Where will Casey end Up?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Where will Casey find employment in 2011?

Western CFL team
10%
Eastern CFL team
12%
Motivational Speaker for Anger Management Company
22%
Flipping Burgers
41%
Pro's vs Joe's (your choice)
15%

Total votes: 41
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe the odds are that Casey Printers pro career is over.

For all the jokes, I find it really sad. Casey Printers could have been one of the great CFL quarterbacks. He had it all. Wally said, at one time, he was his smartest quarterback, after Doug Flutie. When healthy he had amazing escapability. There are those who said that left him after 2004 but he showed that magic again in 2009. Printers had an amazing ability to throw accurately on the run, while rolling out, and under pressure. He could throw a bullet or throw a touch pass. He could throw out of the pocket and he could read a defense, dispite what a few posters say. He could throw the deep ball with the best of them. When healthy he was an excellent runner. He was tough, playing injured in 2004 and 2005 as well as this season.

Casey Printers problem was that he was too emotional and was too intense. He was obviously distracted this season. Whether it was his knee, off-field issues, or whether he was just too nervous trying to execute Chap's offence with the knowledge that Chap was never in his court, he appeared nervous and not very confident this season. One of his teammates said the same yesterday.

Printers had his fans and his detractors. He made some poor decisions. I don't believe leaving here in 2005 was one of them. It was Dickenson's team and if Printers would have taken the contract offer to be our starter in 2006 it would not have been an easy situation for him. It wasn't an easy situation for him to come back and to try to play for Chap, whom he knew was never a coach who would be in his court. He tried to do it Chap's way. Printers mistake was to go to Hamilton, instead of Montreal. Printers second mistake was to try to go away from his natural tendancies in trying to execute Chap's offence the way Chap wanted him to. His third mistake was to not look after the football, following he was under the gun to look after it following an uncharacteristic performance. Finally Printers blew it by chastising Wilson (who by the way engaged in the argument as fully as Printers and even pushed Printers but has gotten off scott free)

I think there were many of us who not only loved Printers talent but also the enthusiasm and excitement he brought to the Leos. However, Printers has always been an out there kind of guy and with that comes attention and controversy. Wally played more than his part in fanning that controversy and Printers also could be his own worst enemy on occasion. Printers had his detractors, including the old press in Vancouver, who loved Dickenson and never forgave the old quarterback controversy. In the end Printers made the kind of mistake he couldn't afford to make, especially with Wally and Company wanting blood and to set an example. Printers, by losing his cool, also did not set the example he should have. Neither did others in Winnipeg but Printers was on a shorter rope.

A potentially great career is gone. It feels like a waste of a tremendous talent. I wish Casey Printers well. He still has growing to do. I hope, in his next career, he can use the lessons learned in his CFL career, to reach his potential more than he did as a pro football player.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ravi
Legend

Blitz wrote:I believe the odds are that Casey Printers pro career is over.

For all the jokes, I find it really sad. Casey Printers could have been one of the great CFL quarterbacks. He had it all. Wally said, at one time, he was his smartest quarterback, after Doug Flutie. When healthy he had amazing escapability. There are those who said that left him after 2004 but he showed that magic again in 2009. Printers had an amazing ability to throw accurately on the run, while rolling out, and under pressure. He could throw a bullet or throw a touch pass. He could throw out of the pocket and he could read a defense, dispite what a few posters say. He could throw the deep ball with the best of them. When healthy he was an excellent runner. He was tough, playing injured in 2004 and 2005 as well as this season.

Casey Printers problem was that he was too emotional and was too intense. He was obviously distracted this season. Whether it was his knee, off-field issues, or whether he was just too nervous trying to execute Chap's offence with the knowledge that Chap was never in his court, he appeared nervous and not very confident this season. One of his teammates said the same yesterday.

Printers had his fans and his detractors. He made some poor decisions. I don't believe leaving here in 2005 was one of them. It was Dickenson's team and if Printers would have taken the contract offer to be our starter in 2006 it would not have been an easy situation for him. It wasn't an easy situation for him to come back and to try to play for Chap, whom he knew was never a coach who would be in his court. He tried to do it Chap's way. Printers mistake was to go to Hamilton, instead of Montreal. Printers second mistake was to try to go away from his natural tendancies in trying to execute Chap's offence the way Chap wanted him to. His third mistake was to not look after the football, following he was under the gun to look after it following an uncharacteristic performance. Finally Printers blew it by chastising Wilson (who by the way engaged in the argument as fully as Printers and even pushed Printers but has gotten off scott free)

I think there were many of us who not only loved Printers talent but the enthusiasm and excitement he brought to the Leos. However, Printers has always been an out there kind of guy and with that comes attention and controversy. He had his detractors, including the old press in Vancouver, who loved Dickenson. In the end Printers made the kind of mistake he couldn't afford to make, especially with Wally and Company wanting blood and to set an example.

A potentially great career is gone. It feels like a waste of a tremendous talent. I wish Casey Printers well. He still has growing to do. I hope, in his next career, he can use the lessons learned in his CFL career, to reach his potential more than he did as a pro football player.
What more can be said than what Blitz has said above? I think that he has summed up Casey Printers' career pretty well. There are two numbers that I always think of when I think of Printers. Those two numbers are 35 and 10 as in 35 TD passes and only 10 INTs in that magical '04 season. That wasn't a fluke IMO. What it showed was that Casey was capable of making good decisions with the football in addition to being extremely productive. When you add in his ability to electrify fans in a way that no Lions or CFL QB had done since Doug Flutie in '91 and you have a very special QB. If Casey could do that early in his career, there is no reason to believe why he can't do it in what should be the prime of his career. Unfortunately, he hasn't been in the right situations for him in KC, Hamilton or B.C. Will he ever find that right situation with the right coach again? I sure hope so because watching Printers at his best is one of the greatest experiences that a CFL fan can enjoy but I worry that he will not get another chance in this league.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I guess this is what he will be doing

http://www.caseyprintersinc.com/home.html
From that site:
Casey attended Texas Christian University (TCU) and Florida A&M University where he excelled as an outstanding college quarterback landing him in the CFL as the highest paid quarterback and later in the NFL with the Kansas City Chief as their back-up quarterback. While not attaining the marquise [sic] player for the Chiefs, Casey still took his role seriously as a member of the Chiefs and the Kansas City community as he began to participate as a volunteer in the public schools to inspire and encourage young students.
Talk about understatement there. Let's not talk about grammar and spelling. And no mention of his career after KC.
in the CFL as the highest paid quarterback

Never mind winning games and MOP. We've got priorities here, folks.

:tp:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

.... He had it all. Wally said, at one time, he was his smartest quarterback, after Doug Flutie. ..
Either wally told a bald faced lie, or he is nowhere near the talent judge I thought he was.

Maybe wally is overrated after all
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:

.... He had it all. Wally said, at one time, he was his smartest quarterback, after Doug Flutie. ..
Either wally told a bald faced lie, or he is nowhere near the talent judge I thought he was.

Maybe wally is overrated after all
I can't remember Wally ever saying that CP was the smartest QB since Flutie . Sorry but I'll need to see proof of that before I'll believe it .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: A potentially great career is gone. It feels like a waste of a tremendous talent. I wish Casey Printers well. He still has growing to do. I hope, in his next career, he can use the lessons learned in his CFL career, to reach his potential more than he did as a pro football player.
Well said, Blitz.

I'll just quote the last part, but the post sums up the Casey story pretty well, IMO.

He was a lightning rod. I liked him. His persona, easy enough to take him as a prima donna, did not bother me. He was always friendly to me, and anyone with me. He played some great football for us.

I wish him well on his journeys.

Best of luck, Casey. :beer:
Area51
All Star

The_Pauser wrote:
Wouldn't it be something if he won the 2011 Grey Cup at BC Place Stadium as the starting quarterback for the Toronto Argonauts?

Ha, that would be too funny. Seriously though, I think Toronto would be a great fit for Printers. Imagine that, Ricky & Casey - - the two lightening rods of hate from every disgruntled Lions fan upset that their team is going down the toilet under the current regime.

Toronto has a very good OLine, and it would be Casey's first opportunity to play behind competent blockers. Plus, in Toronto he'd finally have a coach who understands how to design & run an offence. Not to mention the league's best RB beside him in the backfield.

Printers is only 29 and there's no doubt he's more talented than some of the starting QBs in the CFL. Unfortunately, his reputation might hurt his chances at getting signed by anyone.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I think there were many of us who not only loved Printers talent but also the enthusiasm and excitement he brought to the Leos. However, Printers has always been an out there kind of guy and with that comes attention and controversy. Wally played more than his part in fanning that controversy and Printers also could be his own worst enemy on occasion. Printers had his detractors, including the old press in Vancouver, who loved Dickenson and never forgave the old quarterback controversy. In the end Printers made the kind of mistake he couldn't afford to make, especially with Wally and Company wanting blood and to set an example. Printers, by losing his cool, also did not set the example he should have. Neither did others in Winnipeg but Printers was on a shorter rope.

No he didn't. And that is his problem. The two things he lacked got him fired.....integrity and selfishness. He was a me-first guy when he was here before; success go to him and he figured himself to be above everyone else; including Wally. I never thought much of him when he was he before but I thought falling down the ladder a few rungs would have humbled him a bit and when he came back here I gave him my full support.

But a leopard cannot change his spots and it turned out it was just a matter of time before the old me first Casey reared its ugly head. He is pouty whiny little child and deserves everything he gets.

The silence you hear rom the players is defining and telling. I would bet my mortgage that the Lions dressing room is a much happier place today. Young Lulay looks like a leader, someone who would have his player's backs. Can you really say that about Printers? No way.

Good riddance. Oh and Casey....I'll have fries with that please.
Tighthead
Legend

I think this is probably a washout point for CP.

I hope he finds success and satisfaction wherever he goes. Some of his wounds were self inflicted, but he played hard on the field and he played hurt.

I won't make cracks about a guy working in fast food. Most of us have had some tough periods or career setbacks at some point in our life, and didn't need people laughing at us to remind us of those circumstances. All work has dignity, and I won't make cracks about somebody flipping burgers or serving fries. I have always thought that makes the person making the comment look small, not the person flipping the burgers.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

:whs: Ditto

Think about some of these statements next time you go to get a burger. Take a good look at the person behind the counter. They work very hard, get paid very little and deserve better respect than this. In fact , I'm now embarrassed that I voted in this poll in the first place. If this were a game, we would be getting a flag for piling on.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rodu
Champion

I don't think we'll see him in the CFL again
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Think about some of these statements next time you go to get a burger. Take a good look at the person behind the counter. They work very hard, get paid very little and deserve better respect than this.

LOL, now substitute the guy flipping the burger for your avatar....it seems burger flippers don't get the same love as officials????????

Just sayin, but lets cut out the do-gooder mentality

For the record, I voted for Pro's V Joes
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am disappointed at how things worked out for CP. His play on the field was not really all that poor but I expected better behaviour off the field. After writing a book and doing motivational speaking I expected more control of his emotions and more maturity and leadership on a young team.
He is a smart guy and will do ok in the future, but I think his football career is over. Its too bad but he was not a good fit with the Chaps offence, of course neither was Rick Ray, JJ, Lulay or Champion.
zark
Champion

From the Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... y-printers
I wasn't sure which Casey thread to put this into. I thought of starting another one, but I shuddered at the thought.
Argonauts not interested in Casey Printers

Chris Zelkovich Sports Reporter

Don’t expect to see Casey Printers in double blue.

Argonauts head coach Jim Barker said Wednesday that the team has no interest in signing the former CFL most outstanding player after he was released by the B.C. Lions earlier in the day.

“We’re happy with the quarterbacks we have on the roster,” Barker said.

While none of the Argo quarterbacks has any CFL experience prior to this season, bringing in Printers at this stage would be a major gamble.

With only four games left on the schedule and a battle for second place coming up Friday, a new quarterback would likely need at least a couple of works to work into the Argos system.

Besides, there’s no indication that Printers would be an improvement. Despite a promising performance after his return to the CFL late last season, Printers has shown little.

His 81.4 efficiency rating is second lowest among CFL starters — only Argo Cleo Lemon’s 79.0 is worse — and he lost his job after a series of disastrous fumbles.

He may have sealed his fate on Thanksgiving Day in Winnipeg, blowing a 32-11 lead in relief of Travis Lulay before publicly berating his own receiver after a game-ending interception.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote::whs: Ditto

Think about some of these statements next time you go to get a burger. Take a good look at the person behind the counter. They work very hard, get paid very little and deserve better respect than this. In fact , I'm now embarrassed that I voted in this poll in the first place. If this were a game, we would be getting a flag for piling on.
And "piling on" to your thoughts, in a lot of cases there's a lot more to it than just flipping burgers. There's food safety, WHMIS knowledge, time management, cash management, food and labour cost projections, and inventory. And before you condescend to that person, remember that they ARE handling your food, and have been trained how to do it safely. Be a little grateful. ;)
Real women wear orange!!