2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Interesting new addition. While I expect Whitehead to be used quite a bit more as a returner this could effectively be the Rainey replacement.
https://3downnation.com/2022/02/01/b-c- ... ny-thomas/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:14 pm
Shiltz is a pending FA who started 3 games in 2021 but was a healthy scratch for the playoffs. Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette recently wrote about his dedication and character after the tragic death of his mother this offseason.

Losing mother puts football into perspective for Alouettes' Shiltz
Also he prefers to be called Matthew from now on instead of Matt.
yukonlion
All Star

I agree that Shiltz would be an interesting choice. Always been impressed in his limited playing time. A good runner too..
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:53 am
Since the other FA thread is mostly intended to focus on BC's pending FAs I thought I'd start a new one with a different theme. 108 of the original list of 317 have been dealt with by their 2021 teams. With teams now able to talk to the rest who do you see as BC's top 5 targets?

My list is and in no particular order:
PK Sean Whyte
C Michael Couture
DE Ja'Gared Davis
DT Dylan Wynn
DT Steve Richardson
Honorable Mention: C/LT Ucambre Williams
Looking at my original belated Christmas Wish Book list it's shrinking. Whyte is looking like it will happen. Couture is gone and according to Farhan sez Wynn is staying in Hamilton. Down to Davis and The Stove.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:20 am
maxlion wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:52 pm
Another possible QB candidate who has some experience and won't break the bank is Matthew Shiltz.
Shiltz is at the top of my list. He’s a quality guy who has been in the league since 2017, mostly as a backup. His 2021 passing and rushing stats were almost identical to Rourke’s but he won’t be coming in with expectations of making starter’s money.
Looks like you can scratch him from your list. He just signed with Hamilton.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, Shiltz signed a 1-year contract for $125,000. Trevor Harris and Matt Nichols are still available but they would likely be more expensive. The next tier of available QBs includes David Watford, Sean McGuire, Isaac Harker and Michael O'Connor.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Looks like another of my top-5 FA targets, DE Kwaku Boateng, is headed to Ottawa. Farhan Lalji says his deal Is for $150,000 and could rise to $160,000 with incentives.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So little confused about this negotiation window. Some offers to free agents sound like they are a done deal such as yesterday with Masoli and Boateng to the Red Blacks.
Is that the player agreeing to the terms and ending the process with everyone else?

Is Lawler to BC viewed the same way? Although there hasn’t been a peep about him since the Lions huge offer was presented.
Purifoy? Richardson? Doesn’t seem like it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:14 am
So little confused about this negotiation window. Some offers to free agents sound like they are a done deal such as yesterday with Masoli and Boateng to the Red Blacks.
Is that the player agreeing to the terms and ending the process with everyone else?

Is Lawler to BC viewed the same way? Purifoy? Richardson? Doesn’t seem like it.
I understand that Montreal released Matthew Shiltz after they signed Dominique Davis. That left him free to sign the Hamilton offer that was on the table.

Other players may have agreed to terms, including Jeremiah Masoli and Kwaku Boateng in Ottawa and Micah Johnson in Hamilton, but they won’t be able to sign contracts until Tuesday unless they are released by their current teams.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks BC FAN. Had heard the Riders might now be in play for Richardson to replace Johnson. As Grey Cup hosts not sure what FAs they are targeting with the release of Gainey, Johnson and Powell too gone and apparently Purifoy.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Duke Williams has set the bar for all potential free agents. According to Justin Dunk, Williams has re-signed in Saskatchewan for $260,000, and turned down offers of up to $300,000 from other bidders.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/05/sask ... -williams/
Reg18
Starter

I wonder what the holdup in signing Sean Whyte. We need to get him.asap. his addition will be a big gain but they will use his hometown discount against him by lowballing knowing he will want to come home.thats how Buono always dealt with Canadians. Hopefully our new management doesn't screw it up
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 am
I wonder what the holdup in signing Sean Whyte. We need to get him.asap. his addition will be a big gain but they will use his hometown discount against him by lowballing knowing he will want to come home.thats how Buono always dealt with Canadians. Hopefully our new management doesn't screw it up
Simple. Unless Edmonton releases him before then he remains their property as a pending FA until 10am next Tuesday morning. At some point between then and noon Tuesday he advises the team of his choice that he has accepted their offer and the binding offer BC has been made becomes his contract. THEN he can sign it. He could also reject all offers and become a FA at noon Tuesday.

Lots of stories in the past 24 hours about players agreeing on terms. None can actually sign their deals until Tuesday either.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The pre-deadline negotiating window has closed but JC Abbott weighs in with 6 under-the-radar free agents the Lions should consider.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/05/valu ... -consider/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Still a few more hours to go BCF. The negotiating window closes at noon ET tomorrow. Then the incumbent teams get to see the offers and make their final pitches prior to free agency kicking in at noon Tuesday.