Riders 23 - Lions 20 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote: ....
I don't have an issue with the offensive game plan either, though I noticed Lulay rolled out less than he has been previously, but you have to execute your passes in order to move the ball, something the Lions didn't do well early, but did much better later. They also missed on both deep shots (Bruce and Geroy).

You don't run to win. You run when you are winning. Run to win is one of the biggest misconceptions of football fans.
As for your comment about running the ball, last weeks final drive is a purrfect example of what you mean, I think. Hold onto that ball and lets that clock roll...

One other thing I think is probably a good point by the broadcast crew, is changing Lulay's launch point. Move him around, don't become too predictable. Its obvious this guy (Lulay) can really hurt a Defence by reminding them, "I got legs that can burn you just as easily as my right arm". IMO, it is so cool to have a QB that can do that so easily but still is better known for his passing.....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:[
3. Lulay had some decent stats but once again he missed some key throws...including a bad miss to a wide open Arland Bruce in the fourth quarter. Paris Jackson and Mark Iannuzzi both filled in well for Gore and Johnson and were not the problem in terms of our offence. One thing that has not been discussed was how much time Lulay had to throw the footballl during our winniing streak last season...sometimes he had all day back there...and we had Newman and Valli at the guard positions. Our offensive line has not provided the same kind of pass protection this season...its been ok but not great like last season and Olifoye has not played as well this season as last year. Lulay has been under more pressure and he has not been able to perform as well without that addiitional time. He's forced a lot of throws and also thrown into very tight windows.
I thought that, for the most part, he had plenty of time today. But his decision making still seems off overall. Any suggestions as to why? Are teams throwing something at him he's having trouble adjusting to consistently?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The media guys are talking about the non call holding at the goal line on the missed FG kick return.

And the non call holding on Bighill earlier in the game.

Well sometimes the refs can suck.

As a coach I would never place the blame there, and all coaches have experienced losses due to terrible calls.

Complaining about it brings attention to the need for top flight professional refereeing. And it encourages better refereeing in amateur sports, where some terrible homer reffing takes place.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:And this:

Sacks: Keron Williams, 1

Cheers,

James
I dont compute. If he averages one sack a game for the entirety of his career, he would be the best that's ever played the position.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:The media guys are talking about the non call holding at the goal line on the missed FG kick return.

And the non call holding on Bighill earlier in the game.

Well sometimes the refs can suck.

As a coach I would never place the blame there, and all coaches have experienced losses due to terrible calls.

Complaining about it brings attention to the need for top flight professional refereeing. And it encourages better refereeing in amateur sports, where some terrible homer reffing takes place.
I didn't like the pass interference call on Dressler and the refs should have called Willis off-side on our final dirve rather than giving us the procedure penalty. However, the refs did not cost us this game and they gave us a fumble recovery that we lost on a Rider challenbge.

If McCallum hits that 40 yard field goal we likely win the game. There were also a lot of missed plays out there from the missed throw to Bruce, the bad punt by MCCallum, the interception by Lulay, giving up two very long field goal returns....we have to look only at ourselves for this loss.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

It was a good game. It was a poorly officiate game, especially from a BC perspective. Saskatchewan played as good as they can, BC played at 75 %. I'll take the Lions long term. Long run, I think this will be remembered as a "good loss".
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This loss is probably a wake up call for our team. Talk of 18 and 0 doesn't help. We have not been championship sharp.

Regina played a careful game, and got away with it. They could very easily have lost, and probably should have.

Kudos to Paris Jackson and Marco Iannuzzi.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Johnson has a fractured forearm :bang:
Bighill is Badass
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Statistics are for losers. Never more apparent than this afternoon
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Statistics are for losers. Never more apparent than this afternoon
It looked like he landed on it in the end zone after scoring. Tough way to go down.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

We need to get healthy. 2-1 is fantastic considering the injuries to the offense. Started in training camp, and the bug is still with us. Getting pretty gross
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

yeah you could tell right away he was hurt.
Bighill is Badass
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Getting word Geroy broke his finger
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I was hoping Geroy just needed his finger popped back into place
Bighill is Badass
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

AC/DC Rocks wrote:Johnson has a fractured forearm :bang:
Is he lost for the season ?