Max Hall to start in Bombers' QB Carousel

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:If this is true, Tim Burke should step down now. Whether the policy reversals were his ideas or not, he obviously has no power and no credibility left.
Arash Madani
August 11, 2013, 9:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Justin Goltz experiment is over for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after just two games.

At least for now.

Sportsnet.ca has learned the Blue Bombers will start rookie CFL quarterback Max Hall this week against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Hall began the season No. 3 on the depth chart, having never played the Canadian game until the spring.

After giving Goltz the keys, and head coach Tim Burke publicly pleading for patience with the fan base to give the quarterback a chance, the Blue Bombers made the move in the aftermath of general manager Joe Mack’s firing Friday.

Goltz was named the starter when the team moved on from Buck Pierce.

A CFL source told Sportsnet that Goltz was told by Winnipeg coaches that the mission is to “win now,” and there “isn’t time to develop him.”

Hall has yet to take a meaningful snap in a Canadian game, and Goltz was never given a legitimate shot at proving himself.

Many more changes are expected to come in Winnipeg with Mack and former CEO Garth Buchko out of the picture. Former fullback Wade Miller is now the interim team president and, as Sportsnet first reported Saturday, the Bombers will be bringing in former Tiger-Cats head coach Marcel Bellefuille as a coaching consultant.

Hall, a college transfer from Arizona State to BYU, took over as the Arizona Cardinals starting quarterback during the 2010 season. He was on injured reserve the following year and out of football in 2012 before signing with Winnipeg during the off-season.

The 1-5 Blue Bombers are in last place in the CFL East division, and have lost their last four games.
Blue Bombers to start No. 3 quarterback Hall
:thup: :thup:

Shocking.

This sure takes me back to the early years of the Lions where the next great one would be tossed in as a starter only to not only not make it but to have a promising pro career go down the toilet. Sink or Swim and the Bombers are not even near the ocean but this group of coaches could drown themselves in a tea cup.

There is a reason that the Stamps are not elevating Bo Levi Mitchell to be the next great one - Hufnagel and Dickinson both ex QBs and good coaches know want to win NOW and don't want to destroy that guy's career.

The Bomber QB factory is producing nothing but defects now. More of the same won't get the nice guy Tim Burke and co a different result.

Play Pierce as the old guy Mack's choice and develop the young QBs later on. But for Buck's sake maybe he just needs to be patient and wait these clowns out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Just saw a clip on Sportscentre..... Buck Pierce and Goltz were both baffled and pretty much bad mouthing the choice. Hall is obviously thinking he's deseerving of the chance. Really sounds awful, IMO.

Goltz clearly said to the effect 'this is bad managment'. Buck said similar but not quite as blunt. Goltz clearly said it takes more than a change at QB to fix this offence....

The one thing I am 100% sure on... you reporters won't get juicy quotes like you got out of Pierce and Goltz tomorrow. But, IMO, they are bang on. Crowton says this was a "BlueBomber decision". Burke says it was a unanamous choice by the offensive coaches... Okay, even the coaching staff can't get on the same page as to who? OKay.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Crowton might be the next to be joing Buchko and Mack leaving town.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chaos in BomberLand.

Somewhat less chaos in AlouetteLand. OK maybe much less.

How can the Bombers drop Buck down to #3, appoint Goltz #1 for the year, give him one game where he showed "some" stuff, and then bump him down to #2? How? Meddling. Mack was meddling. CEO leaked to the press. Burke was compromised. Is Miller now meddling? Has Bellefeuille even met with anybody yet? Utter chaos.

How can they cut Elliott and Brink, who both showed promise? :dizzy:

This is sad for the league. And for Bomber fans. Sounds like the Board is Dysfunctional too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Chaos in BomberLand.

How can the Bombers drop Buck down to #3, appoint Goltz #1 for the year, give him one game where he showed "some" stuff, and then bump him down to #2? How? Meddling. Mack was meddling. CEO leaked to the press. Burke was compromised. Is Miller now meddling? Has Bellefeuille even met with anybody yet? Utter chaos.

This is sad for the league. And for Bomber fans. Sounds like the Board is Dysfunctional too.
Pierce walked that fine line quite well IMO, when he got demoted. Goltz and him both didn't do so today. I'm proud of all three QB's. You expect them to work together (ala RickyRay/Jason Maas) but in reality they all want to be #1. Now, 2 QB's seem puzzled at why Hall's #1 and he's just seems okay with it. My favourite comments came from Goltz where he just out/out said BAD MANAGEMENT and he wants to be careful of what he says because he realizes it may jeopardize his future (but it was clear that future was not in WPG!). If given a choice you wonder if all three QB's would jump at a chance to be a Redblack?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Chaos in BomberLand.

How can they cut Elliott and Brink, who both showed promise? :dizzy:

It is sad for the CFL as this once storied franchise of 'once a Bomber, always a Bomber' is beginning to make the Eskimo Way of Hervey and Reed look appealing. A new motto might be 'once a Blunderer, always a Blunderer.'

Wade Miller is putting his mark on the organization it seems - he called Marcel B. Miller's mark so far is more of a stain on the Bombers reputation as the floundering Bombers back at practice this week have never looked this disorganized or leaderless since the days of Mad Mike Kelly. Kelly and Berry's stormy regimes are looking like the Promised Land. In one way you can say it is not a problem of leadership in WPG as there is a complete farcical absence of anything resembling leadership from their board thru to Acting CEO who has all power but the actual freaking job to a HC who is a nice guy but let's face way out of his depth here as a HC.

The Hall decision he makes clear is not his. Some HC.

Hall has not played since Arizona in 2010 and I guess they are banking that the CFL is easier so he keeps his INTs and Fumbles down.

Hall is the guy that Eat-a-ton-of-Crow recruited for college so maybe it's his decision. If Hall doesn't work out just put a FB back there and run the option.

Burke and co. are really starting to prove Casey Stengel right that the 'job of the manager is to keep the 50% of the guys who hate you away from the 50% that are undecided.'

Burke has never come across as a HC with a clear vision, right tone in the coaching staff and playing ranks with game plans on OFF that actually make sense. While he's not OC he should be on the same page. One week back there to protect Pierce, - some good success - next game the back's invisible and Pierce is getting banged up again.

They best get a 4th guy in there quick as he'll be no. 1 next week.

The good news for Buck is that he's at no. 2 now. Goltz gets 3.

Honestly the Lions back in the early years had some of this sort of saga going on but today these coaches are chosen much more thoroughly - usually and Burke was simply an accident of geography when Lapo got gassed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Justin Goltz on TSN ... He is now third on the depth chart, at Monday's practice.

"I think it was poorly managed."

"I wasn't really given an explanation."

"I think everybody is searching for a fast fix."

"I don't think one person is going to come in here and turn around our offence."

"I think there's a lot of pieces that need to be fixed."

"I don't know who made the call. You can ask around and nobody gives you a straight answer."

Tim Burke on TSN ...

"This is totally the decision of the offensive staff. Gary and the offensive staff unanimously and passionately chose Max to be the quarterback."

Buck Pierce on TSN ...

"It's a first. They made a very rash decision. The powers that be. A lot of people are making decisions very quickly."

Too many chiefs. Too many cooks. Too much meddling.

And the players don't know who is making the decisions.

Max Hall in the NFL ... 6 games, 50% completions, 1 TD, 6 Ints, 5 fumbles.

I am guessing that Joe Mack interfered and meddled. (Was Goltz the choice of Mack? And now that Mack is gone, is it Crowton and the offensive coaches that want Hall as QB?) :dizzy:

I would not be surprised if the Board of Directors has meddled.

I am guessing that Butchko meddled.

And now maybe Miller is meddling.

It seems to be the culture there. And that makes for a dysfunctional organization.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So Hall is Crowton's guy and it seems to me that Burke has decided to let Crowton's future hang on Hall's success or failure.

A promising performance by Hall (against a weak Hamilton D) and Crowton keeps his job, otherwise Bellefuille becomes the new OC.
JohnHenry
Champion

I don't think the Bombers did that much wrong. They started the season with Buck but he didn't follow the directive to protect himself and played no better than rookie. The time came to go with Plan B and they ill-advisedly named Goltz the "starter for the rest of the season", probably to give him some confidence. Goltz, the 4th-stringer last season, struggled and looked a long way from becoming a winning QB. Now they had to find out if ex-NFL'er Max Hall can play. It's perhaps unfair to him, but Hall will get 1 game to "show or go". If he's found wanting too, the Bombers can start with a clean QB slate for next season.

I don't know what else the Bombers could do? They need to find a QB who can play and Hall is the next one up. They put themselves in this position by pig-headedly refusing to get an experienced backup QB for Buck...which probably cost Mack his job.

The Bombers OC Gary Crowton, who has no experience in the CFL, had recruited Hall in college and probably had pushed for his acquisition by the Bombers. This is make or break for Crowton also. If Hall falters, the then OC will likely be fired with Bellefuille taking over.

The word in Wpg is that coach Burke wanted to acquire Kevin Glenn in the off-season (who was purportedly available for a 2nd-round pick) but was over-ruled by Mack who was high on Buck and Goltz.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What could the Bombers have done differently? Well they could have given Elliott and Brink more time to develop. They expect a guy to pop out of the box and head straight to the Hall of Fame. That happened with Ricky Ray, but is rare, rare, rare. They give up on guys too soon. Even Goltz might have developed.

Why is it that Wally and his staff feel that Elliott has sufficient ability and potential to be worthy of a roster spot? And yet the Bombers cut him loose, after he had thrown for some 300 yard games?

* Judging talent to bring in.

* Judging talent once it is brought in.

* Patience in developing QBs.

But the Bomber staff has been operating in a panic, changing their minds, disagreeing, meddling.

The Bombers may have done a decent job in judging talent to bring in. And they give up on guys too fast.

They may lose sight of that talent when they keep on losing.

They totally lack patience in developing QB talent.

Just IMO, as a CFL fan concerned about the Bomber franchise ...

Do we have to be concerned about the Eskimos? The fan base is hanging in there, with some grumbling, it seems to me. Could be more losing seasons on the horizon however. Reed will have to be let go at some point, it seems to me. Hervey may never prove he can GM the team.

Do we have to be concerned about the Alouettes? Nah. But Popp will have to find a very good HC next time.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Edmonton Sun ...
Bombers promote Kyle Walters to acting GM

By Paul Friesen,Winnipeg Sun

First posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 08:27 AM MDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 09:12 AM MDT

Kyle Walters was named the Bombers' acting general manager on Tuesday. (FILE PHOTO)

Assistant GM Kyle Walters is now the acting GM of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Acting CEO Wade Miller made the announcement in a news release this morning.

"Kyle knows our football team inside and out,” Miller said in a statement. “I have every confidence that he will play a major role in helping us get a consistently competitive product back on the field.”

Walters takes the job on an acting basis after Joe Mack was fired last week.

Mack named him assistant GM going into this season after he spent three seasons on the coaching staff.

He's also responsible for scouting Canadian colleges and helped manage the salary cap and negotiate contracts.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bombers' Justin Goltz feels 'betrayed' by demotion

By Paul Friesen,Winnipeg Sun

First posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 01:44 PM MDT | Updated: Monday, August 12, 2013 10:13 PM MDT

Justin Goltz says he feels "betrayed" after being demoted to the third-string quarterback, only two weeks after being named the long-term starter by the Bombers. (KEVIN KING/WINNIPEG SUN FILE PHOTO)

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers returned to practice a picture of dysfunction Monday.

A new starting quarterback — the third one already this season — and new offensive consultant were easy to spot.

Who’s making the decisions is another story.

First, the decision to make Max Hall the starting quarterback for Friday’s game against Hamilton, demoting Justin Goltz to No. 3 after just two starts.

“I don’t know who made the call,” a visibly shaken Goltz said. “You ask around and nobody can give you a straight answer.

“I definitely feel betrayed at this point.”

Veteran Buck Pierce, now No. 2 on the depth chart, was shaking his head, too.

“I have no idea who’s making any kind of calls anymore,” Pierce said. “I stopped trying to figure it out. I’ve been in this league a long time ... and it’s a first.”

Not even Hall could say who made him the starter.

Only when head coach Tim Burke spoke did the answer come. And it’s not the one you’d expect.

Burke washed his hands of the decision, saying he left it up to the offensive coaches, led by co-ordinator Gary Crowton.

“I’m going to leave it up to them,” Burke said. “I stated my opinion, but I’m not going to handcuff them. That’s not my job.

“My expertise is on defence.”

As for the hiring of longtime CFL coach Marcel Bellefeuille as a consultant for the offence, Burke said that wasn’t just his call, either.

New CEO Wade Miller was involved. In fact, Bellefeuille said it was Miller who called him on the weekend.

Burke said he, Miller, and assistant GM Kyle Walters are making the football decisions. Well, at least the ones not involving the quarterbacks.

“I’m the head coach and I’m doing my job to the best of my ability,” Burke said. “Wade’s not dictating anything. So far it’s been us three making the decisions.”

As for his two confused quarterbacks, Burke said they’re understandably upset but will get over it.

Both Goltz and Pierce say the pressure to win is causing knee-jerk reactions.

“There’s a lot of pressure with a lot of people’s jobs,” Goltz said.

“Everybody’s trying to search for a fast fix. And I don’t think one person’s going to come in and turn around our offence. There’s a lot of pieces that need to be fixed.”
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I don’t know who made the call,” a visibly shaken Goltz said. “You ask around and nobody can give you a straight answer.

“I definitely feel betrayed at this point.”
Veteran Buck Pierce, now No. 2 on the depth chart, was shaking his head, too.

“I have no idea who’s making any kind of calls anymore,” Pierce said. “I stopped trying to figure it out. I’ve been in this league a long time ... and it’s a first.”
Not even Hall could say who made him the starter.

Only when head coach Tim Burke spoke did the answer come. And it’s not the one you’d expect.

Burke washed his hands of the decision, saying he left it up to the offensive coaches, led by co-ordinator Gary Crowton.

“I’m going to leave it up to them,” Burke said. “I stated my opinion, but I’m not going to handcuff them. That’s not my job.

“My expertise is on defence.”
Kind of a head shaker when the HC leaves the QB decision up to the offensive coaches. :dizzy:
As for the hiring of longtime CFL coach Marcel Bellefeuille as a consultant for the offence, Burke said that wasn’t just his call, either.

New CEO Wade Miller was involved. In fact, Bellefeuille said it was Miller who called him on the weekend.
Who is in charge around here? LOL :dizzy:
Burke said he, Miller, and assistant GM Kyle Walters are making the football decisions. Well, at least the ones not involving the quarterbacks.

“I’m the head coach and I’m doing my job to the best of my ability,” Burke said. “Wade’s not dictating anything. So far it’s been us three making the decisions.”
LOL Keystone Kops.
As for his two confused quarterbacks, Burke said they’re understandably upset but will get over it.

Both Goltz and Pierce say the pressure to win is causing knee-jerk reactions.

“There’s a lot of pressure with a lot of people’s jobs,” Goltz said.

“Everybody’s trying to search for a fast fix. And I don’t think one person’s going to come in and turn around our offence. There’s a lot of pieces that need to be fixed.”
Panic. Meddling. Try this. Nope. Try that. Gotta do something. Try something else. Merry go round.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Walters could be relegated to no. #3 before the next game or no. #2 or whatever.

The ONLY conclusion I can come to is that Marcel B will be the next HC of the Bombers as he's Miller's pick kind of like the other Miller in SASK did when he sacked Greg Marshall.

There are sure a lot of very bad ACTORS in that organization. Talk about a disaster.

Burke washes his hands on the QB decision.
[b]Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Bombers a gong show

[/b]
Paul Friesen
By Paul Friesen ,Winnipeg Sun

First posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 09:40 PM CDT

Let's start with the quarterbacks -- where else? -- and Tim Burke's new strategy, which apparently goes something like, "Anybody can touch the quarterbacks but me."

Going into Friday's home game against Hamilton, the head coach has taken the bizarre step of washing his hands of the most important decision a team can make.

The Bombers won't start Burke's choice, but that of offensive co-ordinator Gary Crowton and the assistants: first-year CFLer Max Hall.

"I'm going to leave it up to them," Burke said. "I stated my opinion, but I'm not going to handcuff them."
Amazing. He almost agrees that he is letting the OC screw up. What kind of spineless jellyfish is this HC?? Or, he knows that he's about to be fired and doesn't give a rats arse as Bellefeuille is about to take over. Stranger things have happened on Blunderland recently.
The head coach should choose the starting quarterback, period.

Unless, of course, he's giving his beleaguered offensive co-ordinator just enough rope to hang himself.

"I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions from that," Burke said.
Incredible to say the least:
Some of his players are apoplectic.

"I have no idea who's making any kind of calls anymore," Buck Pierce said. "I stopped trying to figure it out. I've been in this league for a long time... and it's a first."

And we're told Pierce will be the first off the bench, while Goltz will be operating the wildcat formation this week.

Go get 'em, boys.

This takes dysfunction to a whole new level.

"That's your opinion that it's dysfunctional," Burke said. "I'm the head coach and I'm doing my job to the best of my ability."

But if you're not picking your quarterback or choosing your assistants, what's left, exactly?

I guess he can always ring the gong every morning.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be interesting who gets the start for the next game if Hall falters