Lions 16 - Roughriders 20 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Where to start after that debacle??

How about 0-3 at home against Western Division teams this season. All three games similar scripts too. Started like gangbusters and faded miserably in the 2nd half, especially on offence. We produced 3 points in the 2nd half against Edmonton, none against Winnipeg and 3 against the Riders. Absolutely pathetic never mind boring the fans to tears.

Brown returns opening kickoff to near midfield (results in FG), goes the distance for our lone major and Logan's long return to start the 2nd half resulted in another FG. So offence actually drove the field once for a FG in 4 quarters. Brutal!!!! Only pass attempt beyond 20 yards (besides the final play) was the Ianuzzi drop in 2nd to last series.

As Gerry points out, twice we are in position to kick a long field goal and chose to punt instead. The last one would have been a 52 yard attempt with 4:53 left that would have tied the game. Bene deserved to be scorched for his conservative ways and he was as Bagg hauled in a long completion to get the Riders out of trouble.

Then with 1:56 left after the Ianuzzi drop Benny decides to punt away even with his star MLB hurt and his team's inability to shut down the run the entire night. Of course, Riders able to run for a first down and Lions don't get the ball back until 44 seconds left on their 32 yard line needing to go the length of the field. Game over.

Steamed right now. Can we ask Skulsky to have a guarantee Bene is fired night if they lose the next home game?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Right after the Ssk FG to make it 16-12 in Q3 we opted to scrimmage on our 35 instead of taking a kickoff when our return game to that point (Tim Brown esp) was on fire. Why?
Another one of Benevides coaching decision that has people saying "what the hell is he thinking ?" It was obvious to everyone in the stadium with the exception of Benevides that Brown was unstoppable all afternoon. Benny decided to help the Riders by keeping Brown on the sideline. Dumb, dumb, dumb :bang: :bang:
Rammer
Team Captain

Working on that one game at a time Sammy, sometimes these forums are good to vent though. I have seen this script once too many times to get steamed anymore. Opps I did it again should be played in the locker room for the rest of the week.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What a way to spend a birthday!?!?!? :dizzy:

Looked good to start but the Riders were never out of it. And Durant looked solid especially driving the Riders twice late in the first half.

Maybe the Lions should offer some kinda 'road trip only' season ticket package? That did not seem anywhere near the same team I watched on TV last week versus the Argos. I know, I know, different teams but still it seems a little weak to say "COME ENJOY THE STADIUM EXPERIENCE" and then play like they did today. Tim Brown? well worth watching, had me up out of my seat a few times. I hope what thing taken is that BROWN can not be left on the sidelines for any more games. IMO, he was one of the reasons why the game was even as close as it was........

Coaching? I don't know if it was planned but the boomer punt late in the game for a rouge certainly changed things. All of a sudden a field goal was not going to be enough but considering the Lions offence, did the Riders need to be worried?

Some may laugh or not have the same experience that I did but I would like to give a big shout out to the Rider faithful. I usually HATE going to Rider games. I actually did not see that many (they were there but respectful). This was a real chance to rub it in and NOT ONE SINGLE RIDER FAN DID, to me anyways. If this is how RiderNation is going to be, I'm fine with it. True CFL fans, through and through, at least today. Maybe other Lionbackers or other sections had the more usual incarnation of Riderfan I'm used to and if so, SORRY! But me personally, classy, friendly CFL fans who happen to be wearing Rider Green. Hope the kinds of Ridernation members that were around me today are the kinds of fans I'll see at future Rider/Lions games.....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Here's a quarter-by-quarter breakdown on how many net yards we drove the ball on each offensive series. Prepare to :puke:

Q1: 20 (38ydFG), 49 (punt from Ssk43); 4 first downs
Q2: 4, 80 (16ydFG), 2; 5 first downs (all on FG drive)
Q3: 4 (21ydFG), 1, 0; 0 first downs
Q4: 1, 9, -1, 5, 0, 25; 3 first downs (2 on final drive)

After the 16yd FG with 5:35 left in Q2 we gained ONE measly first down until the game's final 40 seconds, on our first series of Q4. And most of the yardage gained on that series was negated by a Dean Valli UR penalty.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
swervynmerv
Legend

I had to take some time to calm down after this game. I have not been so mad for a long time, maybe the 2007 West Final against the same Riders. Some random thoughts rattling around in my head:

1. We have lost games to the Esks, Riders and Blue Bombers at home so far this year. That is totally unacceptable.

2. 10-0 lead at home and then you lose to a team without their starting QB for half the game.

3. Why are we so consistantantly pathetic in the red zone? What was the stat posted on TSN tonight about Red Zone performance? 27%, that is a joke!

4. We take way too many penalties that have cost us games this season. 3rd and 1 gamble in OUR stadium and WE take a procedure penalty. Don't we know the snap count!! :bang:

5. 6 points after the first quarter. Un-excusable. Brown gave us great field position all game and Logan did too early in the second half. When your offence gets starting position like that you should be scoring at will.

6. Dennis Skulsky, never liked him and sure looks stupid with egg on his face now! How many extra people really showed up because of his "promise"? The Riders are usually the big draw, can't imagine it was enough of a walk up to make up for the potential loss of free tickets going forward.

7. Kevin Glenn. I have seen enough. Too small and immobile. Great at times, average for the most. Has proven why he is a career back-up or a starter that has bounced around. As a starter this year he has lost games to Tino Sunseri, Troy Smith and Drew Willy, all first year starters. Not all his fault on those loses, but a QB of his experience should not be losing to those QB's.

8. Are we gonna make the playoffs? Great job giving Benny the extension Wally. The break would be a great time to make a coaching change with an under-achieving team!

I could go on and on but I look forward to the comments from others and in particular MLF, Blitz and WCJ who always have excellent analysis and not based on as much emotion as mine right now!

I will finish by stating as many have already that the problem with this team is COACHING! COACHING and COACHING! Most of my issues are a direct result of the coaching and if we had a guy like Chamblin, Hufnagel etc at the helm we may be 9-0 right now! No one will convince me that we do not have enough talent to be at least 7-2 going into the break and once Lulay is back and if he is form, we should be unstoppable.

With such a tight West and hosting the GC at home this year, IMHO a coaching change should be made during bye week. We probably have the worst HC in the league other than Tom (Ned Flanders) Higgins. Wally promoted Benny out of loyalty when he really didn't deserve it. The smart move would be to remove him and have Wally step in and try to save the season. We have 9 games left to turn it around and peak in time for the playoffs. I don't think this coaching staff can get it done. I hope i'm wrong!
Last edited by swervynmerv on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Right after the Ssk FG to make it 16-12 in Q3 we opted to scrimmage on our 35 instead of taking a kickoff when our return game to that point (Tim Brown esp) was on fire. Why?
Another one of Benevides coaching decision that has people saying "what the hell is he thinking ?" It was obvious to everyone in the stadium with the exception of Benevides that Brown was unstoppable all afternoon. Benny decided to help the Riders by keeping Brown on the sideline. Dumb, dumb, dumb :bang: :bang:
This is what Farhan Lalji tweeted about that play.

@FarhanLaljiTSN: Why are the #BCLions not asking the #Riders to kickoff after that last FG? @CFLonTSN

Your most dangerous player on the field by a country mile and he elects not to put the ball in his hands. Absolutely mind boggling.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post swervynmerv. I share a lot of your comments and frustration. Lions have lost the aura of home field dominance this season and that is due in large part in my opinion COACHING. Benevides is totally inconsistent. In one game he is the Mississippi gambler, in another he is ultra conservative. Will the real Benny please stand up ? It's time to park Kevin Glenn on the bench and go with Travis Lulay the second half of the season.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Man I need to stop going to games this year. Been to two. The bombers and now this. I saw things tonight once again that have plagued us most of the season.

Lack of Dline pressure. If I have said it once, I have said it 100 times. If the front four can't get regular pressure on opposing QB's, then we are likely to lose. Sunseri had loads of time most plays to go to second and third reads. If he did get pressure it almost always ended in an in-completion.

And what the hell is it with fricken Getzlaf? You know they are going to be throwing to him, can our vaunted secondary not find a way to cover him better.

Same with Bagg. If not for a total brain fart, the score would have been less flattering.

The Oline couldn't provide good protection tonight yet again. People have talked about it before and once again tonight our protection wasn't very good. We tried to counter with some short outs but longer developing plays weren't really on the menu. As well our running game was a not factor. While they constantly got 4 and 5 yards per run, we got 1 or 2. Not enough production on 1st down.

Lulay still not looking particularly effective. His last long bomb was a pretty lame duck. Accuracy looks very off as well.

Maybe I am way off base but does anybody else think the D looked better without Marsh than with him on the corner. Haven't been a big fan of him going back to last season.

The O was completely absent tonight. Not a sniff of continuity and after the intermission, there didn't appear to be the slightest bit of change in their overall game plan. Just hard to watch and even harder to stomach with Rider fans justifiably cheering as their team crawled back and eventually took the lead. I have serious doubts that this team will make the playoffs. If the effort they showed tonight is what can be expected from them in a big game, then they don't deserve it. As it was with the Bombers, a huge intra-division game with a chance to climb out of the basement and they simply weren't up to it. We have loads of talent but we don't know how to use it so it seems.

I don't know if it is bad coaching or what but this team doesn't look much like a team. It looks more like a group of talented players making due the best they can on individual efforts.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
This is what Farhan Lalji tweeted about that play.

@FarhanLaljiTSN: Why are the #BCLions not asking the #Riders to kickoff after that last FG? @CFLonTSN

Your most dangerous player on the field by a country mile and he elects not to put the ball in his hands. Absolutely mind boggling.
Mind boggling but almost predictable from MB. Earlier this year in a home game where TB wasn't dressed our KRs were hemmed inside the 25 and it took 3 or 4 rounds of this before he clued in and took it @35.

Something else that annoyed me: Khalif Mitchell taking an OC call just before the Clark TD. The yardage of the penalty was minimal (half the distance from the 2 so only 1yd) but more significantly it made him come off like a guy not so much with his head in the game but more concerned with settling petty scores. Besides, it's no secret they're throwing more flags than ever these days for lipping off to the officials. So no excuses.

Something else that annoyed me #2: I was surprised we didn't get called for Illegal Use of Electronic Equipment late in Q2 when game ops flashed on the videoboard a message of "HE HATES NOISE" underneath the live shot of DD calling for the snap. Unless the rule has changed since the time we were called for it a decade or so ago, you're not allowed to incite the crowd like that after the opposing offence has broken huddle and lined up over the ball. They even did it a second time — on the very next play if I'm not mistaken but definitely on that same series — with their O over the ball: "NO REALLY, HE HATES NOISE." We were doubly lucky not to get flagged for this.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Vancouver Sun's Ian McIntyre rips into the Lions and the league for the entertainment value which clearly has been lacking in BC Place and beyond this season.
“Certainly one of the reasons for this guarantee ... was to try to get this game to have some excitement,” Skulsky, vaguely recognizable despite the egg on his face, said after the game. “Unfortunately, I can’t put a check mark in that column and say we delivered. It’s just tougher slogging right now for all teams and the league.

“As a governor in this league, I do have a concern over that. We can chalk it up to a whole bunch of things — from the penalties, to some of the rule changes, to the disparity between East and West. For whatever reason, the games just haven’t been as compelling. Offences seem to be a step behind.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story ... d=10145840
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Coaching? I don't know if it was planned but the boomer punt late in the game for a rouge certainly changed things. All of a sudden a field goal was not going to be enough but considering the Lions offence, did the Riders need to be worried?
I have no doubt it was called that way. We were sputtering so badly on O — having only moved the ball a whopping 21 yards on our eight offensive series prior to that punt — what difference would it make to us whether we started from say, the 10 (for a GTFG) or the 35 (for a GWTD)? For the TD you'd have to drive farther (75 vs about 60 for the FG). Plus you'd likely catch our explosive returner by surprise (or really, our STC), which seems to be pretty much what happened.

Heck, if I were punting there I might even be bold enough to put a player onside to try running downfield after it for a TD, just like Ott did against Ssk in Week 6. Especially considering how we've been caught napping a few times this year on trick plays, and that they had to win by at least 14 to win the tiebreaker (for what that's worth) so you might consider such trickery under these circumstances.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So it turns out Sunday was International Topless Day.

Luckily, the Lions were only too accommodating in making sure that even the folks who went to the game didn't go home without seeing plenty of boobs.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With the O piling up 2 and outs in the second half, why did Lulay not get into the game earlier just for a change of pace and to try and shake things up a bit? :dizzy:

I know that Coach Benny has a game plan and likes to stick with it: "Run the ball and keep Glenn in the game and don't rush Lulay back in to action until after the bye week". This is fine, but if the game plan is clearly not working then adapt and make some changes. :bang:

Riders O line and D line clearly won the battle of the trenches. Until the Lions figure out how to stop the run they are going to struggle to win games.

It seemed like both of the Lions rookie OC and DC took backward steps in this game. The ST were the only bright spot.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Message for Kalif Mitchell: STOP BEING A CHEER LEADER and start focusing on being a football player. NFL cuts are coming and Kalif may be going if he doesn't up his game real soon.