Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Another rumour on 3D's "Insider Talk" says BC wants to go NAT at tailback and there looks like there are some good FA options to make that happen. All 3 of Winnipeg's NAT tailbacks are pending FAs with Kyle Walters already indicating it's unlikely they can retain them all. Hamilton's Thomas-Erlington is also likely to be available to pursue a starting role given they just extended Don Jackson. BC already has Lyles to provide depth. If he's recovered fully from last year's car accident I would like to see them get Wayne Moore back in the fold for TB depth as well as his stellar special teams play. As much as I love Harris I'd rather see them look at Oliviera and Thomas-Erlington for a starting TB.

If that 3D rumour has credence the Lions ratio picture is now becoming clearer. Move Rhymes into Shaq J's spot to give them Rhymes and Whitehead on the wide spots with Cottoy, Burnham and Lawler (if they get him) at the 3 slots. With 2 LBs, Cottoy, Rourke and a NAT TB they would be able to go to 3 American OL and 2 Nats to meet minimum ratio requirements.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm thrilled with the Cottoy signing. With or without free-agent acquisitions, the Lions have the best receiving corps in the league IMO. I can't understand the rationale for offering $250,000 to Lawler, who is on par with Whitehead and Burnham but not better. I'd rather spend that money to bolster the DL. It's clear, though, that the Lions have many options for adjusting the ratio at receiver and OL, and that's a good place to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 am
I'm thrilled with the Cottoy signing. With or without free-agent acquisitions, the Lions have the best receiving corps in the league IMO. I can't understand the rationale for offering $250,000 to Lawler, who is on par with Whitehead and Burnham but not better. I'd rather spend that money to bolster the DL. It's clear, though, that the Lions have many options for adjusting the ratio at receiver and OL, and that's a good place to be.
I don't get the $250K either but also don't take Dunk's word as being reliable so who knows. I think there is a difference between Lawler and Burnham though. Neither are burners but Lawler is 4 years younger. Burnham has plateaued and at the tail end of his prime. Lawler is just entering his prime and may still have some more untapped upside. That's the only justification I can come up with.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic news on Cottoy!! Also love the fact it was a 2 year deal. It’s been a very good off-season for Campbell/McEvoy GM tandem.
Guess it doesn’t hurt having your big ticket QB retire and replaced by a $90,000 per year youngster.
The fact all our key pending free agents want to be here and not even test free agency says something.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how our ratio breaks down with some these rumours. Starting national RB, is Purifoy coming? What about Menard? and of course Lawler.

Maybe they have front loaded a multi-year deal with Lawler that would also disrupt the Bombers’ successful trend of locking up their key FAs on 1-year deals.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:33 pm
The fact all our key pending free agents want to be here and not even test free agency says something.
Great point, SammyGreene. It's not always the case in back-to-back 5-win seasons. It says something about the culture here.

Like many of you, I don't entirely see the merits of investing all of that money in Lawler. Unless they plan on getting one more productive season out of Burnham and this is really an insurance policy for when that day comes (when Bryan and the club part ways)?

My issue is that we have an arsenal of weapons but only one ball to go around. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Keon Hatcher is on the 2nd year of a rookie deal, isn't he? He did not look out of place when he got on the field and imo, should get a starting spot. And what about Dominique Rhymes, is he under contract?

Lions don't need Lawler.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm happily joining in on the gleeful chorus re Cottoy's signing--and a 2-year deal to boot! Delighted! He's something else, physically! Pretty special. And a former Langley Ram! Loving the local aspect, albeit by way of the island of St. Vincent! Yippee and wahoo indeed! I didn't expect this--thought him gone to the NFL. So, yeah, that 2 years is wonderful. Agreed, regardless of whether there's substance to the Lawler offer rumour, we already have a top-flight squadron of receivers. Rourke and whoever is his QB mate will be smiling. Smiling IF they do something with the OL such as at least soon sign Hunter Steward and Ryker Mathews, and add whoever else might be needed to keep the QBs from running for their lives or seeing those fleet receivers running free but watching if all from under a pile, in a sack!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:57 pm
Keon Hatcher is on the 2nd year of a rookie deal, isn't he? He did not look out of place when he got on the field and imo, should get a starting spot. And what about Dominique Rhymes, is he under contract?

Lions don't need Lawler.
Rhymes was the first veteran starter to re-sign, followed by Whitehead, Burnham and Cottoy. Hatcher is still under contract. Nationals Jacob Scarfone and Marcus Davis re-signed in December. De'Anthony Thomas has a chance to be a kick returner and rotational WR. Altogether, the Lions have 14 WRs under contract for 2022, not counting pending FAs Shaq Johnson and DeVier Posey.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

FWIW, I just happened to notice yesterday when I perused the Lions roster that DeVier Posey is no longer listed. I 'm certain it was there till fairly recently. (No indication of a change on the Lions' official "transactions" page however.) Moot point I suppose. Can't see that there's much room for more import WR's, given what we already have in the den.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:26 pm
DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:57 pm

Lions don't need Lawler.
Rhymes was the first veteran starter to re-sign, followed by Whitehead, Burnham and Cottoy. Hatcher is still under contract. Nationals Jacob Scarfone and Marcus Davis re-signed in December. De'Anthony Thomas has a chance to be a kick returner and rotational WR. Altogether, the Lions have 14 WRs under contract for 2022, not counting pending FAs Shaq Johnson and DeVier Posey.
Not sure what the deal is with Posey. He shows as a pending FA but is not listed on the roster. Same story with JaMarcus Way; pending FA but not.on the roster. 14 WR going into training camp is actually a fairly normal number. Expect more additions and deletions between now and then.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:19 pm
FWIW, I just happened to notice yesterday when I perused the Lions roster that DeVier Posey is no longer listed. I 'm certain it was there till fairly recently. (No indication of a change on the Lions' official "transactions" page however.) Moot point I suppose. Can't see that there's much room for more import WR's, given what we already have in the den.
You beat me to the punch Ernie. Posey's name hasn't been there for at least a month. Last CFL.ca transaction shows him moving to the suspended list Nov 15th but he's not listed there either.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:58 pm
Rourke and whoever is his QB mate will be smiling. Smiling IF they do something with the OL such as at least soon sign Hunter Steward and Ryker Mathews, and add whoever else might be needed to keep the QBs from running for their lives or seeing those fleet receivers running free but watching if all from under a pile, in a sack!
I was going to type the same words. You could have Rourke spelling off with Mahomes all game, but if all they see is turf in their facemask and no wide open speedy receivers, we will all get frustrated very soon.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just editing my own post of the now shorter list of pending FA OL:

I still say there just isn't the talent available in free agency for BC to upgrade their OL other than at the center position. Tackle is especially lean.

Numbers at end are age, 2021 GP and starts in brackets:

BCL MATHEWS, Ryker A T Brigham Young 29 1(1)
CGY KASITATI, Nila A T Oklahoma 28 7(7) Right tackle
EDM RENFROW, Justin A T Miami 32 8(7) One time Liom
MTL GIRARD, Mathieu* N G Montreal 30 4(0) Montreal kid.
OTT CATALINA, Tyler A T Georgia 28 6(6) 2021 rookie RT
OTT FONTANA, Alex* N G Kansas 29 0(0) Didn't play in 2021.Personal
OTT MACMILLAN, Nolan* N G Iowa 31 7(7) Right guard. Ottawa kid. Always injured for at least 4 games per year.
SSK BOYKO, Brett* N T UNLV 29 8(8)
SSK COFIELD, Takoby A T Duke 30 0(0) Suspended list in 2021
SSK JEFFERSON, Cameron A T Arkansas 29 9(9) May have retired.
TOR SPELLER, Cody* N C/G McMaster 27 0(0) Suspended list in 2021
WPG ELI, Tavita* N G Hawaii 26 14(4) Missed GC due to no vax.

Edited to remove Couture, O'Donnell, Gibbon, Okafor, Godber and Schleuger. Also removed Washington. I wasn't aware he had signed in Edmonton after the trade.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good read here from JJ Adams on Lions free agent strategy. Sure sounds like they will go 3 Americans on the offensive line.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... 1643847750

During Matt Baker’s interview with Rourke at the practice facility this week I did see Hunter Steward among the players working out although he is technically still a Lion until Tuesday.
David
Team Captain

Looks like Hunter Steward is headed to the nation's capital.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar