Lions part ways with Casey Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

Since my previous post I have read the last several pages of this thread and some others, make no mistake the mods and I am watching everyone but I'm not going to go and punish someone for something they said last week or last month that wouldn't be fair and frankly would waste a lot of my time. A clear message was sent with the "Now hear this" thread and we are moving forward from that point.

FYI your not the only 1 who has got warnings there are a few others including someone I consider a good friend. I am trying to be as fair and impartial as I can.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
pennw
Legend

Fair enough and I appreciate what you have to sort through . Good you read it all , as you can see Toppy is no innocent in any of the stuff he's involved in .
And I agree with you lets all pull together for the team , that includes ALL members of the team .
D
Team Captain

pennw wrote: And I agree with you lets all pull together for the team , that includes ALL members of the team .
That's the spirit ... now let's go kick some gopher a$$ :roar:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Blitz
Team Captain

Public comments Regarding Casey Printers

CASEY AND THE LOCKER ROOM TO BEGIN THIS SEASON

When he came here last year, he worked hard and won the locker room, and not only excited the players in the locker room but everyone in the organization and the fans,” says Buono. “He wants to lead this team. It’s the number-one position on any football team, and we feel right now we’re in excellent hands. Casey is in the prime of his growth and development as a quarterback.”You talk about offence, you talk about excitement, you talk about a guy who raises everybody else up, and the guy that did that for us last year was Casey Printers. I think he excited not only the players in the locker-room, but everybody in the organization and our fans. It was something we needed." -- Coach Wally Buono (Ron Sudlow, Canadian Press, June 20th, 2010)

BUONO ON PRINTERS RELEASE

"I'm disappointed for Casey because I felt genuinely that it could work," Buono said Wednesday.The coach indicated Printers, the highest-paid player on the Lions, took his release with surprise and disappointment."Casey's human like you and I," Buono said. "If I were fired today, I would be surprised. I would be disappointed because you worked hard to get to this point … to be disappointed, to be heartbroken would be understating it." (Calgary Herald, Oct. 14)

ON BUONO BEING IN THE LOCKER ROOM (HE WASN'T)

It was Printers’ singular act of over-the-top frustration – one that Buono did not witness firsthand or was even aware of Tuesday morning when questioned by reporters -- that ended his second-go round in B.C. "The locker-room is a very, very, very volatile place," Buono maintains. "Unfortunately, what occurs, does have a trickle-down effect. You might not get along with everyone at your office. Not everybody in our locker-room loves me or loves each other. But we tolerate each other because we all have a job to do." (Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun)

O'NEIL WILSON'S COMMENTS

Despite being on the receiving end of Printers' rant, Wilson defended him after hearing the quarterback had been released."Me, personally, I didn't lose confidence in him," said Wilson. "He's a great athlete and he knows what he's doing out there. It just goes like that sometimes."I was really surprised, just like the rest of our teammates. It's an emotional game, it's going to happen. Unfortunately it happened in public."

The strange thing is that Printers and Wilson -- the Canadian wide receiver dressed down by Printers after he threw a game-ending interception against the Blue Bombers – were and are close.“Casey’s a tremendous athlete,” Wilson says. “He knows his duty and his job. I was really surprised by his release, just like the rest of our teammates. When I saw him drive off this morning, I thought he was just going for breakfast

”“Casey’s reaction is probably not the way you should react after a loss like that,” Wilson agrees.“But I understand. We’re family. And we’re already over it. Casey is not just a co-worker to me. He’s a friend. We message each other throughout the offseason. If I’m going out in off-football hours, I’m calling him. ‘Let’s go, man.’ It’s not just a teammate I’m losing, I’m losing a friend.” (Vancouver Sun, Canadian Press)

GEROY SIMON ON PRINTERS

Simon, of course, lobbied hard for Printers to return last year when Buck Pierce went down, maybe even sooner. He had a chemistry with the quarterback before and hoped it would happen again. But it wasn't even that relationship which drew intrigue, because Simon began his day not with the news he had just lost his former starting pivot but learned there's a strong chance he'll wind up facing one of the receivers the Lions counted on at the start of the year.

"I was surprised but these things happen," Simon said when asked about both Printers and Armstrong. "It's been the type of season where guys come and go and we're really not sued to that. I was an advocate of Casey coming back, but in this business you got to expect anything." His facial expressions, if they count for anything, said something completely different. (Lowell Ullrich, Fifth Quarter, October 13)

JARIOUS JACKSON ON THE LOCKER ROOM 'INCIDENT'

“Casey said some things in the locker room that needed to be said” commented Jarious Jackson (Vancouver Province, Oct. 14)

TRAVIS LULAY ON PRINTERS

I don't think a ton has changed. It's so new. I wouldn't say the atmosphere is dramatically different without Casey". "I feel sad about what happened to Casey," Lulay admitted yesterday. "For me, I was personally disappointed to see him go out that way. It's a hard way to go out. But, for me, it was funny to see the media . . . I don't know, kind of act like jackals. They jumped on him. I thought there might have been a more reflective approach (Lulay Finds Sadness In Printers release, Mike Beamish,, Vancouver Sun)

Hopefully, some of these quotes will answer some of the questions that have been asked on this thread. Hopefully we can move on. We're in the playoffs and we have a great chance to beat Regina. The last 8-10 team that won the Grey Cup was our own Leos, under Steve Burratto. The playoffs are a brand new season.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:The last 8-10 team that won the Grey Cup was our own Leos, under Steve Burratto. The playoffs are a brand new season.
Actually that was the Stamps in 2001 — also under Buono at that time. You're referring to the previous season when the Lions won in 2000 with an 8-10 record. In fact they were the only two teams with losing records ever to win the Cup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Blitz wrote:The last 8-10 team that won the Grey Cup was our own Leos, under Steve Burratto. The playoffs are a brand new season.
Actually that was the Stamps in 2001 — also under Buono at that time. You're referring to the previous season when the Lions won in 2000 with an 8-10 record. In fact they were the only two teams with losing records ever to win the Cup.
Thanks sjroc....I thought it was the other way around......time flies!!!! :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
truth-hurts
Rookie

Blitz wrote:Public comments Regarding Casey Printers

CASEY AND THE LOCKER ROOM TO BEGIN THIS SEASON

When he came here last year, he worked hard and won the locker room, and not only excited the players in the locker room but everyone in the organization and the fans,” says Buono. “He wants to lead this team. It’s the number-one position on any football team, and we feel right now we’re in excellent hands. Casey is in the prime of his growth and development as a quarterback.”You talk about offence, you talk about excitement, you talk about a guy who raises everybody else up, and the guy that did that for us last year was Casey Printers. I think he excited not only the players in the locker-room, but everybody in the organization and our fans. It was something we needed." -- Coach Wally Buono (Ron Sudlow, Canadian Press, June 20th, 2010)

BUONO ON PRINTERS RELEASE

"I'm disappointed for Casey because I felt genuinely that it could work," Buono said Wednesday.The coach indicated Printers, the highest-paid player on the Lions, took his release with surprise and disappointment."Casey's human like you and I," Buono said. "If I were fired today, I would be surprised. I would be disappointed because you worked hard to get to this point … to be disappointed, to be heartbroken would be understating it." (Calgary Herald, Oct. 14)

ON BUONO BEING IN THE LOCKER ROOM (HE WASN'T)

It was Printers’ singular act of over-the-top frustration – one that Buono did not witness firsthand or was even aware of Tuesday morning when questioned by reporters -- that ended his second-go round in B.C. "The locker-room is a very, very, very volatile place," Buono maintains. "Unfortunately, what occurs, does have a trickle-down effect. You might not get along with everyone at your office. Not everybody in our locker-room loves me or loves each other. But we tolerate each other because we all have a job to do." (Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun)

O'NEIL WILSON'S COMMENTS

Despite being on the receiving end of Printers' rant, Wilson defended him after hearing the quarterback had been released."Me, personally, I didn't lose confidence in him," said Wilson. "He's a great athlete and he knows what he's doing out there. It just goes like that sometimes."I was really surprised, just like the rest of our teammates. It's an emotional game, it's going to happen. Unfortunately it happened in public."

The strange thing is that Printers and Wilson -- the Canadian wide receiver dressed down by Printers after he threw a game-ending interception against the Blue Bombers – were and are close.“Casey’s a tremendous athlete,” Wilson says. “He knows his duty and his job. I was really surprised by his release, just like the rest of our teammates. When I saw him drive off this morning, I thought he was just going for breakfast

”“Casey’s reaction is probably not the way you should react after a loss like that,” Wilson agrees.“But I understand. We’re family. And we’re already over it. Casey is not just a co-worker to me. He’s a friend. We message each other throughout the offseason. If I’m going out in off-football hours, I’m calling him. ‘Let’s go, man.’ It’s not just a teammate I’m losing, I’m losing a friend.” (Vancouver Sun, Canadian Press)

GEROY SIMON ON PRINTERS

Simon, of course, lobbied hard for Printers to return last year when Buck Pierce went down, maybe even sooner. He had a chemistry with the quarterback before and hoped it would happen again. But it wasn't even that relationship which drew intrigue, because Simon began his day not with the news he had just lost his former starting pivot but learned there's a strong chance he'll wind up facing one of the receivers the Lions counted on at the start of the year.

"I was surprised but these things happen," Simon said when asked about both Printers and Armstrong. "It's been the type of season where guys come and go and we're really not sued to that. I was an advocate of Casey coming back, but in this business you got to expect anything." His facial expressions, if they count for anything, said something completely different. (Lowell Ullrich, Fifth Quarter, October 13)

JARIOUS JACKSON ON THE LOCKER ROOM 'INCIDENT'

“Casey said some things in the locker room that needed to be said” commented Jarious Jackson (Vancouver Province, Oct. 14)

TRAVIS LULAY ON PRINTERS

I don't think a ton has changed. It's so new. I wouldn't say the atmosphere is dramatically different without Casey". "I feel sad about what happened to Casey," Lulay admitted yesterday. "For me, I was personally disappointed to see him go out that way. It's a hard way to go out. But, for me, it was funny to see the media . . . I don't know, kind of act like jackals. They jumped on him. I thought there might have been a more reflective approach (Lulay Finds Sadness In Printers release, Mike Beamish,, Vancouver Sun)

Hopefully, some of these quotes will answer some of the questions that have been asked on this thread. Hopefully we can move on. We're in the playoffs and we have a great chance to beat Regina. The last 8-10 team that won the Grey Cup was our own Leos, under Steve Burratto. The playoffs are a brand new season.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Just got to continue to point out that your quote about Jarious' comment is still inaccurate. I see that you posted the article which you say you found it in but when I looked it up there was no such article in which he said that. Feel free to forward me the actual article you say he said that comment in and if it shows that he actually said that then I would be the first to apologize to you and Toppy Vann and leave it alone.

I will have to be honest and let you know I will continue to call you out about this particular quote until you show me some hard evidence that he indeed said that comment.

Why you ask? I am a very HUGE fan of Jarious and have a lot of respect for him and the way he carries himself infront of the reporters and his teammates. He is very diplomatic and professional. I don't like when people misquote him, whether it's reporters or people in general, in a way that makes him look like he's a supporter of someone or something that he is not. I find your continual posting of him saying “Casey said some things in the locker room that needed to be said” makes him look like he was a supporter of Casey's outbreak in Winnipeg which is not true at all.

I understand if your argument with me is that a reporter quoted him saying that and that it wasn't you. The only thing I have to say is this...do reporters always get it right? Can any of us truly believe everything they write? I'm trying to give you the inside scoop and tell you that I know the truth because I was told by Jarious himself. He said he never said that!

Again, I will be the first to apologize if I am wrong but until then I will continue to stick up for my favourite Lion, Jarious Jackson.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

keep in mind I have memory issues when I ask, who the hell is this casey printers guy everone keeps talking about???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:keep in mind I have memory issues when I ask, who the hell is this casey printers guy everone keeps talking about???
A most excellent motivational speaker.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

My comments on Jackson were from his TV interview not a newspaper article.

How you think Jackson saying that makes him a bad guy is beyond any form of reasonable comprehension. In a football team saying some things that need to be said is not a problem and would not be a problem with Wally Buono who has never taken issue with Jackson when he questioned not playing or being passed over. Jarius Jackson in a TV interview said what I said. If you didn't see it others did. It was hardly an earth shattering comment and with their team some things needed to said and no doubt were including stuff not reported.

O'Neal Wilson also said quite positive things while other players trashed Printers like Reid or the unnamed player who says he never had it to begin with.

The reality is that the Lions moved on. Things are working with Lulay and Printers is recovering from surgery and Jackson is still with their team.

I don't get this obsession with this nor with my OPINIONS which I have always made clear are my opinions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gerry
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:My comments on Jackson were from his TV interview not a newspaper article.

How you think Jackson saying that makes him a bad guy is beyond any form of reasonable comprehension. In a football team saying some things that need to be said is not a problem and would not be a problem with Wally Buono who has never taken issue with Jackson when he questioned not playing or being passed over.

Perhaps you should be finding the source as TV interviews seem to disappear.

O'Neal Wilson also said quite positive things while other players trashed Printers like Reid or the unnamed player who says he never had it to begin with.

The very name truth-hurts seems to suggest an agenda and your personal attacks from the time you started on this boards seem to be pretty consistent. How many names you use here?
Well, we all have agendas to some degree or another, Toppy. You do. I do. We have all made up our minds on CP for good or ill. The thing is that truth hurts says he has first hand knowledge of JJ's opinion on this matter, and that has to count for something. We all know that most of what is in the media is garbage, even an interview. People say what is PC on camera. All we can go by is what actually occurs and then we draw our own conclusions as to the motivations of the parties involved.

CP is gone. That tells the story right there.
Enough is enough.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Thought truth-hurts quoted Blitz, not you Toppy. Don't understand why you feel you have to get your shot in.

Casey moved on, maybe this thread could too.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
D
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Casey moved on, maybe this thread could too.
That's the most intelligent statement in the last several pages :beauty:
I own The Grey Cup! .com