Check out this video.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 26201.html
Walters in charge... for now
Acting CEO names interim GM, insists he has full control of football ops

By: Paul Wiecek

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 10 | Last Modified: 6:54 AM | Updates

But while he's green as grass -- and greener than the neglected lawn I turned over to him -- big things are expected of Walters. While he has received no guarantees he will continue to occupy the GM's office beyond the end of this season -- Miller said Tuesday the club will conduct an "exhaustive" search for candidates at the end of the year -- Walters' future as a Bombers employee of some kind is secure.

"No matter where we go with this search," said Miller, "(Walters) will be a part of this organization going forward and start providing some stability in the football operations."

It's a monument to just how chaotic the Bombers organization has become in recent years that three-year employees are now held up as models of stability upon which to build. But that's what you get with a team that, if things don't turn around soon, will soon be paying more people not to work for them (hello Paul LaPolice, Buchko, Mack et al) then they are paying those who actually still do work for the team.
The Bombers could be an award winning day and night time soap opera and you don't need to bring in any actors. These guys fit right in to the needed drama and over acting on anything.

Just watch the first minute of Miller introducing Walters and I guess Walters doesn't know the camera is on him too. Squirming like a 10 year old with a bad case of worms. Miller turns it over to Walters who says nothing and a voice says, we'll take questions. You can't make this stuff up.

Every day they just keep serving it up.

By the way, Walters (according to Miller) has done a terrific job since Friday.

Miller admits to bringing in Marcel B "working with Kyle and Tim."

On HC not taking responsibility for naming HC, Walters says its up to the HC to handle depth chart as he sees fit. So much for clearing that communications problem.

"Proper people making are making the right decisions now" but in the same breath they are working out "getting roles defined" according to Miller. This guy get too many hits on the head without his football helmet or what as LBJ used to say of Gerry Ford many years back.

Walters seems like a decent guy cast in a role for which he has no control over the script and is in tough for his first GM gig. I wish him well but yikes.

Walters says communications with players is fixed. Naive at best.

These questions on perception seem to have kept coming and now the video just stops like an Egyptian military coup or China internet feed.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Check out this video.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 26201.html

The Bombers could be an award winning day and night time soap opera and you don't need to bring in any actors. These guys fit right in to the needed drama and over acting on anything.
Walters seems like a decent guy cast in a role for which he has no control over the script and is in tough for his first GM gig. I wish him well but yikes.

Walters says communications with players is fixed. Naive at best.

These questions on perception seem to have kept coming and now the video just stops like an Egyptian military coup or China internet feed.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the video. Walters is the one who makes the most sense but even he was puzzling at times. You weren't part of the prior stuff but you know its been fixed? I just hope for the players sake that Walters can do what it seems like he's hoping to do.

In some ways it reminded me of the Oilers. Lets fire Mactavish as Coach and a year/so replace the GM with Mactavish. I know they are different situations. It just seems odd how some teams make choices. I'm glad as a Lions fan that Buono made so much sense (except to the Stamps fans who didn't want him fired) to be hired as our GM. I know Buono is our GM for awhile but it does make one wonder, whose next?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It is after midnight here but I just couldn't go to sleep without checking to see the Bomber's next soap opera segment and of course I was disappointed. Having read that they snuck Deangelis onto the field after a practice this week, sure enough he's joined the circus!!!
Paul Friesen
Here's the kicker: Winnipeg Blue Bombers add kicking soap opera to three-ring circus

Paul Friesen
By Paul Friesen ,Winnipeg Sun

First posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:07 PM CDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:40 PM CDT

“I’m not here to rock the boat,” he said. “I’m not here to cause controversy. I just want to fit in any way that I can.”

He already does.

In fact, he’s just what the circus needed.
When I get up about 5 pm Vancouver time, I'm sure we'll get a double chapter - something has to happen.

Reed is looking like a HOF coach in comparison to these guys.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Well, after watching the video, I feel kind of bad for Walters. He looked like a deer in the headlights. Unprepared to talk during the press conference. No opening statement. Nervous.

His awkwardness with the media might not matter. What matters is his organizational leadership, his judgment of talent, his judgment of coaching. And paperwork. Can he keep the trains running on time?

Nevertheless the image we get of Bomber chaos continues.
David
Team Captain

Reporter: "Kyle, what are your priorities?"

KW: "....just make sure things continue to run smooth in our organization, is what my main objective is short-term."

Continue to run "smooth"?!? :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:It is after midnight here but I just couldn't go to sleep without checking to see the Bomber's next soap opera segment and of course I was disappointed. Having read that they snuck Deangelis onto the field after a practice this week, sure enough he's joined the circus!!!
I found out about Deangelis on ourbombers.com Little bit of grumbling but in a lot of ways Bomber fans seem to be waiting and giving the new regime a chance. I have to admit there have been times I was just shaking my head with how the Lions were being run, even during the Buono years (thankfully I was dead wrong that year 2011). Curious as to what BlueinBC is thinking on the topic of the new regime......
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:It is after midnight here but I just couldn't go to sleep without checking to see the Bomber's next soap opera segment and of course I was disappointed. Having read that they snuck Deangelis onto the field after a practice this week, sure enough he's joined the circus!!!
I found out about Deangelis on ourbombers.com Little bit of grumbling but in a lot of ways Bomber fans seem to be waiting and giving the new regime a chance. I have to admit there have been times I was just shaking my head with how the Lions were being run, even during the Buono years (thankfully I was dead wrong that year 2011). Curious as to what BlueinBC is thinking on the topic of the new regime......
I suspect many of the Bombers fans can't see the forest for the trees as they are so close to the situation that it is hard at times to get perspective. Some fans will want anything just to get a change. The sad thing is that even the HC with the QB situation is down to that same feeling.

The new regime with Acting on the two key positions and the new Pres. building a hangman's scaffold for the coaching staff with Marcel in waiting has about as much permanence to it as the Egyptian Presidency after the Arab Spring. You would have thought that he'd have taken at least an Eric Tillman approach and support the coach and not let it affect the current season. Tillman made it clear that Richie Hall was not out in Edmonton and let him be a candidate for the HC but he didn't like what he heard and had seen as a HC and he went to Kavis Reed. But this guy in Burke has been moved to the Death Row for HC's with Marcel there.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I suspect many of the Bombers fans can't see the forest for the trees as they are so close to the situation that it is hard at times to get perspective. ....
...... But this guy in Burke has been moved to the Death Row for HC's with Marcel there.
All good points Toppy Vann. IMO, its not just the Bomber fans, its also obvious that the Bombers QB's can't see the forest for the trees either and that is why they were so honest the other day.

Personally, liked how Marcel ran his previous HC gig. Transitions are important. Hope Walters can settle things down for the sake of the Bomber players and fans.........
Last edited by notahomer on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With Marcel Bellefuelle there is it the HC or is it the OC that needs to worry? I'm not sure that Burke is all that concerned because at this point he probably wouldn't mind out of the Bombers Gong Show with his salary intact.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Darrin Bauming ... tsn.ca
"Obviously I'm a humble person right now, but at the same time I know I'm a good football coach," added Crowton. "I've won a lot of games. I've won many championships. And I think I can do it here. I'm trying to get the right combination for our team, for this particular team. Getting the right run-pass mixture. Getting the right up-the-field to underneath throws. Taking shots at the right time. One of the biggest disadvantages anybody has that hasn't been in the league… like myself who hasn't been in the league for a long time, is understanding the other coaches in the league. There's some good coaches on the defensive side. And so the more I play, the more I go against these teams then the better I'll be because I'll have more of that experience."
The life of a football coach.

"One of the biggest disadvantages anybody has that hasn't been in the league… like myself who hasn't been in the league for a long time, is understanding the other coaches in the league. There's some good coaches on the defensive side. And so the more I play, the more I go against these teams then the better I'll be because I'll have more of that experience."

There certainly are some good D coaches in this league, O also.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:With Marcel Bellefuelle there is it the HC or is it the OC that needs to worry? I'm not sure that Burke is all that concerned because at this point he probably wouldn't mind out of the Bombers Gong Show with his salary intact.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the entire current staff is fired at seasons end.... unless of course they win the Grey Cup.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bombers bringing in another Piñata err QB Jason Boltus IIRC TSN said he was from the Arena league.

His CFLPA bio shows he will fit right in:

Spent the entire season on the injured list.
Spent the entire season on the injured list.

Not sure of the updates but only Goltz is not hurt at the moment but that will change as that OL of theirs and team sucks. It is a gong show there.

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show?id=3855

He didn't get much playing time in Hamilton it seems.

Lucky the Bombers aren't shut down by their version of Workers' Compensation for unsafe working conditions for QBs.

Decisions like this one really make you realize just how desperate and lost that organization is. OurBombers - just checked it - said that Burke looks disinterested on the sidelines and players say they respect him but Alex Hall defied and ignored him when Burke tried to call him off the field for an offside. Saying 'we're doing the best we can with what we got' means Mack screwed them BUT that is not leadership and a good HC should be able to give his team some sort of direction and go on from there. You see lower teams all the time beat the best as they might lack talent but they catch a top team taking them lightly and them they play error free games and stun them.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Justin Goltz shrugs off 'betrayal,' prepares to once again take reins of Blue Bombers

By KIRK PENTON, QMI Agency

WINNIPEG - Three weeks after being demoted from starter to third-stringer, it appears Justin Goltz will be at quarterback when the Bombers battle the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Sunday in the 51st Labour Day Classic.

Gone are his feelings of betrayal. He is now thankful for having a job in football after two weeks of upheaval throughout the Bomber organization.

“It’s been a roller-coaster, but it’s a pleasure to be here, and you realize that when you see guys leaving week in and week out,” Goltz said. “You can’t really feel bad for yourself. You’re still part of something special. You’re still playing professional football. You have an opportunity, regardless of how things shake themselves out.”

Last week’s starter, Max Hall, didn’t practise on Wednesday because of a hand injury but will try to throw on Thursday. Buck Pierce has been ruled out of Sunday’s game with an upper-body injury the team won’t specify.

“There’s a lot of people who don’t want to talk about it, so I’m not going to,” head coach Tim Burke said. “I’ve been told not to say.”
Ho hum ...

“There’s a lot of people who don’t want to talk about it, so I’m not going to,” head coach Tim Burke said. “I’ve been told not to say.” LOL :rotf:
Comedy in Winnipeg ...