2014 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:No team has done anything overly significant today.....Winnipeg signs Kohlert to the offer he had before the Ottawa draft, plus backup DB Craig Newman.......Edmonton signed Andrew Jones.

Biggest signings.....Toronto signed Emry......Montreal resigned Bourke.

That's it so far......I'm amazed that Ottawa hasn't made any announcements....they're the ones with all the available SMS room.....hopefully it's a sign of responsible management not willing to drive up salaries even though they can.
Kevin Glenn tweeted a message to Nick Moore and Keron Williams to avoid Ottawa because they lied to him. I suppose the bad press from a disgruntled player doesn't help the situation over there.

Also, Glenn stated that he is trying to be traded to BC, Saskatchewan or Edmonton.
Also reports of Glenn claiming his twitter account had been hacked. Definitely those tweets sound totally out of character. Glenn is a pro and has been around long enough to understand the business aspect. Ottawa changing gears when Burris became available it little more than a GM doing his job which is to say despite already having Glenn Desjardins saw opportunity to upgrade at QB and went for it.
Looking at the "tone" of those posts......IMHO, he thought he was private DMing......but posted to Twitter by mistake. I'm sure players DM messages like this all the time......but the public never sees them.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

Nick Moore has agreed to terms with Blue Bombers, according to Farhan Lalji.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

Big loss for the Lions after Moore developed into a real go to receiver. Guess they'll have to find someone through scouting.

Not happy with the Lions moves this off-season so far. Team is taking steps backwards in all areas.
lion24
Legend

looks like a losing day off the field for the Lions today along with off season surgeries to key players could be a rough season
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Big Time
Champion

Which off-season surgeries are you referring to? Lulay and Pierce? Or are there others?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Where is the aggressive stance on free agency?

Not that I believe it is the way to build a team, but that is the announced approach of Mike Benevides.

Why announce it that way, if your plan is to play it quietly? Naivety? Salesmanship? Baloney? Not realizing the dollars that it takes to sign top FAs? Wishful thinking?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
lion24
Legend

Arceneaux had surgery as well
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
squishy35
Legend

Still potential to see Jamal Johnson back here from Hamilton. Butler hasn't been signed out of Sask yet. Bell hasn't signed anywhere yet. What about Robert McCune out of Toronto (LB)? He could be an interesting commodity.
Last edited by squishy35 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Where is the aggressive stance on free agency?

Not that I believe it is the way to build a team, but that is the announced approach of Mike Benevides.

Why announce it that way, if your plan is to play it quietly? Naivety? Salesmanship? Baloney? Not realizing the dollars that it takes to sign top FAs? Wishful thinking?
IMO, Butler is the most important signing for the Lions FA season, and just like reeling in a marlin, sometimes it takes a little more finessing than other times to land the trophy. If the Lions end up with Butler, I think that they will have had a great FA signing window. Now if they don't, I am jumping onboard with the announcement of being aggressive, being an embarrassment. Beny has a tendency to open full throttle, sometimes you get burned, but most importantly he has to learn from it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Where is the aggressive stance on free agency?

IMO, Butler is the most important signing for the Lions FA season, and just like reeling in a marlin, sometimes it takes a little more finessing than other times to land the trophy. If the Lions end up with Butler, I think that they will have had a great FA signing window. Now if they don't, I am jumping onboard with the announcement of being aggressive, being an embarrassment. Beny has a tendency to open full throttle, sometimes you get burned, but most importantly he has to learn from it.
I agree, Rammer. Butler is the key. And Laurent could be, depending.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Spud387
Champion

Hambone wrote: Also reports of Glenn claiming his twitter account had been hacked. Definitely those tweets sound totally out of character. Glenn is a pro and has been around long enough to understand the business aspect. Ottawa changing gears when Burris became available it little more than a GM doing his job which is to say despite already having Glenn Desjardins saw opportunity to upgrade at QB and went for it.
Please... Having your twitter hacked is the lamest excuse going out there. Its the plausible dependability claim. He meant those as Direct Messages, but accidentally tweeted them.

Hacking twitter is hard and takes effort unless you know his passwords and use trial and error. Take a low profile person like Kevin Glenn (compared to NFL/NBA superstars) and no one is putting in the effort to hack his account. Simple as that.
David
Team Captain

If all we lose is Nick Moore and manage to sign Butler, then I think we come out ahead in the FA sweepstakes. I like Nick Moore, but not at $175K for 2 years which is the number that has been tossed out there (which is Geroy money). He's only had one really solid season. Butler however is a ratio changer. Dynamic import slotbacks are easier to find/groom/replace than hard-hitting safety/linebackers like Craig Butler (who was a West All-Star in his first season).

I think once Butler goes, you will see the second-tier players get scooped up a little faster. Teams that had allocated dollars to Bourke, Moore, and Butler etc. can now spend them on the next set of FAs and the dominoes will start to fall.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

"Three sources now saying #BCLions have lost out on Craig Butler, who is destined for Hamilton." - LU

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Nick Moore is a tough loss, but I don't know that I would have been happy with that salary...I would much rather see that kind of money go to a dominant O or DLineman...only time will tell now if WPG made the right move...but thus far for the Lions, it has been a paltry day...retaining Keron Williams is not a big deal IMO...probably the bigger news is that they are going to move him back to DE...but I am more than a little leery about our 2 DE's...old, getting slower, and without a great push...if we don't get pressure on the QB, Washington is in for a LONG season a DC...

Butler would be a nice save for the Lions day 1, but he is far from the missing piece to the puzzle.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
squishy35
Legend

David wrote::bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

"Three sources now saying #BCLions have lost out on Craig Butler, who is destined for Hamilton." - LU

nothing on TSN or CFL.ca yet......