Riders 23 - Lions 20 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/15 ... will-play/

The always worth a read "Fifth Quarter" has some gruesome details today, IMO. Geroy could see bone breaking skin on his hand :dizzy: KJ will probably need a plate in his arm :dizzy:

IIRC, didn't Moore have a good game in the pre-season? You don't like losing players but in some positions we seem to have more depth so its not too much of a drop-off..... I think the Riders played yesterdays game with just five starting recievers and it looked like they might lose Bagg for the afternoon (they didn't).
David
Team Captain

THE POSITIVES

* Marco Ianuzzi's breakout game. I've been skeptical that he's been a bit more hype than hope, but he really showed me some hustle Saturday, and that TD was a thing of beauty. How did he manage to hang onto the ball when his hands were hit at the goalline??

* Paris filled in admirably once Kierrie Johnson was lost. What he's lost in speed he more than makes up for in route running and moxy.

* Geroy had a bounce back effort after a rare quiet outing vs Hamilton. Really dominated in traffic.

* Andrew Harris once again proved he's maybe the best open field runner in the game. Running up the gut though is proving challenging.

* A game we should have won as we had a clear statistical advantage. We simply HAVE to get better on special teams. Chuck McMann is a friend and former teammate of Wally's. I don't know his relationship with the Head Coach, but for his sake, let's hope they get along well.

THE NEGATIVES

* No sacks against but Lulay was under constant seige. Some of the precedure penalties hurt (but we were robbed on the last drive call against Archibald. No way did he flinch. He only moved when Willis got away with one of his patented early starts).

* Lulay simply needs to play better. His passing yardage stats were padded by the 69 yard catch and run to Kierre Johnson and, while he threaded the needle at times, he was also off on some of his longer pass attempts and while rolling out.

* Is anyone else disappointed by the D-line pressure (of lack thereof) so far this year? It seems that players have taken turns getting a good push, but just one player stepping up among the four isn't going to get it done. Williams has been solid, Mitchell as been above average, Smith isn't getting much heat, and Taylor looks a shadow of his former self. Time to rotate 5 linemen like last year! And where was Westerman Saturday?

* Hard to complain about the D. Take away the Tristan Jackson TD and the twin bonehead plays in the first half (Brown elects to run out the wide kick, then McCallum tried to....tried to....I HAVE NO IDEA!). Anyway, the Riders ended up with great field position and converted 3 points. So that's 10 point given away to the Riders, so the D really only gave up 13 points.

* I was critical of McCallum's blown field goals like everyone else, but to be fair, this could have more to do with a timing issue with a new long snapper and holder.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: * Is anyone else disappointed by the D-line pressure (of lack thereof) so far this year. It seems that players have taken turns getting a good push, but one player among the four isn't getting it done. Williams has been solid, Mitchell as been above average, Smith isn't getting much heat, and Taylor looks a shadow of his former self. Time to rotate 5 linemen like last year! And where was Westerman Saturday?
Taylor had 2 sacks in the opener and not much QB pressure since. Definitely need more from him given Mitchell is getting constantly double teamed. Just as important is their run stopping and the Riders were getting a tremendous push inside as Sheets seemed to be 3 or 4 yards down field before a hand was laid on him, especially on their final drive.
I see little things from Smith now and again but has yet to be a major factor. At 33, we're talking about a different level of patience than a typical second year player. Henley is 9 years younger so let's see if he figures even more in the rotation as the season unfolds and he gets more experience.

Didn't see much from Westerman or Kobango either as Hameister-Ries' knee held up and Norman continues on a learning curve like few we have seen in the Lions modern era. Wonder what Fabien is thinking about these days? Although maybe the CFL Scouting Bureau had it right all along when Norman (10th) was ranked ahead of Fabien (15th)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I haven't heard Westerman's name mentioned in the 3 games
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought the interior guys on the D-line would be getting more pressure, especially against teams with rebuilt O-lines. Still, the Lions are tied for second in sacks with nine (they had only four after three games last year) and their defence is second against the run and the pass through three weeks and has been positionally solid against mobile QBs and opponents' outside running game. I can't be disappointed with any of that.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Iannuzzi was a great story David...I have liked him from day one, as he is a smart player who plays at full speed...I don't see a drop off with him in the lineup, and Paris was solid too after basically not taking reps at that position for over 2 years...

As for Kierri Johnson, I did NOT expect him to make it through an 18 game schedule...he is simply TOO SMALL to play pro ball, IMO...his play this year has been very good, but he really can't be asked to "go to" on a regular basis...his tiny frame simply cannot take the punishment, and clearly didn't...

I have NO PROBLEM with the Lions going to Moore at WR...he started last year with a damaged shoulder that affected his ability to stretch out...he doesn't have that problem any more...he had a great camp and even better pre season...he is READY to play and contribute...if Geroy is out, Gore and Paris can admirably fill in...

I don't see the WRs as any issue this year, even with these injuries...the issue has been the patched line and TRUTHFULLY the QB...Travis hasn't been good enough, and MOP players don't have 3 struggles in a row...the fact is, Travis is still a young QB that has to work out some mechanics issues, especially on his deep ball...the lack of consistent protection hasn't helped him either...

As for the OLine, Matt Norman isn't the issue, Hameister Ries IS...he is slow, overweight and injured and isn't helping the Lions...Kabongo would be better in that spot for now...what we really need is Dean Valli coming back, to settle things down...

The comment that Tim Brown isn't a true Kick returner is correct...while he tries hard and has had some success, his lack of speed, and foot balance, are hurting him, especially on missed FGs...

McCallum struggled mightily, flat out, no excuses...he is a Pro and he will learn from his mistakes, but boy did they hurt...

McCann hasn't put a good Special Teams unit on the field since he arrived in BC...and that wasn't just a couple of weeks ago...he needs to be put on a very short leash, and his teams must show vast improvement, and FAST!

Adam Bighill is a nice player, but he is NOT a middle LB...in the first 2 games, we were lucky that the opposition didn't attack the middle of the field in their running game...Bighill does well when teams go sideways, but when they run straight at him, he struggles to avoid and shuck OLinemen...and good MLBs can't afford to struggle in this regard...watch for the Eskies to absolutely exploit this problem...

The lack of passrush IS a big issue...teams are constantly doubling Mitchell...Taylor, Williams and especially Smith simply aren't getting it done, mano e mano, and this must change...

Another positive was the play of Muamba at safety...he took a major step forward with his play in hostile Regina Saturday...that is very good news for the Leos...

Finally, Stubler MUST change up his game planning this week...he has been soft and predictable the last 2 weeks and it has shown...he needs to pick up his game this week.

At the end of the day, the answers are simple for the Lions...the D needs to play a little more aggressive and protect Bighill in the run game...the Offence needs Travis Lulay to start throwing a more accurate ball, and special teams has to show up...ALL 3 of these things should have been happening by now, and when the Lions start achieving these things, they will start winning a lot of football games again.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Wow. MexicoLionFan, you sure know your stuff and I agree on most every point. I wasn't making excuses for McCallum, but it did look like the timing may have been slightly off on the snap and hold for him on at least one of the kicks. Still, I am pissed as that 10 point swing was the difference maker (though I still contend that Khreem Smith was clipped by Brent Hawkins on the return. Oh well, Arland Bruce also got away with a face mask - what are you going to do??).

I'll also have to watch Bighill more closely as I thought he was doing an admiral job. It sure would be nice to have Elimimian back in the middle flanked by Bighill and McKenzie. Now THAT would be a fearsome trio against the run!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:That was an excellent game and very well-played by both teams...the Lions played well enough to win. The Riders missed 2 field goals also, so we can't really say McCallum's misses cost us the game. Not sure about all the vitriol against Tim Brown. Aren't we forgetting his 300+ yd performance the previous game where he looked All-World? Some posters are criticizing his speed, but he seems pretty darn fast to me. There isn't anybody who has a quicker burst or first few steps. We also take for granted he's very sure-handed and normally makes good decisions. Coach Bene said the return was on for the missed FG and Brown had the green light to go. I don't think his "lack of speed" resulted in him being tackled on the 8 yd line. Tim Brown is one of the best returners in the business and is the best inside runner on the team.

Yes, Travis needs to be more accurate, but YOU try standing behind our OL, scanning downfield picking out the open man and lofting a nice soft pass that drops into his arms. I dare ya... :cr:
With the success that the Riders had defensively, Lulay is going to have to be more accurate, as I would expect teams to go man on D vs our receivers from here until the Lions show they can counter that. I am not worried about Brown's speed, just him not using the field enough, go wide and then cut, not as quickly as he has a tendency to do.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Already ready to write off Bighill as the Mac? Wow. I am once again glad that Lionbackers.com do not sit in the Lions GM chair.

Give the kid more than two games. Also, I think we were a little spoiled by the performances of one Mr. Sol-E.

Also, Travis wasn't purrfect but that happens sometimes.