Dorazio?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Sorry Toppy but IMO an OC that is not in control of his receivers coach is a weak OC. You aren't co ordinating if a subordinate coach is dictating the Offence.
I agree and the assumptions made seem highly disrespectful of Dorazio too . When in todays Province it said that no consideration is given to suggestions made on chatrooms , I get the feeling they are refering to Lionbackers and by that statement a bit of their opinion of what is said here is revealed . Sort of a " well why aren't you coaching then? " statement .
I didn't see that comment about chat rooms but some of the posts here are not dissimilar to Lowell's comments in The Province. Did you not think last week's play calling seemed to be along the lines of what posters here have said? Even what Wally has been saying to the media sounds like they read these boards.

I don't disagree that the O coaching structure is odd. The laptop being stolen with just one coach with the info on players and game plans confirms me.
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
pennw wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Sorry Toppy but IMO an OC that is not in control of his receivers coach is a weak OC. You aren't co ordinating if a subordinate coach is dictating the Offence.
I agree and the assumptions made seem highly disrespectful of Dorazio too . When in todays Province it said that no consideration is given to suggestions made on chatrooms , I get the feeling they are refering to Lionbackers and by that statement a bit of their opinion of what is said here is revealed . Sort of a " well why aren't you coaching then? " statement .
I didn't see that comment about chat rooms but some of the posts here are not dissimilar to Lowell's comments in The Province. Did you not think last week's play calling seemed to be along the lines of what posters here have said? Even what Wally has been saying to the media sounds like they read these boards.

I don't disagree that the O coaching structure is odd. The laptop being stolen with just one coach with the info on players and game plans confirms me.

I didn't say that they don't read what we post , they may or may not . We know that atleast some of the team members do . But much of what is assumed by many (regarding the offensive coaching structure) here , I can see as being taken by them as disrespectful of certain coaches , especially Dorazio . The way he's continually disregarded as O-C and Chap is called the O-C , he's made out to be nothing more then a paper tiger -a nobody who gets pushed around by his "subordinate" . If it's really true that is happening behind the scenes , then we got a dysfunctional coaching staff and an entire house cleaning is needed . The fact is it's only speculation here that such is the case , based mainly on hear-say of what other " in the know posters " say .
To the Leos' coaching staff , I would think they could very well be looking at what is posted by those in "the know" as why don't they prove themselves by being pro coaches instead of the arm chair variety . And until such a time , they( leos coaches) will continue to look after the team as they know best and no , they will not look to us "experts" here on how to fix the team . It's fine for us to speculate here , but that's what it is , speculation only , we don't really know what is happening behind the scenes because none of us are there .
I think some of the very limited responses we have gotten are somewhat revealing , the comment in the Province , the very few from #82 and #60 . It sounds like some other teams fan boards get more interaction then we do from players .
notahomer
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote: ... It sounds like some other teams fan boards get more interaction then we do from players .
I concur with your entire post & wanted to focus on the last sentence of it. I read LU's blog (the fifth quarter) and yesterday's talked some about these types of things. According to LU (not too surprising conclusion, IMO) covering the Lions is different when they are winning as oppossed to this season. I don't have a clue if other teams fan boards get more player interaction but maybe Lion-interaction will increase when we get to spend more time raving about how well they played after a great win.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

notahomer wrote:
pennw wrote: ... It sounds like some other teams fan boards get more interaction then we do from players .
I concur with your entire post & wanted to focus on the last sentence of it. I read LU's blog (the fifth quarter) and yesterday's talked some about these types of things. According to LU (not too surprising conclusion, IMO) covering the Lions is different when they are winning as oppossed to this season. I don't have a clue if other teams fan boards get more player interaction but maybe Lion-interaction will increase when we get to spend more time raving about how well they played after a great win.
Its just unfortunate that we have had but one "great" win. the others seem to have been more from the other teams lack of proficiancy than the lions play. Of course that one great win was against the most pathetic team in the league.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote: Its just unfortunate that we have had but one "great" win. the others seem to have been more from the other teams lack of proficiancy than the lions play. Of course that one great win was against the most pathetic team in the league.
Couldn't agree more! I'm sick of hearing 'we ready to turn the corner'. Get it done!
LFITQ
Team Captain

It is kind of funny how we have Jimenez, Murphy, Glatt and others commenting on the "negativity" by the fans (which Jimenez has recently bashed on this very board) on Lionbackers.com (you know the diehard fans that love the team so much they talk about about it morning, noon and night; discuss which jersey to buy; where to get tickets; many of whom have been season ticket holders for years; complaining about unknowledgeable fans who make noise while we are on offense; promote the latest Lions swag being sold in which stores; recommending which Lions partner establishments to grab a bite at before the game; making wallpapers of various players in all their glory; promoting the game itself; the place where out of town (including international) fans come to get info on the team; where we promote and discuss individual player websites (and even contribute to them, right woody?); and just in general loving the team so much we need to discuss the good the bad and the ugly and all hoping it gets turned around), but we haven't seen much in the way of play from some of the "stars" to force the discussion to turn in a different direction?

Want to shut the "negativity" up on Lionbackers.com? That's really simple. Don't give the masses anything negative to discuss. I'm sure Wally would agree. You don't want people to say or write negative things, then play smart football like they have the past few years and their won't be anything bad to write about. We know the players have the ability. We've seen it. We know they know what to do, they've proven it before. Heck we have praised it before - numerous times. We've even seen flashes of it during games and have pointed it out. I'm pretty sure Wally will even tell them to concentrate less on what the FANS say on Lionbackers.com and more on what they are supposed to be doing.

But for big tough football players who are in the public spotlight and in the sports entertainment business, they sure seem to have thin skins of late. Don't like public criticism, don't get a job that puts you in the public limelight. Heaven forbid any of them go into politics.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

LFITQ wrote:It is kind of funny how we have Jimenez, Murphy, Glatt and others commenting on the "negativity" by the fans (which Jimenez has recently bashed on this very board) on Lionbackers.com (you know the diehard fans that love the team so much they talk about about it morning, noon and night; discuss which jersey to buy; where to get tickets; many of whom have been season ticket holders for years; complaining about unknowledgeable fans who make noise while we are on offense; promote the latest Lions swag being sold in which stores; recommending which Lions partner establishments to grab a bite at before the game; making wallpapers of various players in all their glory; promoting the game itself; the place where out of town (including international) fans come to get info on the team; where we promote and discuss individual player websites (and even contribute to them, right woody?); and just in general loving the team so much we need to discuss the good the bad and the ugly and all hoping it gets turned around), but we haven't seen much in the way of play from some of the "stars" to force the discussion to turn in a different direction?

Want to shut the "negativity" up on Lionbackers.com? That's really simple. Don't give the masses anything negative to discuss. I'm sure Wally would agree. You don't want people to say or write negative things, then play smart football like they have the past few years and their won't be anything bad to write about. We know the players have the ability. We've seen it. We know they know what to do, they've proven it before. Heck we have praised it before - numerous times. We've even seen flashes of it during games and have pointed it out. I'm pretty sure Wally will even tell them to concentrate less on what the FANS say on Lionbackers.com and more on what they are supposed to be doing.

But for big tough football players who are in the public spotlight and in the sports entertainment business, they sure seem to have thin skins of late. Don't like public criticism, don't get a job that puts you in the public limelight. Heaven forbid any of them go into politics.
ouch, great post. i would have highlighted the whole thing and put it in bold.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Great post, LFITQ, says it succinctly and precisely.

We should ensure that our criticisms are measured, and accurate, but as the people who pay the bills by buying tickets and merchandise, we are entitled to our opinions on the state of the team and the franchise. This type of critique has been happening all through the history of the team, it's just that in 1955, 4 people were beeotching at the barber shop, and now it's the Internet with access available to anyone.

Want to solve the problem? Practice hard, and just win, baby. That makes all of us STFU instantly.

Well ...almost all. 8)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I actually thought that Jimenez and Murphy in the papers weren't critical of the fans - just some reference by Javier Glatt suggested that he didn't like a comment in the papers. Like Lowell Ullrich said, I felt these two tackles took it like pros unless one of them turns out be the guy on the blog slagging Lionbackers for a day's worth of postings and I completely doubt that either of them are cowards.

Two of my posts were questioned/commented upon by Jason Jimenez but I felt quite good about it and only jokingly was saying stuff about not wanting him to know who I am. I liked the fact that he took the time to post here.

I do think at times criticism can be over the top but for the most part this board is pretty good despite some of the off the wall ideas like the return or Printers.

Like LFITQ feel I have as much right to question and post as any here including new fans. I have been going to games since 1955 - not every game but I have followed this team through good and lousy years. In the old days, you might just comment to your friends but now you can do it on a board. What I have never ever done is said anything bad to cause someone not to go games - quite the opposite. I have always - even during the lean years when 17000 fans were there and me as well - spoke to other potential fans about how good the games are and how noisy it was as the die hards there knew the game and would make it just as noisy for opponents as the number of fans do now.

We can all forget how hard the assistants work and they do work hours that are unconscionable in the extreme.

However, those too close to the team can forget that without us paying fans and the ads and sponsors then they aren't working in football. The CFL has done a much better job at marketing their team but they have a long, long ways to go to reach anywhere near the levels of English Premier League teams. I can see as many EPL jerseys in Hong Kong as you will see anywhere in the world except possibly in England. NBA played in Macau near HK last year. The EPL teams in the off season play here- Italian teams too, in China and other Asian countries as they are marketing their wares. Chinese TV reduced the number of free EPL games last year. The customers went beserk. They actually had to run ads throughout China using Arsenal's Manager, Arsene Wenger, to tell the Chinese fans that even in the UK they don't get these games free. If you look at the story the other day on Arsenal in the Times Online, check out where the comments on the team come from - Africa - quite a few posts, China- several posters, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Malta, New Zealand, Bahrain, Ireland and oh yes, some of the 36 comments come from England. However, their local fans are all on local fan boards back in London.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 608485.ece
pennw
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: Two of my posts were questioned/commented upon by Jason Jimenez but I felt quite good about it and only jokingly was saying stuff about not wanting him to know who I am. I liked the fact that he took the time to post here.

I didn't see any negativety in Jasons posts here either , certainly not bashing us fans . If anything , he handled himself with dignity and class on here IMO. I hope tp see his continued particapation with us .
No Ka Oi
Starter

LFITQ wrote:
It is kind of funny how we have Jimenez, Murphy, Glatt and others commenting on the "negativity" by the fans...
I doubt these players were criticizing the fans, but perhaps the media coverage?
LFITQ
Team Captain

No Ka Oi wrote:LFITQ wrote:
It is kind of funny how we have Jimenez, Murphy, Glatt and others commenting on the "negativity" by the fans...
I doubt these players were criticizing the fans, but perhaps the media coverage?
For the record I will ask you to train your eyes on this thread:

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... 10&t=15801

And the direct quote from Jimenez:
Jason Jiménez wrote:The Lionbackers that were there today in Surrey are not the same group of Lionbackers that partake in the online community here. One group is highly supportive (the Surrey group), and the majority of the others are fair weather fans that like to talk crazy and criticize the Leos at any given moment (the online group). These are clearly two distinct groups of 'Lionbackers.'
Murphy and Glatt have said similar things about fans on online forums in recent articles in the fishwrap.

And as a fan that has supported the black and orange (even brown and orange during the 80's - betcha Jason Jimenez didn't know about that colour change) since before Mr. Jimenez was even born and will continue to support the Lions long after Mr. Jimenez is gone, I take quite serious exception to his insinuations on here.

I cheered for the Lions before he even knew that the Lions existed. I was there (and even sitting in McMahon stadium in my Lions gear) during our 3-15 season. Was he cheering for them then? Players come and go yet the Fans tend to remain. At least those that consider themselves Fans. I have spent a pretty penny on paraphernalia for this team over the years as well as ticket purchases. And I suspect I will continue to do so. I won't even count the amount of $ I have spent on Lions partners and indirect costs with me getting to a game - all so I can cheer on the team I have loved since I knew what football was. Heck my father talks of bringing me home from the hospital and that day I was propped up watching the Lions play.

As I sit here in my Waterboys jacket with my [wife's] Javier Glatt jersey behind me, getting ready for the big game tonight, I take extreme exception to these type of comments to the point where it leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

But I guess all these years and all these dollars spent to help support the team has only been because I am "fair-weathered fan". :sigh:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

"But I guess all these years and all these dollars spent to help support the team has only been because I am "fair-weathered fan".

Not to worry. We ar ALL fair weather fans, that's why we have a dome!

8)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The comments and criticisms of fans on this board are not much different than those on other CFL, NFL or pro sports boards, nor are they much different than those made by fans on radio talk shows, at the office water cooler, the local coffee shop or the neighbourhood pub. Often, fans overreact and criticize players and coaches unfairly. That goes with the territory, and isn't unique to Internet message boards. The fans bleed team colours, they seek information wherever they can find it and they love to talk about the team and any of its perceived faults. It's great that players can read these boards and see what the fans are saying, and it's even better that the players can respond and give us their perspective. I wish they would post more often. Most of us don't know what goes on in the locker room or the film room. I value any insight that players can offer.

I love the Lions and have the greatest respect for every player on the roster. I've followed the team for 45 years and got my first season tickets in 1967. I wear my colours proudly and cheer passionately at every game. Most of us wouldn't be posting on this board if we didn't feel the same way.