A Bone To Pick with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Yes, I also have a big problem with the boards. When both teams break the huddle, I don't want to have to look up to find down and distance and time. I want to see formations and match-ups. The time both teams are in the huddle is when I'll look up for that information...but alas, it's never available. I can't stand seeing an ad up there every 5 seconds.
I agree that its deeply annoying. I've said this before --- BC Place does not do enough to engender a football culture or to put that culture front and centre, as it should. Score, time, down & distance MUST be present in the stadium during 100% of the game.

Also, please keep the hip-hop crap to a minimum. That stuff is tuneless garbage - anti-music. Music for people who hate music. Like iPod listeners! (OK I admit I have one and I do listen to it, but it sucks. My $40 Sony Discman blows it away).
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

CLASSIC ROCK !!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY P OR whayever he,s called? cant say i ever notice him during the game?

does he do anything? wish crazy george wasnt getting to old!
almo89
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote:Yes, I also have a big problem with the boards. When both teams break the huddle, I don't want to have to look up to find down and distance and time. I want to see formations and match-ups. The time both teams are in the huddle is when I'll look up for that information...but alas, it's never available. I can't stand seeing an ad up there every 5 seconds.
I agree that its deeply annoying. I've said this before --- BC Place does not do enough to engender a football culture or to put that culture front and centre, as it should. Score, time, down & distance MUST be present in the stadium during 100% of the game.

Also, please keep the hip-hop crap to a minimum. That stuff is tuneless garbage - anti-music. Music for people who hate music. Like iPod listeners! (OK I admit I have one and I do listen to it, but it sucks. My $40 Sony Discman blows it away).
I want the old green and black score clock back. I can't stand the new one cause it keeps on disappearing.

Ipod does suck for sound quality, but i just use it because you can put in a lot of songs and I can bring it to work. When Im at home, I listen to CD's on my system.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't really have a problem with the music as long as it's not rap. Tim Donovan.... now that's another issue.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:Also, please keep the hip-hop crap to a minimum. That stuff is tuneless garbage - anti-music. Music for people who hate music. Like iPod listeners! (OK I admit I have one and I do listen to it, but it sucks. My $40 Sony Discman blows it away).
Now, I think that's going a bit far. I don't much care for hip hop either, I'm a metalhead and I've had to endure more than my fair share of "it's nothing but noise" comments, so I tend not to view other music regardless of my personal tastes in such a limited fashion. Keep in mind that hip hop is what the majority of the players on the team like and listen to. I think a balance can be found between several different styles, hip hop and metal included.
hwgill
Legend

I can't stand hip-hop, or pop, or any of that crap either, and neither can my kids. Both of my sons (and my older son's friends) listen to hard rock and metal. They in fact begged me to take them to the Iron Maiden concert in Seattle a couple of months back (great show, BTW, hadn't seen them since Powerslave).

I do find it frustrating though when the crowd gets overly loud while the Lion's O is onfield. My wife gives me hell for complaining, but like I tell her, it has an effect on the teams on the field, and we need to minimize our volume effect on the Leos while they have the ball.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
No Ka Oi
Starter

BC Place stadium will undergo a $350 Million upgrade over the next few seasons, including a state-of-the-art HDTV replay screen (with supersharp commercials 8) ), new HD audio system, new washrooms, upgraded and renovated concession areas, and oh yes...a retractable dome! So hopefully a scoreboard with down and distance will be included somewhere?

Yes, the music can be grating at times, but they have to appeal to the younger generation while not annoying their older fan base, the " they'd better turn down that darn rap music or I'm not coming back!" crowd.
bclions4life

No Ordinary Joe got it right. A lot of the players grew up with hip-hop and for many, it's simply part of their culture. I know this because I sit right behind the Lions' bench and last year, before kick-off, the DJ would play the instrumental to T.I. "Big Things Poppin'" and Korey Banks, LaVar Glover, and Dante Marsh would get in a circle and freestyle rap. It was awesome. But there is a lack of hip-hop now... I don't like it one bit. I love hearing the Guns N' Roses and AC/DC and all of that, but the fact of the matter is that there simply isn't enough hip-hop.

And someone here brought up Tim Donavon... I am a huge Tim fan and think that he does an amazing job getting the crowd pumped up. He's got the voice for it for sure. Keep Tim.
pennw
Legend

I'm ok with anything except rap or hip-hop . Dead silence would be better than either of those two. My 17 year old daughter despises hip-hop just as much as I do ,so it's not just a generational thing either. I don't think I could sit through a football game if they played hip-hop through out the game .
David
Team Captain

I think some of you are getting caught up in semantics. When hip hop (SIDE NOTE - it's generally not referred to as RAP anymore) was suggested, I don't think anyone meant that's ALL that should be played over the PA. The main point is that the club has to bring its music a little more up-to-date to appeal to an ever-increasing group of younger fans, not to mention many of the players on the field.

That said, I think the music presentation has been taken up a notch this year (mind you, that's not saying much) with more inspiring, albeit outdated tunes. For example, I like Black Box's Strike It Up to bring a little more energy to the crowd, even though it's now 18 years old. But can we please put a moratorium on the Jeopardy theme song every time a referee goes under the replay hood? That is soooo trite, not to mention a total waste of valuable minutes of GOOD music time.

Where the club could help itself is by upping the "cool" quotient inside BC Place. I don't profess to be an expert in this area but I know it when I see it and sorry, Tim Donovan and Crazy P ain't it. Not surprisingly, the best game day experience for me at BC Place (ever) took place at the 2005 Grey Cup. They had a charismatic black MC (from the Molson ads?) who worked the stands. He was neither too loud nor obnoxious and struck the right balance between understated and energetic. The sound was 100x better that day too, as they set up speakers along the field and pointed them up to the stands. What a novel concept! (he says, dripping with sarcasm).

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

My point is we'll never make every one happy with the music period. We are all sharply divided in what we like and those in charge at BC Place ( or anywhere else for that matter) know this . You make one segment happy , you piss off another no mattter which way you go .I'm not even going to ask them to play what I like . I go there to watch football , not listen to music . For anyone person to ask for just what they like is simply inconsideration for the rest . The end result of trying to keep everyone happy is probably what we got now .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:My point is we'll never make every one happy with the music period. We are all sharply divided in what we like and those in charge at BC Place ( or anywhere else for that matter) know this . You make one segment happy , you piss off another no mattter which way you go .I'm not even going to ask them to play what I like . I go there to watch football , not listen to music . For anyone person to ask for just what they like is simply inconsideration for the rest . The end result of trying to keep everyone happy is probably what we got now .
Here, here!

If they play something I enjoy, bonus. Oh and Roar you Lions Roar after TD's would be nice, I could stand to hear that several times a game. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
xon100
Starter

CatsEyes wrote:
bclions4life wrote:I totally agree. Why not get the players involved? Like, Otis Floyd saying LOUD ON D and Geroy Simon saying QUIET ON O...
Or just have big Ty Williams on the screen staring menacingly, and nothing happening until people shut up. Meh, just a thought! :wink: :roar:
This needs to happen. During the Montreal game I know a few fans were actually trying to drown ou the chanting Montreal fans while we had the ball :bang: . The Lions need to help educate fans and using the Felions and the score board are all great ideas.

I was at the game in Edmonton last week (not a good game to watch in person) and their mascot is all over trying to get the fans going when they are on D. We need that too.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:My point is we'll never make every one happy with the music period. We are all sharply divided in what we like and those in charge at BC Place ( or anywhere else for that matter) know this . You make one segment happy , you piss off another no mattter which way you go .I'm not even going to ask them to play what I like . I go there to watch football , not listen to music . For anyone person to ask for just what they like is simply inconsideration for the rest . The end result of trying to keep everyone happy is probably what we got now .
The problem is that I think almost NOBODY is happy with ANY of the music now. For the most part, we don't seem to be asking for all of one thing - be it all-rap, all-metal, all-classics, etc. A balanced mix is fine. It's just ALL in serious need of updating.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Soundy wrote:
The problem is that I think almost NOBODY is happy with ANY of the music now. For the most part, we don't seem to be asking for all of one thing - be it all-rap, all-metal, all-classics, etc. A balanced mix is fine. It's just ALL in serious need of updating.
:whs:

During one change-over you can play some Zeppelin. Then during the TV timeout have some DMX followed by some Metallica after the next play and then Roar You Lions Roar when the Leos score on the ensuing snap. Everybody's happy.