FA Day, add the signings to the Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Looks like it might be a while before the dominoes start to fall..............Fantuz's agent is reportedly saying that AF doesn't come back from Africa until Saturday and probably won't sign a contract until Monday......until then, the breath holding continues.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Looks like it might be a while before the dominoes start to fall..............Fantuz's agent is reportedly saying that AF doesn't come back from Africa until Saturday and probably won't sign a contract until Monday......until then, the breath holding continues.
That may eliminate a few Rider fans along the way.... :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:Labatte signs with the Riders, this might set the precedent for Fantuz to re-sign with the Riders knowing that Durant will get some extra time to throw the ball his way. Or it could have busted the SMS and Fantuz looks to Hamilton to earn that large paycheck.
They're estimating that the Riders paid $350K for Labatte and Picard......do you think they have the SMS room for Fantuz and the estimated $200K he's looking for?
Look at the Lions defensive backfield and you have to wonder about our SMS accountability as well. You can always trim prior to the season starting, although that isn't Wally's way after signing guys to new contracts, so look out guys with old contracts in hand come TC.

I like this tweet from Bob Young...
Bob Young @CaretakerBob
Andy Fantuz is on vacation in Africa. Always wanted to go on Safari to bag a big Cat. ;-) #Ticats #CFL
I think that is the only logical destination for Fantuz now, even better for him with Burris in behind centre.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Look at the Lions defensive backfield and you have to wonder about our SMS accountability as well. You can always trim prior to the season starting, although that isn't Wally's way after signing guys to new contracts, so look out guys with old contracts in hand come TC.
I doubt Wally had to break the bank to sign Shell and Parker. I think BC was a desired destination due to 1) our success and strength of organization and 2) Rich Stubler. Don't forget too that we cleared JJ's big contract off the books, we cut Kornegay and lost Solly (not that he was making a lot of money mind you, but he was a starter).

Next year will be interesting if Travis gets the big raise (everyone is hoping for) to stay in BC. There could be some considerable belt tightening in other places to accommodate that contract.

RE: Tad Kornegay - can anyone guess why he fell out of favour? I didn't think performance was an issue - maybe they just see Shell as a definite upgrade? Or was there something else at play here?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

I am reposting here, but I thought I should add this one to this thread as it involves the Lions.
FifthQtr Lowell Ullrich
#bclions not done yet #riders RB Stu Foord comes to terms in BC. Nice compliment to Andrew Harris
That should make Solar Max happy, getting a model Foord in the Lions Den.
David
Team Captain

David wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Just read on the twitter feed @News1130Sports that Buono made 2 offers today.....one was Parker, but who was the other?
If I had to guess, I'd say Stu Foord of the Riders. Nothing more than a hunch but with Lee's retirement, we don't have much non-import depth behind Harris.

I've always liked that kid. Tough, hard-nosed runner. Always gives an honest effort.

Hahahaha! Looks like I nailed this one. I guess even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day....

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I am reposting here, but I thought I should add this one to this thread as it involves the Lions.
FifthQtr Lowell Ullrich
#bclions not done yet #riders RB Stu Foord comes to terms in BC. Nice compliment to Andrew Harris
That should make Solar Max happy, getting a model Foord in the Lions Den.
Most sensational off season in memory.

Foord is potentially a very good backup to Andrew Harris. About the same size, 5'11" 195 lbs.

Next ... Aaron Hunt.

After that, draft a couple of NI D Linemen, and Away We Go.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I remember when Foord was flattened by David Hyland on a missed field goal return in a preseason game at Empire last June. The video of the hit went viral and was even mentioned by Jim Rome on his radio program. Who would have predicted then that Foord would be a Lion and Hyland would be long gone?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wow this has been an amazing off-season. I am really looking forward to seeing the 2012 Lions head into the CFL campaign. And I haven't forgotten a lesson I'd already learned but kinda forgot in 2011...it doesn't matter how you start as much as how you finish....
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I remember when Foord was flattened by David Hyland on a missed field goal return in a preseason game at Empire last June. The video of the hit went viral and was even mentioned by Jim Rome on his radio program. Who would have predicted then that Foord would be a Lion and Hyland would be long gone?
[video][/video]

I think that is worth another look....:) Foord meet heavy...:)

Have to give credit to Foord though, he got back up and walked that one off. :thup:
The_Pauser
Legend

Now just hoping that Hunt re-signs and I'll be happy.

Anyone else think that the signing of Parker could free up Banks to return as a linebacker? Perhaps not on every down but it makes us very dangerous on passing downs.
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:Now just hoping that Hunt re-signs and I'll be happy.

Anyone else think that the signing of Parker could free up Banks to return as a linebacker? Perhaps not on every down but it makes us very dangerous on passing downs.
There is a lot of versatility in the backfield, and with Stubler in charge I am looking forward to the disguises that the Lions will be able to run. Combine that with a couple of ball hawks and our DL push, it could be a very rewarding D.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Whats Foord like for passes? I can't recall.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Whats Foord like for passes? I can't recall.
I think he has decent hands but is better as a ground gainer; getting the tough yards inside, which is good because I think Harris is more effective running outside and catching the swing passes.

Can't believe the Riders let this kid walk. Always thought he was under-utilized.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Whats Foord like for passes? I can't recall.
My only recollection of Stu Foord is rocketing up the middle against us when we were lost against the running game. Fred Reid killed us that year. Poor old Javy didn't have the speed to head those guys off at the pass. And he wasn't getting much help either.

He seems plenty quick up the middle. Same size as Andrew. Dunno about as a receiver. But Andrew has that covered.

Could be, could be ... a very good pickup for us. :thup: