Where will Casey end Up?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Where will Casey find employment in 2011?

Western CFL team
10%
Eastern CFL team
12%
Motivational Speaker for Anger Management Company
22%
Flipping Burgers
41%
Pro's vs Joe's (your choice)
15%

Total votes: 41
Gerry
Legend

@ Blitz,

Carnivorous? The media, and us as well? That's a bit dramatic, isn't it?

The media can be, to be sure. They are that way by their nature on all subjects. They make a living on what is mostly bad news.

But this site is another matter. CP was a very polarizing figure amongst CFL fans in general and Lions fans in particular. I haven't spent as much time reading CFL fan sites in quite a while as I have the last couple of days.

I definitely did not like CP. I started to dislike him even while he was still "magic" back in 04. It was his personality, the controversy, and even his style. But even moreso, I disliked him because of how his name dominated any discussion concerning the BC Lions. Even after he left, it was still Casey this and Casey that. It was annoying that this spoiled brat individual (as I saw it) got so much attention and adoration on this site while another person with IMO much more football savvy and certainly much more character, namely Buck Pierce, was dismissed even while he played through obvious injury, especially by some people here who were lobbying for the return of CP.

CP made his own bed with his silly comments and his huge ego. He gave us chicken salad and popcorn as he alternatively pouted and crowed. His fans sang his praises beyond all reason IMO.

So if some of us seem a bit overjoyed to see the end of this bit of Lions history, please spare us. This is the Internet. What we say has little relevance, except to those of us who come here to spend a little bit of our free time reading and posting about the BC Lions.

Really, it means nothing.
Enough is enough.
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Funny thing is , the guy who made the poll , is a Casey supporter .
I agree with your point Tighthead , even though I think cutting Printers was right thing to do , I still very bad for him .
I absolutely believe that CP's ability and raw potential wasn't seen under Chapdelaine (never would be), but if you aren't going to remove the latter then the former should be just that. I do feel bad for Casey, knowing that he gave it his best effort at what he thought had gone wrong in his previous stints in Hamilton and Kansas, but in the end he just didn't fit with what the Lions were trying to make him and his attempt at making the change. It all came out in the end when his emotional side got the better of him, probably best for him to depart as well.

As for the poll, it is time to move on and realistically I think that a CFL team will pick him up next season as a replacement at some point.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Wouldn't it be something if he won the 2011 Grey Cup at BC Place Stadium as the starting quarterback for the Toronto Argonauts?

Ha, that would be too funny. Seriously though, I think Toronto would be a great fit for Printers. Imagine that, Ricky & Casey - - the two lightening rods of hate from every disgruntled Lions fan upset that their team is going down the toilet under the current regime.

Toronto has a very good OLine, and it would be Casey's first opportunity to play behind competent blockers. Plus, in Toronto he'd finally have a coach who understands how to design & run an offence. Not to mention the league's best RB beside him in the backfield.

Printers is only 29 and there's no doubt he's more talented than some of the starting QBs in the CFL. Unfortunately, his reputation might hurt his chances at getting signed by anyone.
Casey and Ricky on the same team. Now I'd pay to see that! Two overpaid underachievers. One can't avoid the pass rush any longer - the other can't create one.

STORY HERE

Yep, and that coach of theirs sure knows how to design and run that offensive juggernaut too. The 30-3 defeat last night must have just been an unfortunate aberration I take it? Two players (Copeland and Lemon) witnessed yelling at those "competent blockers" late in the game, according to Sara Orlesky? Sounds like a unified team to me!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

And for the record, I don't think Casey will play anywhere in the CFL. Rightly or wrongly, I think he's viewed by GMs as locker room kryptonite.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:And for the record, I don't think Casey will play anywhere in the CFL. Rightly or wrongly, I think he's viewed by GMs as locker room kryptonite.

DH
Yet he worked with the Lions "Superman" pretty well. :) At 29 years old and still having maturity problems, tells me that this is going to be an issue that won't go away alright.

Csaey jsut nveer put it all tgoteehr, erevyhtnig was tehre, jsut not coenncetd.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Gerry wrote:@ Blitz,

Carnivorous? The media, and us as well? That's a bit dramatic, isn't it?

The media can be, to be sure. They are that way by their nature on all subjects. They make a living on what is mostly bad news.

But this site is another matter. CP was a very polarizing figure amongst CFL fans in general and Lions fans in particular. I haven't spent as much time reading CFL fan sites in quite a while as I have the last couple of days.

I definitely did not like CP. I started to dislike him even while he was still "magic" back in 04. It was his personality, the controversy, and even his style. But even moreso, I disliked him because of how his name dominated any discussion concerning the BC Lions. Even after he left, it was still Casey this and Casey that. It was annoying that this spoiled brat individual (as I saw it) got so much attention and adoration on this site while another person with IMO much more football savvy and certainly much more character, namely Buck Pierce, was dismissed even while he played through obvious injury, especially by some people here who were lobbying for the return of CP.

I CP made his own bed with his silly comments and his huge ego. He gave us chicken salad and popcorn as he alternatively pouted and crowed. His fans sang his praises beyond all reason IMO.

So if some of us seem a bit overjoyed to see the end of this bit of Lions history, please spare us. This is the Internet. What we say has little relevance, except to those of us who come here to spend a little bit of our free time reading and posting about the BC Lions.

Really, it means nothing.
agree with you Gerry that Casey Printers name dominated discussion regarding the B.C. Lions. I believe a few remaining vets from his first stint here resented it. Perhaps Mike Beamish of the Vancouver Sun said it best when he wrote: "Still, there is no denying that Printers was a lightning rod. In a city where the Canucks are the most intensely reported team, the magic phrase "Casey Printers" brought out passionate and widespread reactions, pro and con, from listeners, readers and bloggers the way few or any Canuck can. That's why Printers, character flaws and all, was a fascinating figure,"

However, I'm not so sure Printers was that fascinating of a figure. I believe, while other things entered the picture, the two main reasons why Printers became a so called 'fascinating figure' was due to the quarterback controversy with Dickenson, which galvanized opinion, both ways about him, and the second reason was the relentless media attention, which also contained a desire from most to kick him around. As Louisa Bridgmen said ""If he knew you, he was a very caring person. The media tends to pry and Casey was not willing to let them pry open his box. They were constantly in his face, 'What do you think about this, what do you think about that?'

Casey Printers was actually a very boring interview and rarely said anything controversial. On the playing field, outside of the Winnipeg sideline incident, Printers did not behave on the playing field in a manner which should have created controversy. He could get emotional on occasion out there but Geroy Simon shows his emotion on the playing field much more than Printers ever did. Printers was a hot dog and I think that bothered some fans, in terms of style. It really never bothered me. Back a long time ago, in my football playing days, I played with a number of players who liked to hot dog and sometimes it was just pure joy and fun for them to do that. I think we're less used to it in Canada and don't have a preference for it.

Perhaps, style of quarterback play was also a factor. There are some who just like a Dickenson/Lulay style of quarterback over a Printers style. However, there is no question that Printers had tremendous talent but he was also thin skinned and in many ways he was an enigma. I think the fact that he could be aloof was a way he tried to protect himself but it didn't endear him at times.

You won't see it this way, but I think at times I oversupported Casey Printers because I saw him as an underdog. He was always fighting the uphill battle, sometimes due to his own flaws but mostly because, following his 2004 regular season, he was fighting a negative situation and I believe that created a different path for him than the path that would have occured, had Dickenson not been here. Printers did not have the abilities to deal with that path well and he made it worse for himself. The baggage was still here, from the media and press, from some fans, from a few remaining vets with our Leos, and even on the coaching staff. Printers didn't get a fresh start here for his second stint.

I will never see Printers as a one year wonder. However, defenses have gotten a lot better than the 2003-2006 years when both Dickenson and Printers played here. I just hated to see the talent and potential that Printers had wasted. It was wasted for a lot of reasons and some of those are on Printers himself but there were a lot of other factors as well that prevented his talents from being fully utilized.

Printers will unlikely play in the CFL again. Some are very disappointed, others relieved. Travis Lulay said he was sad to see Printers go and he competed with him. For those like you Gerry or vets like Angus Reid, who didn't like the attention Printers recieved in his two stints here, eventually the topic of major interest will soon change.

We differ but I respect your opinion. I think our individual posts reflect the two divergent views of Casey Printers, as have many others. Wanna argue about the Chap?? :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Merry Christmas Pauser.............

I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008