Riders 41 - Lions 38, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I wondered about that opening kickoff as well!!

When you look back at the game...we got 5 sacks on Durrant and we only gave up 2 sacks.

Lulay threw 49 passes, taking in the overtime series.

On offence, we went through that long period of time again, in the second half, when we didn't score any points.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

rb wrote:
rb wrote:
Blitz wrote:In the Wally era in B.C. we've won 3 playoff games and lost 7 playoff games.
Actually it's 5 wins, 8 losses.
Whoops, I need to correct my own correction. 5 wins, 7 losses.
Correct! It would have been nice to end a couple of more seasons with a win.

This loss broke the Lions' streak of having appeared in a division final for six straight years. They were so close to extending the streak to seven years.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
JohnHenry wrote: Why did we not try the pitch-out to Robertson again after he gained 37 yds the one time we used it? Only 11 rushing attempts (mainly right up the middle into the stacked box) is surprising with such a conservative offensive scheme.
Actually it was Yonus Davis. The was the only time Davis was in the backfield. Typical Chap playcalling; abandon what works and go back to the duck and dump offence
Sorry, LK, but I think you're wrong on that. Jamal Robertson got us out of trouble on the pitch out or sweep right. Davis was glued to the bench all game except for returns. I guess we didn't want to give the Riders a different look for fear that we'd burn him out for next week. :bang:

It sounds like nit-picking when you're complaining about the play-calling despite putting up 38 points, but I think Lulay being on fire today coupled with a more imaginative offense (especially running the ball) would have kept the Rider defense off-balance and, most importantly, their offense off the field.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
nelson95
Legend

I hate that the OT takes away the special teams advantage so no big surprise we lost all 3 this year
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Wow. Awesome game, amazing heart and effort by both teams.

Am I bummed that we lost? Not at all. We were playing with house money, written off by many during the 1-7 start and again during the stretch run. Even some Lionbackers were hoping for 1-17 so this thing could get blown up.

We saw the emergence of young kids, the new core of the BC Lions: Lulay, Black, Davis, Olafioye, Arceneaux, Elimimian, KMitchell. The following are waiting in the wings: Lee, Messam, Harris, Whyte, Gore, Foster, Leonard, Henderson. These young kids could have easily mailed it in during the 1-7 start, but they kept learning/fighting and got a valuable taste of post-season football.

The future is very bright for the BC Lions organization. A full off-season and training camp refining their skills/techniques, rather than trying to learn the playbook on the fly will be extremely beneficial. We are now at the point where only minor tweaks are needed, rather than continuing the massive roster overhaul. Continuity will be a boon for the continued development of these young assets (see Smith, Alex). :2cents:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

rb wrote: Here's my peeve. 3rd and 10 from Sask 45, :08 left in the 1st half. Why punt????? Go for it. If you miss, either the half is over or Sask has time for just one play which isn't going to do them any good. If you make it, you probably get a FG. Or wind up and throw a Hail Mary into the end zone. Anything but punt. Wally just wasted a nearly risk-free opportunity to try to put more points on the board.
I agree with not kicking a field goal because of the risk that a missed kick might get returned for a TD. But there were two options that were better than punting. A quick 5 yard pass to the sideline or a hail mary. If you make a short pass and get out of bounds THEN you kick at FG. If you complete the hail mary you might get a TD or a PI penalty. If the hail mary gets picked off the chances of the RIders running it back for a TD are extremely slim. Punting was a huge waste of an opportunity.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
You have to go for the win at some point. And it will probably involve the 2 point conversion.

Why not now? I agree.

I would say the odds are pretty good that you can complete a 5 yard play for the win with the 2 point convert. Rollout right.

You've got the ball. It's your chance for the win. All or nothing. Why give them a chance? But that is so far from the conservative attitude of our team that it would be shocking to our players.
ziggy
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Wow. Awesome game, amazing heart and effort by both teams.

Am I bummed that we lost? Not at all. We were playing with house money, written off by many during the 1-7 start and again during the stretch run. Even some Lionbackers were hoping for 1-17 so this thing could get blown up.

We saw the emergence of young kids, the new core of the BC Lions: Lulay, Black, Davis, Olafioye, Arceneaux, Elimimian, KMitchell. The following are waiting in the wings: Lee, Messam, Harris, Whyte, Gore, Foster, Leonard, Henderson. These young kids could have easily mailed it in during the 1-7 start, but they kept learning/fighting and got a valuable taste of post-season football.

The future is very bright for the BC Lions organization. A full off-season and training camp refining their skills/techniques, rather than trying to learn the playbook on the fly will be extremely beneficial. We are now at the point where only minor tweaks are needed, rather than continuing the massive roster overhaul. Continuity will be a boon for the continued development of these young assets (see Smith, Alex). :2cents:
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Things look good if we can hang on to our young guys :pray:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I still stand by what I said when arceneaux caught the last second td pass. Go for two and end it now. Looking at our overtime record and our offenses struggles I figured end the game on one play from the 5.
Me too. I was yelling at the screen for them to go for it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"The turning point in my mind was our inability on defence to stop them in the second half," said Buono, admitting the Dressler 75-yarder was particularly irksome. "Quarterback has too long to throw, zone coverage breaks down, it's a million things.

"They executed better. And all of a sudden, we're not tackling as well, we're not putting as much pressure on the quarterback, not knocking the ball down. It compounds itself."
Durant heated up. We gave them the ball to start the second half and they controlled it for the next 20 minutes of game time. IMO this was the conservative approach. We had a nice 16 - 7 lead and wanted to somehow hang on to it. If we had been behind in the game, I expect we would have taken the ball to start the second half, getting the possible extra possession.

"The turning point in my mind was our inability on defence to stop them in the second half," said Buono ... "

Well, we kicked off to them to start the 3rd quarter. We put it on our defence right away. The Riders were behind. They had to go for it. Why not take the ball in that position? If we score their task is just so much harder. Instead, they get momentum, and things snowball in their favour.

In the CFL, if a QB gets hot, the defence has little chance to stop it. Then you probably need to blitz the hell out of him.

OT is a mini game, with even chances for both teams.

(Regarding wake's idea about the 2 point convert to win the game) ... On the other hand, after Manny's TD, how do you like our chances if we go for 2 to win the game? One shot for the win. Why not? Why give them a chance? We have to go for it at some point anyway. It's obviously not the conservative way to do it. 5 yards is nothing. Wow. I can't see many coaches making that decision. It just looks too bad if you miss it.

Change the picture a bit ... down by 3, you have the ball on the 5 yard line. 2 seconds left on the clock. Time for one play. Do you go for the TD and the win, or do you kick the FG? I think every coach would kick the FG.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lula ... z15Mz9xdmO
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some random morning after thoughts:

• can't wait to see the TV ratings for that classic, especially the "peak viewrship" which was the final minutes of the 4th quarter and overtime. The buzz of this game from the media, social network and beyond is incredible.

• Hardly an astute observation but I thought Dressler's 75-yard TD was the play of the game. Was it me or did Durant simply out throw our zone coverage with Crawford as the supposed deep safety valve? Either that or Phillips was smoked badly. We also only rushed 3 that play and Williams was getting triple teamed.

• Speaking of Williams ... oh yeah that's why he was considered the premier FA signing of 2010. That was a Wake-like performance. Outstanding game #9 and just wait until they find other DE to compliment him.

• Lots of comparisons in other threads regarding the work of Obie and Shivers. Where Roy has a significant edge is finding gem import receivers — First Manny and now Stephen Black. I think we are finally seeing the changing of the guard in the Lions "go to" receivers, now can Wally get them both locked up to longer deals????

• Before yesterday, I wasn't overly confident of the casual fans buying Travis Lulay as the Lions qb of the future. Not any more. Just a brilliant and composed performance and all the Lions crucial fence-sitting fans got to witness it in the biggest game of the season.

• One of the huge off-season questions is McCallum's future. What an incredible season for him but does Wally stay with the 40-year-old and hide Whyte for a 3rd straight season???

• Other than an illegal procedure call, not surprised to see Jesse Newman more than hold his own playing for Sherko yesterday. Newman should be starting in 2011 and the Lions have some interesting decisions to make with the o-line. Still not completely sold on Valli at centre, but thanks to the Eskimos (McGrath) and Stamps (Newman) for some much needed younger Canadian talent up front.

• Finally, my money is on Wally returning to the sidelines in 2011 and his staff staying intact. I think Wally gives Chapdelaine the benefit of the doubt based on the inexperience at QB and the shaky o-line play.
The_Pauser
Legend

YOU may say that, sure, but do you really think Wally would risk losing the game on a failed 2-point convert attempt after we had just come back on a last second touchdown? The same Wally Buono who wouldn't take a last second field goal attempt at the end of the first half from 50 yards out?

In a sense I kinda agree with you though, when you look at the OT format and how we had played all game. We had the momentum and everyone was on a high after that TD grab that we probably could have converted. But if we didn't, everyone would be ripping Wally a part.

Tough call...
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Lulay played very well yesterday, but he wasn't purrfect. He committed 2 turnovers to Durant's 0. Lulay also wasn't able to put up any points in the second half until the final second of the game. That's a story we've seen all too much over Lulay's starts here this season and something that needs to be fixed.

What Lulay did show was that he has heart, and when the game is on the line he has that clutch ability to make plays. That's huge and not something that can be taught or developed. I think this is something you either have or you don't. His consistency will develop, the playcalling hopefully will improve, and this Lulay kid will be something special as long as we can keep him and keep him healthy.
Roar you Lions roar!
Gerry
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:Lulay played very well yesterday, but he wasn't purrfect. .
No, he wasn't purrfect.

But then, we've never had anyone who was either.
Enough is enough.