Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:There are rumours that Chapdelaine is headed to Saskatchewan to become their new offensive coordinator. I hope that Durant likes the hand signals.
I would be very happy for JC if that is the case. He deserves another opportunity.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:Chapdelaine for HC wouldn't be a bad choice, as I think that he needs more control than he was allowed as OC with the Lions. Of course I was sick of the OC by 2010, but having the offensive background, he would help any OC that was hired. It may not be popular, but until we find out the real candidates, I would keep an open mind to his selection, especially given the limited list that we are working on.

I would also add Jeff Reinebold to the staff, he is a great bridge between players and coaches, not sure how his OC resume looks, but I could handle the idea of him being the OC as well. Then the two other coaching positions to be filled would have to be the ST coach and OL coach, with Kelly Bates being lined up for the OL move already. Those are the important ones, the rest are on the new HC. :)
Chapdelaine was fired partly because he's a tough sell to season ticket holders now you want him back as Head Coach ?
Oh just going through the process TLK. Honestly, JC has as good a resume as we would want as an OC -> HC, considering that DD isn't moving in this direction. I know the problem the Lions would have in selling him as the HC, but if he could round up a good coaching staff, then he is a legit fit. Problem is that I don't think that JC plays well with others and doesn't have the connections to bring in a top end coaching staff, and they may only be done by smoke signals to get the right guys that aren't part of the system now. He does have a Wally connection....just may not have the right 'personality' to be a consideration.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Talked to a season ticket holder at the Grey Cup. He was downtown and met Wally Buono. He suggested the hiring of Jeff Garcia as the new Head Coach. Buono's reply was that he has no coaching experience. Guess we can scratch Garcia from Wally's wish list.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Talked to a season ticket holder at the Grey Cup. He was downtown and met Wally Buono. He suggested the hiring of Jeff Garcia as the new Head Coach. Buono's reply was that he has no coaching experience. Guess we can scratch Garcia from Wally's wish list.
That figures. In the box thinking.

Agreed. Scratch Garcia off our list. We will see what team gets his services. Might stay with the Alouettes.

So tomorrow the Great Head Coach Hunt begins for the Lions. I would like to hear Wally's detailed criteria. Maybe it's just that feeling you get from a personality.

Bo Levi Mitchell got some help from Garcia. Yeah, but Garcia has no experience coaching.

Jonathan Crompton got some help from him. Nah ... No experience.

Xs and Os? Nah ... Who needs Xs and Os? Personality ... That's the ticket.

No dice roll on Garcia. Wally knows better. Hasn't Wally hired some great Head Coaches in the past? Uh ... No.

Exciting time for our franchise? Hmmmm ... Dangerous waters for the Good Ship LeoPop.

And publicly putting down the credentials of a candidate, to the media, or to a fan? Not good.

We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz, I don't doubt that you are right about Wally, but WHY wouldn't we scoop up Ritchie Hall before someone else does? The same with Barron Miles...I always did things in business to make us better...adding great people if they became available and finding a spot for them even if one didn't readily exist. If Wally doesn't start applying this principle now, we are going to get left in the dust!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz, I don't doubt that you are right about Wally, but WHY wouldn't we scoop up Ritchie Hall before someone else does? The same with Barron Miles...I always did things in business to make us better...adding great people if they became available and finding a spot for them even if one didn't readily exist. If Wally doesn't start applying this principle now, we are going to get left in the dust!
Ritchie Hall runs an agressive D, but he was so far over his head in Edmonton that they choose Reed for his replacement. He is not for the Lions. Now Miles is someone that I would be happy to see return to the Lions, but where is the opening for him? Washington is already DC, and there is noway that Miles is getting the nod to HC over Washington...

Now that Garcia isn't going to be selected, the real hunt for Orange December is on.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Huff was interviewed on the GC post game radio show and was asked about his future. His reply was that he will have an announcement in a few days.

So if we read between the lines and speculate like we love to do, what do you suppose his announcement could mean?

If Huff intended to remain GM/HC wouldn't he have just said so? He must be either seriously contemplating making Dickenson the HC and needs a few days to make the final decision or DD as HC is already a done deal and has been so for a few weeks and Huff and DD are just waiting for the right time to make the announcement.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Blitz, I don't doubt that you are right about Wally, but WHY wouldn't we scoop up Ritchie Hall before someone else does? The same with Barron Miles...I always did things in business to make us better...adding great people if they became available and finding a spot for them even if one didn't readily exist. If Wally doesn't start applying this principle now, we are going to get left in the dust!
Ritchie Hall runs an agressive D, but he was so far over his head in Edmonton that they choose Reed for his replacement. He is not for the Lions. Now Miles is someone that I would be happy to see return to the Lions, but where is the opening for him? Washington is already DC, and there is noway that Miles is getting the nod to HC over Washington...

Now that Garcia isn't going to be selected, the real hunt for Orange December is on.
Rammer, I mean that if Ritchie Hall is to be dismissed as the DC, then we can hire him as the DC and bring Barron Miles along as well...all of this will be determined by the new HC, but you don't keep Mark Washington as the DC when Ritchie Hall is available. Ritchie Hall wrote the book on how to beat the BC Lions offence from 2004 on...

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:Huff was interviewed on the GC post game radio show and was asked about his future. His reply was that he will have an announcement in a few days.

So if we read between the lines and speculate like we love to do, what do you suppose his announcement could mean?

If Huff intended to remain GM/HC wouldn't he have just said so? He must be either seriously contemplating making Dickenson the HC and needs a few days to make the final decision or DD as HC is already a done deal and has been so for a few weeks and Huff and DD are just waiting for the right time to make the announcement.
Either way Dano, DD is NOT coming to work for Wally...its not happening...if Dave has to wait another couple of years, then he will, but he won't work for Wally!

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Huff was interviewed on the GC post game radio show and was asked about his future. His reply was that he will have an announcement in a few days.

My guess is Hufnagel is going out the same way as Buono... as champions. He will relinquish the coaching to Dickenson
korey&dante4ever
Champion

The more and more I think about it.... We really are backed up against the wall in the search for a Head Coach/Coaching staff.

I'm going to be shocked if we can put together a staff that makes sense. Worried, to say the least.

Also, is it even possible for the new head coach to have a defensive background? What are the chances that his defensive philosophies mesh with Mark Washington's philosophies? It has to be astronomical.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hufnagel said after the game that he will continue to coach next year.
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Rammer, I mean that if Ritchie Hall is to be dismissed as the DC, then we can hire him as the DC and bring Barron Miles along as well...all of this will be determined by the new HC, but you don't keep Mark Washington as the DC when Ritchie Hall is available. Ritchie Hall wrote the book on how to beat the BC Lions offence from 2004 on...
I don't see Washington as a problem to fix...if ain't broke don't fix it. Washington will get better with time, and Ritchie's D may not work with our personel. I don't see that coming to fruitiion.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd love to see Barron Miles as special teams coordinator but that's up to the new coach. If we want a strong and independent leader, he'll need full autonomy over the coaching staff.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If the new head coach retains McMann and Dorazio then we know he again is just an extension of Wally and it's a complete waste of time. Both need to be shown the door.

Compared to teams like Montreal and Calgary, we are so far behind in development of Canadian offensive lineman it's not even funny.

The Stampeders o-line was outstanding yesterday and their four Canadian starters have a whopping seven years of experience combined.