Lions' receivers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A few things from reading the latest posts:

1. Hambone reminding us of the Buck Pierce find at a FA camp - yet to happen this year.
Those are rare finds but also if you look at what was going on where IIRC in Regina in pre-season, Jarius Jackson lost pretty much his entire season on the first play and I think it was Printers who came in next with Pierce off the bench bringing BC back from a loss to a W.
The point of this little story is how situational opportunity to make a pro team can determine a player's trajectory in a big way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and talent is similar when it comes to giving players an opportunity. As I've told clubs I've coached for and players I've coached and some I've just known, every coach has their own ideas as to what talent is. I was given a player to develop for Premier on my Div 1 mens soccer squad as they took another player (a tandem back from Brazil training for pro neither made). The player I had was a nice kid who could juggle a ball for an hour and dribble fancy but it was tough getting him to be a starter as he didn't know where to be and what to. He was a wide MF player who stopped attack by f...king around. Eventually he learned that our attack is played at pace. We're not in Brazil. The Premier guy was a play stopper in central MF and despite my advice the coaches let him play that way and it hurt them but he sure looked pretty.

2. Some of the most talented receivers in pro football aren't the fastest or tallest but they know how to run a route and in synch with what their QB needs.
Wieneke might have been a casualty of circumstance in Regina last year with the QB situation.
He was good in Montreal and as noted with Vernon Adams.

3. The QB of the future in the CFL is Cameron Dukes who doesn't get enough love even from Argo Fans on their forum. When he played last year he looked and acted like a confident, competent pro QB. He's working hard off season as I see on Instagram. If Chad Kelly after that video rant is melting down he'll be their starter.
But the next generation of QBs had to be developed.

I like Dru Brown but I see more potential from my TV set LOL in Cameron Dukes who comes from football powerhouse Lindsey Wilson that no one in football ever heard of.

Dukes is in the HOF lol already:

https://footballfoundation.org/hof_scho ... px?hof=987
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

I guess Chase Claypool would have to sign an ELC as a National which makes it even more unlikely but for a guy who could use a fresh start the Lions might be his best available opportunity . Mom's home cooking and watchful eye won't hurt and it might be fun for him. I do believe he is looking at free agency in the NFL this year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am
I guess Chase Claypool would have to sign an ELC as a National which makes it even more unlikely but for a guy who could use a fresh start the Lions might be his best available opportunity . Mom's home cooking and watchful eye won't hurt and it might be fun for him. I do believe he is looking at free agency in the NFL this year.
Good thought but the ELC part is not necessarily true according to the CBA. There is a vagueness as Claypool wasn't taken in the CFL Draft. Lions 2021 draft pick Alaric Jackson on the other hand definitely would not be subject to the rookie salary ELC grid. Myself I can't see them allowing this to apply to drafted players while undrafted players would be subject to the ELC grid. Claypool now has 4 NFL years of pay cheques under his belt.

Section 9.03 National NFL Players Signing and Playing in the CFL

Any National player who has received a pay cheque for three (3) or more years in the NFL can play for the CFL team that drafted him or owns his rights, and will not be subject to the rookie grid outlined above. Each year in the NFL removes one (1) year off the rookie grid up to the three (3) years. A National in the NFL can receive a pay cheque through either the Active Roster, Practice Roster or Injured List.

Regardless it seems he's had enough of a struggle fitting his ego into an NFL helmet that it might be too difficult to fit it into a CFL bucket. With that he'd probably expect to be the CFL's highest paid receiver.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Yeah, Claypool has NFL level talent, but from where I sit it appears he does not have pro football maturity. I don't think his ego would allow him to play in the CFL.
don corleone
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:36 pm
Yeah, Claypool has NFL level talent, but from where I sit it appears he does not have pro football maturity. I don't think his ego would allow him to play in the CFL.
I don't follow the NFL close enough to know if Claypool gets another chance and if he does what kind of chance it will be. Doubtful Kansas City is mulling it over.

I would make the call and think it is something his people should consider. Get his head on straight and who knows. He didn't have the best role models with Antonio Brown among them and is still so young.

It's almost a purrfect scenario with Hatcher out and the spot open with Hatcher to mentor him . He might find out it is not a bad life and a good year may perk NFL interest again. Maybe best of all will be being home. I don't see money being an issue given the opportunity to re-ignite the career provided he does not already have other opportunities.

Very slowly the CFL is being recognized for the quality of play. Especially if the team is doing well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Claypool comes across to me as being similar to Duron Carter. Long on talent but lacking the sort of maturity needed to be a pro. What I don't know is what sort of work ethic he has. If it's good he can still salvage he career. If it's like what Carter showed at his only training camp with BC his career might be over.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am
DanoT wrote:
Claypool comes across to me as being similar to Duron Carter. Long on talent but lacking the sort of maturity needed to be a pro. What I don't know is what sort of work ethic he has. If it's good he can still salvage he career. If it's like what Carter showed at his only training camp with BC his career might be over.
I haven’t followed his career but I can’t see our management group wanting to add someone that has developed the problems and reputation that this player has. Let Chris Jones sign him (if he wants to play in Canada).
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am
DanoT wrote:
I think the maturity problems in re Carter were overblown. He was an active, proficient, and willing downfield blocker and eventually learned to leave his ego on the sideline.

Something Claypool isn't humble enough to do yet. Maybe getting cut and being out of the NFL for a year will do it.

Patmon is Cottoy insurance. Big, not a burner and needs to build up a head of steam. Good short to intermediate guy but not a lid lifter.

Lucky is no longer fast enough and good enough off the blocks to be the Lucky this team needs. He's the High guy in the high low read progression and he isn't getting open enough on the Highs. That causes problems.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

My opinion of Carter stems from watching him at training camp in Kamloops. I had high expectations of him really connecting with Reilly but all I saw was a lazy pantload who seemed disinterested in putting in any more than minimal effort. He spent most of the time during stretching exercises yukking it up with the waterboys, strength & conditioning coaches and anybody close to him. When he wasn't doing that he was half heartedly jogging and smiling his way thru the sprint sessions putting in just enough effort to finish ahead of the offensive linemen. It was a disgusting display when everyone around him is working their tails off and he's just going thru the motions. I don't know why Claybrooks didn't cut him halfway thru camp.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm
My opinion of Carter stems from watching him at training camp in Kamloops. I had high expectations of him really connecting with Reilly but all I saw was a lazy pantload who seemed disinterested in putting in any more than minimal effort. He spent most of the time during stretching exercises yukking it up with the waterboys, strength & conditioning coaches and anybody close to him. When he wasn't doing that he was half heartedly jogging and smiling his way thru the sprint sessions putting in just enough effort to finish ahead of the offensive linemen. It was a disgusting display when everyone around him is working their tails off and he's just going thru the motions. I don't know why Claybrooks didn't cut him halfway thru camp.
Agreed. Carter and Odell Willis were free spirits who were allowed to express their individualism and do what they wanted in Devone Claybrooks' laid-back country club. They were expected to be team leaders but they were allowed to get away with things that would not be tolerated by most coaches, including wandering around chatting and joking with teammates while everyone else was lined up in rows on the ground stretching during warmups. They both under-performed on the field, and Claybrooks enforced little structure or team discipline. The result was an embarrassing 5-13 season.
don corleone
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm
Agreed. Carter and Odell Willis were free spirits who were allowed to express their individualism and do what they wanted in Devone Claybrooks' laid-back country club. They were expected to be team leaders but they were allowed to get away with things that would not be tolerated by most coaches, including wandering around chatting and joking with teammates while everyone else was lined up in rows on the ground stretching during warmups. They both under-performed on the field, and Claybrooks enforced little structure or team discipline. The result was an embarrassing 5-13 season.
5 -13 sums it up but doesn't really tell the whole story where I thought the team came together and played well down the stretch particularly on defense for which I credit Claybrooks. It was the high paid free agent and his hand picked rookie offensive coordinator that was more of the problem. Ironic that Travis Lulay was healthy when the Lions moved on.

Never thought of Odell as a non contributor. They used to talk about how he knew every players responsibility on the field and I always thought he would make a good coach. Would love to see Claybrooks back in the league as well. Cocked hat and all.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm
[
Ironic that Travis Lulay was healthy when the Lions moved on.

Never thought of Odell as a non contributor. They used to talk about how he knew every players responsibility on the field and I always thought he would make a good coach. Would love to see Claybrooks back in the league as well. Cocked hat and all.
If you're talking in 2018 the season before Reilly was signed then not really for Lulay being healthy. Jennings started the first 4 games. I don't recall if Lulay was still nursing something from 2017 because when Wally gave the hook to Jennings in Wk 4 Fajardo went in instead of Lulay. Regardless the following week Travis started and would start the next 6. Then in Wk 13 he suffered a concussion but would return for Wk 14 only to separate his shoulder. That kept him out for the next 3 before returning to start the final 4 plus the embarrassing 48-8 loss to Hamilton in the ESF.

Travis is one of the classiest players ever to wear Lions colours and a real warrior. Sadly though they had to move on because they absolutely couldn't rely on him to stay healthy for any extended period of time. The last time he started more than 12 games was in 2012.

Like you I don't recall Willis being an issue but at the same time think he was nowhere near the player he used to be. Certainly his sack numbers fell off from 11 in 2018 to 4 in 2019. The thing I remember most about Odell's time in BC was the asinine objectionable conduct penalty he took when I was in attendance at their game in Ottawa in 2018. It wiped out a stop that would have forced Ottawa to punt and gave them a first down and new life that would propel the REDBLACKS to a come from behind win.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
don corleone
Starter

One thing I noticed about Lulay vs Jon Jennings is how he used to use the entire receiving corp. The open man got the ball. With Jennngs it seemed two receivers got most of the targets. Reilly was kind of the same way. V.A. has his own style that despite being effective sometimes appears related to praying. Very good chance he leads the league in passing yards.

What will be interesting is if and how Jake Dolegala fits in. Big guy with a strong arm. Also think Dakota Prukop is fully capable of more than just short yardage if need be. Lions have a good QB group.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Jamie Nye has an article over the weekend where he picks 5 young receivers who he thinks can pop their 1000 yard season cherry in 2024. One of the 5 he chose is BC's Ayden Eberhardt.

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/03/29/1000-yard ... h-in-2024/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm
I watched Duron practice during the season with BC and witnessed more positives including he did whatever they asked him to do. One day Carter was on the kick off cover team and their was a rookie who after two or three kickoffs what Carter was doing to toss him off his cover. With no one around Carter showed him how he was just turning his body with a hand on his shoulder putting him out of the play.

Also that offense of Jarius Jackson had slower routes from other than the deep receiver, Burnham who did have to hit those routes at full pace.

Chase Claypool is surprisingly a slow learner. You'd think being knocked down a peg or three, he'd come at it with some humility.

A team could interview him first and ideally lay it out for him and see if there's buy in. Given how long it's gone on, I'm not sure.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy