Lions sign Christian Covington

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Whoa! Maybe this doesn’t happen if Betts re-signed and didn’t head down south. The D-line talent is certainly stacked.

https://www.bclions.com/2024/05/01/cov ... e-lineman/
squishy35
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:25 pm
Whoa! Maybe this doesn’t happen if Betts re-signed and didn’t head down south. The D-line talent is certainly stacked.

I didn't see this coming at all. What a great signing.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like this signing.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:

At 30 hopefully he still has some gas left in the tank and doesn't return with the NFL hangover that has plagued many in the past.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:45 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

At 30 hopefully he still has some gas left in the tank and doesn't return with the NFL hangover that has plagued many in the past.
My understaning is that Richardson will also be at TC later this month. It will be fun to watch the two of them at Hillside.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

squishy35 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:50 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:45 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

My understaning is that Richardson will also be at TC later this month. It will be fun to watch the two of them at Hillside.
If Stove is 100% back to his previous abilities this could give them a pair of 300 pounders for the middle for the first time since the days of Eric Taylor and Khalif Mitchell. It really makes one wonder where can they hide all the talent. They now seem to have 11 or 12 to legitimately battle for the 8 man rotation with Covington, Cherry, Bemiy, Banks, Stove and Debaillie competing for 4 interior spots. Then they have Tuehema, Robertson, Siddiqi, Menard and Joseph looking for work on the ends. That's not counting a promising guy like Marcus Moore and special teams standout Josh Archibald.

For all those lamenting the lack of beef in the middle (I think @David may have been chairman of the Where's the Beef Club :wink: ) your prayers have been answered.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 pm
For all those lamenting the lack of beef in the middle (I think @David may have been chairman of the Where's the Beef Club :wink: ) your prayers have been answered.
Ha! I think it is David but I'm certainly a chartered member. The defying moment for me last season was the the Bombers running Oliveira down our throats in the opening drive of the Western Final as we were just shoved around up front. And as our dear friend Blitz would point out you simply can't run blitz all the time to stop it.

Hopefully Covington and a healthy Richardson will be difference makers.

Wonder if it's just a 1-year Grey Cup hosting deal? If Betts does come back north I think the Als now have the inside track with Lemon's departure and perhaps this signing means the Lions are cashed out anyways.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 pm
Haha - Chairman, CEO, CFO, and President!

Proudly. :roar:

(well, Jim Barker might be President....he was always a vocal critic of our "lack of girth" up front).

I love this signing. Not just for size. It's his obvious talents, pedigree, and his outspoken praise in the past of his hometown club. I love it all and can't wait to see our D-line coming out of camp this year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is a huge signing, and I’m not referring to Covington’s size and strength. As others have said, he and Stove Richardson can be difference-makers in the middle if they’re healthy and in game shape. Having national status as a local product from Vancouver College bolsters the CFL’s deepest national talent pool on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t know what it means for Cherry, Bemiy and draft pick Kail Dava, and especially American DLs in the rotation. Richardson, Robertson Teuhema and Banks will have to earn their time in the rotation.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:02 pm
This is a huge signing, and I’m not referring to Covington’s size and strength. As others have said, he and Stove Richardson can be difference-makers in the middle if they’re healthy and in game shape. Having national status as a local product from Vancouver College bolsters the CFL’s deepest national talent pool on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t know what it means for Cherry, Bemiy and draft pick Kail Dava, and especially American DLs in the rotation. Richardson, Robertson Teuhema and Banks will have to earn their time in the rotation.

I was quite surprised Dava fell way down to the 5th round where the Lions got him (big-time steal maybe?); thought he was arguably the best DT in this draft crop with the Div I resume and production; torn rotator cuff injury to recover from but hopefully that goes well.

If he has it, that would be potential great Canadian DT depth if he could team with Covington & Cherry. Hope Covington is still in great shape and revved up to play in the CFL> A couple of other ex-NFL Canuck DTs - Vaughn Martin & Stefan Charles - who did come back to play in the CFL were disappointments with not much playing time or production.
David
Team Captain

Just noticed tonight that Stove Richardson has been transferred to the Retired List. :sigh:

https://www.cfl.ca/transactions
2024-05-01 BC RICHARDSON, Steven DT A Minnesota TRF TO RETIRED

Perhaps this was the impetus to get Covington signed or just a coincidence? Maybe they asked him to take a pay cut? Who knows? But at least we have a lot of depth along the O-line.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Clash Dance
Rookie

Yes, no Stove on the website Roster. Covington given #96
don corleone
All Star

Appears to be a true feel good story with Covington returning. I expect a lot of leadership that will benefit the young guys he will be playing with. Doesn't sound like money was an issue.

Kind of thinking Daniel Joseph is going to be in the rotation with Cherry and Bemiy.
Qman
Champion

Great job by lions mgmt. love he is coming home.

.. but a little levity

Remember Vaughn Martin ?
Similar to Christian was a stud nose tackle for San Diego for 6 years.
Came back to Montreal .. last 7 games before being cut.
CFL is a really good league.

Just adding Brett Boyko levity until we see him at camp. Worst case he is rotation cdn depth, helps with ratio. Best case he turns into Ted Laurent.
OV:54-40
Starter

don corleone wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:15 pm
Appears to be a true feel good story with Covington returning. I expect a lot of leadership that will benefit the young guys he will be playing with. Doesn't sound like money was an issue.

Kind of thinking Daniel Joseph is going to be in the rotation with Cherry and Bemiy.

Joseph has the nice resume and seems like a good addition; he will have to compete with the likes of Bemiy and Archibald and doubt he will just be handed playing time.