Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
DanoT wrote:So Wally invites Washington to meet and have dinner with himself and Tedford. I'm just glad that Wally didn't also invite Dorazio and McMann.
Imagine you are being courted for a job to lead an organization. You are being interviewed for the position of Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Executive Officer is doing the hiring. The CEO has stated the new Chief Operating Officer can choose his own junior management staff, since the operation has not been functioning well and customers are not pleased. At your dinner interview the CEO is present along with one of his hand picked junior managers. Seems a little palsy walsy doesn't it - he must be a favorite of the boss. Uuuuuuh......don't think that is one of the guys you are going to release to clean house with.

Now, before being hired, you get to meet more of the junior managers. The CEO, Wally introduces a couple of them as Dandy Dan and Charmin' Chuck. You ask....how long have you been Lions assistants? "Oh, we go back with Wally, the CEO for so long, we're just like family. His wife cooks great Italian food. When he was the COO as well, he always hired us each and every year and when his protege took over, he kept us too". Other high level junior managers have been let go in the past but not us".

Uuuugh....you think, maybe I should keep these two as well....no sense getting off on bad terms with the new boss right away. He obviously must like these guys and think they're good, very experienced junior managers, that he worked closely with. Heck, if I dump them, its like saying he didn't make good junior manager hiriing choices along the way.

But hey, I can always say I chose my own staff and I wanted these guys wealth of experience. Now, let's talk money. :wink:
I agree with you on Washington being at the dinner was inappropiate, however lets make a guess and say that Wally already pegged Tedford as the coach. With that in mind, Washington gets the first introduction to Tedford and it isn't so bad, he allows Washington to sell himself at dinner where he is an engaging personality. With that in mind, do you think that there is another candidate for DC, given that Tedford is an offensive minded HC? It could also have been at Tedford's request, wanting to see if Washington was the guy that was going to work for him. I am pretty sure that Tedford is a done deal now, so he may have begun his interviewing early. Just trying to make sense of why that dinner meeting included Washington.

As DanoT pointed out, at least McMann and Dorazio didn't get the invite.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Maybe Ritchie Hall should have been at the dinner!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:
Blitz wrote:
DanoT wrote:So Wally invites Washington to meet and have dinner with himself and Tedford. I'm just glad that Wally didn't also invite Dorazio and McMann.
Imagine you are being courted for a job to lead an organization. You are being interviewed for the position of Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Executive Officer is doing the hiring. The CEO has stated the new Chief Operating Officer can choose his own junior management staff, since the operation has not been functioning well and customers are not pleased. At your dinner interview the CEO is present along with one of his hand picked junior managers. Seems a little palsy walsy doesn't it - he must be a favorite of the boss. Uuuuuuh......don't think that is one of the guys you are going to release to clean house with.

Now, before being hired, you get to meet more of the junior managers. The CEO, Wally introduces a couple of them as Dandy Dan and Charmin' Chuck. You ask....how long have you been Lions assistants? "Oh, we go back with Wally, the CEO for so long, we're just like family. His wife cooks great Italian food. When he was the COO as well, he always hired us each and every year and when his protege took over, he kept us too". Other high level junior managers have been let go in the past but not us".

Uuuugh....you think, maybe I should keep these two as well....no sense getting off on bad terms with the new boss right away. He obviously must like these guys and think they're good, very experienced junior managers, that he worked closely with. Heck, if I dump them, its like saying he didn't make good junior manager hiriing choices along the way.

But hey, I can always say I chose my own staff and I wanted these guys wealth of experience. Now, let's talk money. :wink:
I agree with you on Washington being at the dinner was inappropiate, however lets make a guess and say that Wally already pegged Tedford as the coach. With that in mind, Washington gets the first introduction to Tedford and it isn't so bad, he allows Washington to sell himself at dinner where he is an engaging personality. With that in mind, do you think that there is another candidate for DC, given that Tedford is an offensive minded HC? It could also have been at Tedford's request, wanting to see if Washington was the guy that was going to work for him. I am pretty sure that Tedford is a done deal now, so he may have begun his interviewing early. Just trying to make sense of why that dinner meeting included Washington.

As DanoT pointed out, at least McMann and Dorazio didn't get the invite.

I hope that you are right Rammer as Blitz's scenario is scary.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

First the Head Coach.

Then the assistants.

It has our attention.

We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Maybe Ritchie Hall should have been at the dinner!
Hall has been released as the Esks HC an epic fail, and now as the Riders DC. So I don't see why the Lions would want a guy on his way down when we have an up and comer in Washington. I wonder where Miles would have been in the Lions system had he been able to stay with the Lions in a coaching capacity.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

I agree Washington being there is definitely inappropriate, but let's consider who Tedford is. Jeff Tedford is a former NFL OC, and a former NCAA HC. He's made millions, and have a strong reputation and track record. He's going to be making his lowest salary in football in several years by taking this job. He doesn't HAVE to take this job. It certainly isn't for the money, so what is it for? Pride? A new challenge? Helping a buddy?

In any event, I don't see a guy like Tedford taking such a low paying job just to be a puppet. I believe if he had any inkling that he wouldn't have the autonomy to select his own coaching staff that he would laugh at the job offer and stay down in the US. At least, one can only hope...
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Hall has been released as the Esks HC an epic fail, and now as the Riders DC. So I don't see why the Lions would want a guy on his way down when we have an up and comer in Washington. I wonder where Miles would have been in the Lions system had he been able to stay with the Lions in a coaching capacity.
The Riders defense wasn't that good at all this year. They had good personnel, so that shouldn't be an excuse. Was is the result of a completely inept offense (led by rookie QB's who couldn't generate anything?) Maybe. Does it make sense to bring in a new DC (third DC in three years) and change the defensive philosophy again, while forcing everyone to get acquainted to someone new? Or does it make more sense to keep who we have, with the understanding that he will be tweaking his philosophy to address the areas that were exposed late in the season? I probably vote for the ladder (at least unless someone like Chris Jones became available, or perhaps someone that Tedford has in mind as long as they are a clear obvious upgrade).

Still...I would completely defer to Tedford.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1130 News ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

I agree with you on Washington being at the dinner was inappropiate, however lets make a guess and say that Wally already pegged Tedford as the coach. With that in mind, Washington gets the first introduction to Tedford and it isn't so bad, he allows Washington to sell himself at dinner where he is an engaging personality. With that in mind, do you think that there is another candidate for DC, given that Tedford is an offensive minded HC? It could also have been at Tedford's request, wanting to see if Washington was the guy that was going to work for him. I am pretty sure that Tedford is a done deal now, so he may have begun his interviewing early. Just trying to make sense of why that dinner meeting included Washingt on.

As DanoT pointed out, at least McMann and Dorazio didn't get the invite. Rammer
Jesus, Rammer, you've watched so many Wally press conferences that you're almost spinning for him. :wink:

My response is:

1. Washington can have the opportunity to sell himself AFTER Tedford is hired. Heck, its not even Xmas yet. There is plenty of time for Tedord to interview the assistants AFTER he is hired.

2. Why does FIRST YEAR coordinator Washington get preference over FIRST YEAR coordinator Khari Jones to sell himself.

3. The reason that Washington is at the dinner is simply becuase Wally wants Tedford to keep him on as defensive coordinator. That's fine but if Wally is stating that the new HC can hire his own staff, then keep it clean and let him do that and not introduce something different into the mix. This is not proper process for a new HC to hire his own staff.

4. Do you think that Washington is the only person qualified for defensive coordinator of our Leos? He was appointed by Wally as our defensive backs coach and appointed by Wally/Benevedes, as our DC, without looking at anyone else while they jettisoned a very reputable defensive coordinator in Stubler, whose defense led the CFL in 19 of 25 categories in his first season as our defensive coordinator, including breaking many records as our best Leo defense of all time and in 2013 Stubler's defense was 2nd best in the CFL, barely behind Montreal, and was best in the CFL against the pass and second best against the rush. You usually don't jettison a coach with Stubler's body of work, both in the CFL and in B.C., just not to potentially and not definitely lose a defensive backfield coach who is younger. Stubler was jettisoned because he was not a Wally boy and Wally wanted any excuse to give Washingon the opportunity. There are lots of potential defensive coordinators south of the border who have better qualifications and with more than one team than Washington who might be interested in coming to B.C.

5. Favoritism has been the charge of players and it has impacted the culture of the Leos and favoritism has not been restricted to just the players. If you want to change the 'culture' of our Leos, as Wally said was needed, you start by avoiding any optics of favoritism at every opportunity - and these optics just continue with the 'same old, same old'. :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This is being talked about as if it's a done deal. I know that speculation is the bread and butter of any forum but deciding whether or not this fellow is going to have a true "carte blanche" when it comes to retaining assistant coaches is putting the cart way ahead of the horse. Each day that passes without an announcement tells me this isn't a slam dunk; that there is still "convincing and negotiating" going on. It seems that the general opinion is that this guy is the best we could possibly get and that it is almost too good to be true that he is even available for consideration. What is plan B if he doesn't sign?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gary Etcheverry has just been released as DC in Winnipeg. I wouldn't want him with the Lions but his unconventional defence is much different from the conservative defences of Mark Washington or Richie Hall.
Ravi
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:This is being talked about as if it's a done deal. I know that speculation is the bread and butter of any forum but deciding whether or not this fellow is going to have a true "carte blanche" when it comes to retaining assistant coaches is putting the cart way ahead of the horse. Each day that passes without an announcement tells me this isn't a slam dunk; that there is still "convincing and negotiating" going on. It seems that the general opinion is that this guy is the best we could possibly get and that it is almost too good to be true that he is even available for consideration. What is plan B if he doesn't sign?
I doubt Wally would be talking so openly about Tedford if this wasn't all but a done deal as Wally would risk getting egg all over his face. I can't imagine that Tedford would have a three hour meeting with Travis Lulay if he wasn't about to take this job.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Gary Etcheverry has just been released as DC in Winnipeg. I wouldn't want him with the Lions but his unconventional defence is much different from the conservative defences of Mark Washington or Richie Hall.
Yes, I noticed that, BCFAN.

Etcheverry does go all in. As a fan, I prefer aggressive, attacking defence. Have not studied him on tape, nor looked at stats re his defence.

As News1130 notes, a possible opening for Benny? I wish Benny all the good. He had a tough spot here, and perhaps he has learned and grown with the opportunity provided by his mentor.

South Pender
Legend

Blitz, not wanting to spin Wally :wink: , but might it be possible that Tedford asked that Washington be included at the dinner meeting with Wally? Maybe he had some early questions re the defense?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Rammer there are HUNDREDS of coaches better qualified to run a defence than Mark Washington...including the legendary Ritchie Hall! If Tedford hires Washington back, it had better be because he believes that MW gives us the BEST CHANCE to win, if not, NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN LIONS LAND!

This is the ONE CHANCE we get while Wally is still around to get rid of the dead weight that has been KILLING this football team and selling us fans short, namely Dan Dorazio and Chuck McMann...a NEW STAFF is needed if this thing is going to turn around! For those defending Washington, remember, MTL beat was leading in the 3rd quarter 50-3 with only 120 passing yards against us...either he doesn't "get" being a DC or he was pressured into running a system that he didn't want AND was not allowed to make changes!!!

This crap cannot be allowed to continue...if as SP says that Tedford asked Washington to be there, that of course is different, he is on a fact finding mission and is short on time...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein