Riders 41 - Lions 38, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
I agree with you about Lulay, if he goes south, it won't be pretty.
I am more concerned about Elimimian going south than Lulay. Lulay isn't ready. If he goes, Jarious, assuming he returns, can fill the gap until he returns. Or we can develop Reily. Or both.

Import receivers are not hard to find. I'd like Arcenaux to stay, but if he goes, he goes. Rush ends are hard to find and we need at least one, probably two. The back end of the secondary needs some help as well.

I agree with whomever mentioned moving starting field position back in overtime (I also support the NCAA doing this).

This season went exactly as I expected, 8-10 with a first round loss. While the personnel outlook is promising, barring significant defections, we need some of the discussed ad nauseum changes to the coaching staff. Keeping Rich Stubler around would help also. Fortunately, he lives not too far over the border.
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Kamloops Lion wrote:[quote="in all the years that the CFL has had the shootout, I can't remember a team going out and simply kicking a field goal from the 35 to win.
Actually, BC did just that in the 2004 Western Final. After McCallum for the Riders missed a chip shot, Wally agreed to O'Mahoney's desire to simply kick a 40-yard FG from the 40 on first and 10. Lions won.

As for the playoff format, nothing beats the former CFL version of two five-minute halves.
I never have understood why they adopted the NCAA's shotgun format. It is a bit too gimmicky and does not complement the first 60 minutes of play.[/quote]

You are spot on with the take on the two five-minute halves being the best.

I was not sure if they canned it due to TV issues with say the first game of a double header going to OT or games going too long or if they felt that there were too many kick offs risking injury which for fans was fantastic over the gimmicky stuff with a two point convert tossed in.

Didn't Wally once just try to kick a single to win on the first play but missed?

These Lions have a lot of fight in them and if their new players are believed the culture sounds positive in BC. It might not give them a 100% redemption for the year going into next season with the date for the Dome being an issue but it could help them. If the season had ended as it began it'd be looking pretty dire for next year and ticket sales. Too bad the Dome date is not able to be set firmly in place as they will have a marketing challenge after this season and all the criticism that they took for their offence with so much heat being directed as their present and future OC. Lulay has a lot of support in the fan base which helps them and the decision to go with him makes a lot more sense now given how the season played out and the wins that came with Travis Lulay at QB. I fetl that Jackson should have got more of a shot as he is a quality QB and good team leader and had done it for them in the past. Lulay made Buono's decision to test Lulay as the future QB look to be a good one. He has a lot of upside it seems but like any QB of his age and experience he will make some mistakes.

I would like the Lions to include more of a running game but that is not likely to happen as this does not fit their coaching philosophy pretty much like Ritchie Hall differs from Tillman on being HC and DC at the same time. No one will change their minds on this stuff and definitely not the Lions HC and OC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
pennw
Legend

I don't think Elimimian is going to the NFL , not because of a lack of ability though , but the fact he's not as big as they like their linebacker's there .
As for Lulay , what's his contract status ? He does need an extension to his contract asap . Even if the NFL doesn't come calling for him , would not other CFL teams love to have him too ? It would be like starting over should he be gone .
Rodu
Champion

pennw wrote:I don't think Elimimian is going to the NFL , not because of a lack of ability though , but the fact he's not as big as they like their linebacker's there .
True, but he may get a look as a special teams player, but way to undersized for a starting LB, I can't think of many that are only 6 foot down there
Tighthead
Legend

Rodu wrote:
pennw wrote:I don't think Elimimian is going to the NFL , not because of a lack of ability though , but the fact he's not as big as they like their linebacker's there .
True, but he may get a look as a special teams player, but way to undersized for a starting LB, I can't think of many that are only 6 foot down there
Gary Brackett and Lofa Tatupu off the top off my head
MacNews
Team Captain

Kamloops Lion wrote:As for the playoff format, nothing beats the former CFL version of two five-minute halves.
I never have understood why they adopted the NCAA's shotgun format. It is a bit too gimmicky and does not complement the first 60 minutes of play.

:whs:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: Why did we not try the pitch-out to Robertson again after he gained 37 yds the one time we used it? Only 11 rushing attempts (mainly right up the middle into the stacked box) is surprising with such a conservative offensive scheme.
Actually it was Yonus Davis. The was the only time Davis was in the backfield. Typical Chap playcalling; abandon what works and go back to the duck and dump offence
rb
Champion

It was a great game; I thought the Lions played fairly well. You can't expect Durant to keep missing wide open receivers all the time.

Here's my peeve. 3rd and 10 from Sask 45, :08 left in the 1st half. Why punt????? Go for it. If you miss, either the half is over or Sask has time for just one play which isn't going to do them any good. If you make it, you probably get a FG. Or wind up and throw a Hail Mary into the end zone. Anything but punt. Wally just wasted a nearly risk-free opportunity to try to put more points on the board.
rb
Champion

Blitz wrote:In the Wally era in B.C. we've won 3 playoff games and lost 7 playoff games.
Actually it's 5 wins, 8 losses.
rb
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:

Arseneux could be lost to the NFL, but what about Lulay? Not sure of his contract status, but I suggested last season Lulay looks like NFL material to me. If the Lions were to lose Lulay, they might as well mothball the franchise.
I don't think Lulay's arm is up to snuff by NFL standards. And what has he really accomplished up here? Not that much yet. He looks like a CFL guy to me.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

rb wrote:It was a great game; I thought the Lions played fairly well. You can't expect Durant to keep missing wide open receivers all the time.

Here's my peeve. 3rd and 10 from Sask 45, :08 left in the 1st half. Why punt????? Go for it. If you miss, either the half is over or Sask has time for just one play which isn't going to do them any good. If you make it, you probably get a FG. Or wind up and throw a Hail Mary into the end zone. Anything but punt. Wally just wasted a nearly risk-free opportunity to try to put more points on the board.
Totally concur and with hindsite - game, set, match. If yer scart you`ll miss and they`ll run it back for a td yer in the wrong business. Same with 3rd and 1 - its got to be done imo.
Rammer
Team Captain

1greatmysticbushape wrote:
rb wrote:It was a great game; I thought the Lions played fairly well. You can't expect Durant to keep missing wide open receivers all the time.

Totally concur and with hindsite - game, set, match. If yer scart you`ll miss and they`ll run it back for a td yer in the wrong business. Same with 3rd and 1 - its got to be done imo.
That is the catch though hindsight. At the time I wouldn't have gone for it because the Lions haven't placed McCallum for a FG try from that distance as IR. You have all season long to see what he can do and not at a point in the game where a return will bite you big.
Entertainment value = an all time low
rb
Champion

rb wrote:
Blitz wrote:In the Wally era in B.C. we've won 3 playoff games and lost 7 playoff games.
Actually it's 5 wins, 8 losses.
Whoops, I need to correct my own correction. 5 wins, 7 losses.
rb
Champion

Rammer wrote:
1greatmysticbushape wrote:

That is the catch though hindsight. At the time I wouldn't have gone for it because the Lions haven't placed McCallum for a FG try from that distance as IR. You have all season long to see what he can do and not at a point in the game where a return will bite you big.
Let me clarify: I meant "go for it" as in gamble on third down. If it's successful, the FG is 42 yards at most. There's hardly any risk involved, given the field position and the remaining time.