It's official. Adam Bighill now a Bomber (page 2)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers now have quite a contingent of ex-Lions on their roster with Bighill, Andrew Harris, Steven Clarke, Chandler Fenner, Craid Roh, Anthony Gaitor and Alex Ross.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am
Huge blunder by Ed Hervey here. Reports that he passed on Bighill. Very disappointed in this. You saw how much worse our defense was without him on the field last year. Winnipeg got a huge pickup while we still have a hole at the WILL.

IF this means we somehow bring back Micah Awe, and also pick up Dexter McCoil, fine. But I doubt that's going to happen. Big mistake.
Agree
maxlion
Legend

Winnipeg had the need and the cap space. We had neither. Teams can't make decisions based on nostalgia or personal feelings. Hervey made the right decision.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am
Huge blunder by Ed Hervey here. Reports that he passed on Bighill. Very disappointed in this. You saw how much worse our defense was without him on the field last year. Winnipeg got a huge pickup while we still have a hole at the WILL.

IF this means we somehow bring back Micah Awe, and also pick up Dexter McCoil, fine. But I doubt that's going to happen. Big mistake.
I agree, this looks like a Hervey blunder alright and so I am disappointed but we don't really know the SMS impact signing Bighill would have caused.
The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:20 pm
Winnipeg had the need and the cap space. We had neither. Teams can't make decisions based on nostalgia or personal feelings. Hervey made the right decision.
How do we not have the cap space? We lost Euclid Cummings who was big ticket player, and we just released Mich'ael Brooks who was also a big ticket player.

We didn't have the need? We have a huge hole at the WILL. How don't we have the need?

Hervey did not make the right decision unless there's more to this and there is a plan to bring in Awe and McCoil.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:36 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:20 pm
How do we not have the cap space? We lost Euclid Cummings who was big ticket player, and we just released Mich'ael Brooks who was also a big ticket player.

We didn't have the need? We have a huge hole at the WILL. How don't we have the need?

Hervey did not make the right decision unless there's more to this and there is a plan to bring in Awe and McCoil.
No team needs two $200,000 linebackers. That's just the wrong way to build a defense. Johnson and Davis are adequate competition, and Awe would be a younger and cheaper option should he return.

I don't know what shape we are in capwise, but after Hervey's free agency spending spree, I suspected that some additional cuts would be needed before the season started just to get under the cap.

Our biggest hole is on the defensive line. We have taken a step backwards from last year, and last year was bad enough. I hope Hervey has a plan to fix that. I'm not worried about the linebackers.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Bighill is not a former Eskimo, so of course Hervey is not interested. Fire Hervey now. I am done with him. He let our defensive backfield get decimated by free agency yet passes on one of the best linebackers in league history. Bighill is not a stay in his lane player, he covers a massive amount of real estate. Exactly what the Lions need after losing so many quality defenders.
David
Team Captain

Bighill was one of the faces of this franchise, so we're going to lose marketing wise (Team100) as he was the club's most popular player. But unless he was going to take a big pay cut to come back, it made little sense to have about $400K tied up in two linebackers.

Does Kyle Walters think he has the Jets' payroll or something? Hard to see how they can they be under the cap right now, despite losing Durant (about $80K). The $70K signing bonus counts against their cap. Factor in these names:

Matt Nichols, Andrew Harris, Adarius Bowman, Stanley Bryant, Mo Leggett, Weston Dressler, FA signing Chandler Fenner. I believe even Justin Medlock cost them 6 figures. They're likely going to have to move some veterans to make room. I would say those names (alone) eat up close to $2 million in payroll, leaving $3.2M for the rest of the team.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So defensive starters from last 2 seasons that Hervey has opted to not re-sign or release:

DL: Turner, Brooks, Roh, Bazzie
LBs: Bighill
DBs: Yell, Purifoy, Gaitor, Clarke, Fenner

Shows what he thought of the Lions defence as an opposing GM. Only surprising thing is the DC is still around, for one last season I would imagine.

HIs actions also suggest he should have cleaned out the Lions scouting department too.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

MaxLion said:

Do we know how much Bighill signed for? I never read it anywhere. He signed a one year deal. I did not read it was for $200,000. And I do not agree we do not have a need. We lost Awe in the offseason and I am not convinced who they signed can fill that void. Other than Solly our linebackers our weak and neither Johnson or Davis are anywhere near as good as Bighill. And cap space means nothing at this time, for CFL contracts are not guaranteed and they can always cut someone to make room, if there is a need. Bombers just got a lot better and he could be the difference between the Lions or the Bombers making the playoffs and right now I give the edge to the Bombers The Lions fanbase is low now and if they miss the playoffs again could be in danger of becoming irrelevant in this marketplace.

I think too Hervey made a mistake and I heard he did not even make him an offer. Bo L is not the answer, unless he has improved greatly since he was last here.
Rammer
Team Captain

Going to be tough seeing Bighill as an opposing player. The real problem here is how his departure affects the casual fan, he was/is recognizable and a player that is an outstanding individual off the field.

Combine that with his talent on the field and the Bombers just got an X Factor that the Lions IMO drastically needed. Best of luck Biggies, the Lions dropped the ball not even entertaining the thought of making an offer.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

Was the lack of any offer to Bighill determined by fiscal reality? Probably....

But every once and awhile I think the manner in which Hervey has gone about remaking the roster has a symbolic edge to it. Namely that players are not good enough by virtue of the fact they wore Lion’s colours last year. He will remake this team in his image come hell or high water. Whether that is sound or simple pride, I guess the results this year will determine that.

But in the meantime, you can’t convince me Hervey’s overwhelming reliance on signing former Eskimo’s is typical. If Hervey is going to chose between Awe or McCoil, dollars to donuts he will chose McCoil based simply on his team pedigree.

In the case of Bighill, I do appreciate that Winnipeg was likely going to go balls to the wall to get him. They desperately need a guy to play in the middle. That desperation will force their hand to beat the Leo’s out every time for Biggie’s signature. The Leo’s and no CFL team can afford to dedicate too much money to one area of a defence or offense and I appreciate that too.

However, does this sting? It sure does. Biggie will be on the Wall of Fame some day. It stinks seeing in the colours of another team, especially a West Division opponent.

I don’t dispute that Hervey hasn’t brought quality guys into the fold but I have my worries that the units won’t gel, particularly on defense. I also happen to think some of his signings are total BS and just make weights.

In the meantime, I hope Biggie doesn’t lose his attachment to Lion’s fans.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Going with what you know doesn't mean shunning what was here in the past. Hervey is going with what he knows.*

As every team in the league except Saskatchewan has a cap, you only have so much money to spend. You can't tie $400k up in linebackers and hope to improve upon what was a bad defensive line last year. You don't have the cap room for that. We've spent more than one year here complaining about the bend but don't break aspects of this defense and its perceived lack of aggressiveness. On the other side of the ball, we lament the performance of the offensive line (though I'm with those that cite coaching as an issue).

At this point, given a choice between 'get talent on both lines' versus ' reunite Team 100', I'm going to take the former.

*This is not an undying endorsement of Hervey. Just a broad agreement on what I think the philosophy is. I'd like to see what moves he makes three seasons from now, when Wally is gone and the guys he had in Edmonton have moved on or aged out.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Hervey may not be here 3 years from now. By then the team will have been sold and the owner will want his own guys. Hervey only has a 2 or 3 year deal.

The new owner may just clean house.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

White just got cut by Eskimos. Will Hervey bring him in too?