Outdoor Attendance a Concern?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Maybe if it were a 9 game season. Still lots of time to get the ship on course.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well the Lions will have solved one problem with their team as it is now. Demand for tickets won't outstrip the stadium's capacity for holding the crowd.

The outdoor thing and return to Empire sounds all fine and dandy but for many of us who go to games part of the attraction to BC Place is the ability to get a meal or drink post game (or before) and the sounds and colour of the game as you approach BC Place. That is why they put it downtown. It makes it an event. Parking is not a problem and Skytrain works.

They probably would like more demand than seating for next year but the problems the team is facing on the field look like it is not their year. The offensive side is a huge problem that only a top QB can surmount. One that is healthy.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm from the Island so a trip over to Vancouver is a $400 to $500 weekend, but in the past I have still been able to take in one or two games per season. This year I won't be able to stay in a hotel and walk to the stadium--add $30 for parking, and I won't be able to get upper deck tickets between the 35 yard lines. So I will take in zero games this year.

This year there is lots of talk about Empire Stadium nostalgia and the Lions seem to be taking it to heart. Other than 1963 and 1964, how many winning seasons did the Lions actually have at Empire?

Offence sells tickets and the last time I actually enjoyed watching the Lions play offence was when they had Joe Smith and Chapdelaine was coaching in Edmonton.
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I'm from the Island so a trip over to Vancouver is a $400 to $500 weekend, but in the past I have still been able to take in one or two games per season. This year I won't be able to stay in a hotel and walk to the stadium--add $30 for parking, and I won't be able to get upper deck tickets between the 35 yard lines. So I will take in zero games this year.
FWIW, you don't have to pay $30 to park for Lions games. It seems to be a popular misconception, but there are other options for the football fan than parking 50 meters away from the entrance. Also, you can still stay downtown. You can take the #10 bus from West Hastings. It takes approximately 15-20 minutes depending on your stop. There's even shuttle buses from a couple of downtown bars. Or if being close to the stadium is important, there are hotels close to the PNE.

Now, if you don't want to go, then I can't help you there. But it's not like they are playing in Surrey. They're just 3 miles up the road.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Spud387
Champion

David wrote:
DanoT wrote:I'm from the Island so a trip over to Vancouver is a $400 to $500 weekend, but in the past I have still been able to take in one or two games per season. This year I won't be able to stay in a hotel and walk to the stadium--add $30 for parking, and I won't be able to get upper deck tickets between the 35 yard lines. So I will take in zero games this year.
FWIW, you don't have to pay $30 to park for Lions games. It seems to be a popular misconception, but there are other options for the football fan than parking 50 meters away from the entrance. Also, you can still stay downtown. You can take the #10 bus from West Hastings. It takes approximately 15-20 minutes depending on your stop. There's even shuttle buses from a couple of downtown bars. Or if being close to the stadium is important, there are hotels close to the PNE.

Now, if you don't want to go, then I can't help you there. But it's not like they are playing in Surrey. They're just 3 miles up the road.

DH
This city is lazy and loves excuses. The Lions definitely benefit at the box office when they are downtown strictly because of convenience. With this city we'll likely have to accept a mediocre attendance until the honeymoon at the new BC Place

P.S. I am not singling a person out (especially anyone form the island) I was more so making a general comment about fans in this city.
Last edited by Spud387 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

To be fair, Dano T lives on the Island and it's neither cheap nor convenient to come over for a Lions game, so I would cut him some slack.

I would respectfully submit though, that if you like the Lions and you normally come for 1-2 games, you're not going to be inconvenienced significantly more nor are you going to face huge price barriers than if they were still playing at BC Place (like me, you may even prefer it). Again, that's IF you want to go. If you're not coming because they're losing, then that's an entirely separate issue.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Any games we come over for will be afternoon games-it's so nice having the luxury of going back the same day, and we didn't pay anything to park ;) The only cost prohibitive thing is the ferry, but for us poor colonists who "chose to live this way", it's a fact of life. :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well my future in marketing is over. I thought the Lions would have ZERO problems selling out every game at least until the weather got wet. I thought scalpers would make a MINT selling nosebleeders to rabid Roughrider fans. I've enjoyed the 'Empire Experience' other than the outcome of the football games, so far. Yes, BC Place is easier for me to get to. But, I'm glad I know what watching a BC Lions game outdoors is like and even better at the Empire site. I am really looking forward to the August 27 Stampeder game. I'm spending all day at the PNE (free admission with a Lions ticket) before watching the Lions take on Calgary.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

People heading to BC Place have established routines and more travel options than to the PNE for many. They are used to it. Car - then Skytrain.

That is why they built it downtown in the first place unlike many US cities where you head out of the town in the car. BC Place and the area around it on game day - atmosphere and on the way to a game and back the DT area has life.

The hard core fans aren't strong enough in numbers to support the Lions even at Empire. I used to buy two seasons tickets and go by myself to BC Place most of the time to enjoy the games with 17, 19000 others who were the hard core in the Adam Rita era. It was a hard sell to give my ticket away for absolutely nothing - not even the price of a beer as I don't drink beer and I also had free parking so the other person had no reason to say no. But the hard core fans made those games interesting.

The Lions slant on the Empire thing does not seem based on researching actual consumer behavior not to mention how will they get them back to BC Place if they actually love Empire.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ravi
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:If the 27,000 seats were on the sidelines, I don't think the Lions would have any trouble selling out. But the only seats available are in the corners and endzones...one or two, here and there. I know fans who aren't going to Empire because they can't get 2 or 3 good seats together, except down low in the corners or in the endzone.
That means that the Lions shouldn't draw any less than 23k for any game this season, right?
the-real-hugo
Rookie

JohnHenry wrote:If the 27,000 seats were on the sidelines, I don't think the Lions would have any trouble selling out. But the only seats available are in the corners and endzones...one or two, here and there. I know fans who aren't going to Empire because they can't get 2 or 3 good seats together, except down low in the corners or in the endzone.
Still great seats - they really don't know what they're missing. Empire is a great experience no matter where you're sitting.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be interesting to see how many are going in the rain that is expected.
Kamloops Lion
All Star

I bought tickets to two games — the travesty that was the home opener against Saskatchewan and Sept. 11 against Toronto. While the Rider game was a bomb on the field, the experience was fantastic as I brought my nine-year-old son to the game and the atmosphere reminded me of my first time walking into Empire in 1977, when I was nine. We drove (and will drive) down from Kamloops and parking is a snap. We can spend $15 to $30 (which is still cheaper than or on par with downtown parkades); however, for the Rider game, we stopped on Commercial with friends, had a bite to eat, then found a FREE parking spot on the north side of Hatings, about seven blocks from Renrew. Simple as hell and the walk is electric. Nothing wrong with Empire Field that a decent team (with an O line and a competent OC) could not fix.
It says here the Leos begin a minimum two-game winning streak, beginning on Aug. 7.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

According to tonights Province TV Guide tonights Stampeder/Lions game is being held at BC Place Stadium!!! :dizzy:

I've caught the recent news stories showing the progress of the new roof. Sounds like Lions fans will have at least a few games to take in some more games at Tempire in 2011. I just want my old seats back once we do return to BC Place. Apparently the CEO of Pavco says this renovation will give extend the viability of BC Place 40 years. We'll see.