Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:19 am
Wonder if the Robertson signing is all the Lions will do for the defensive line with Nathan Cherry, Stove Richardson or possibly others pencilled in to replace Baron on the inside.
Or do they continue the 1-year signing theme with FAs and hope Sewell has one solid season left in his tank to add more stout in the interior?

You would think the secondary still has to be addressed with 2 vacant starting positions. The fact they decided to move on from Edwards-Cooper may indicate they want an entry level salary at field side corner. Unless Mike Jones is still in the picture.

Can't see them going with a rookie in TJ Lee's spot and who knows when he will be healthy enough to return. Argos vet Robertson Daniel appears to be the most qualified FA candidate. He picked off VA three times in that loss at BMO last season.
I don't think they're hurting in the middle. As BCF mentioned they also have Marcus Moore who looked good in camp and Francis Bemiy. Both had troubles beating the numbers game in what was a deep and extremely healthy BC DL. Bemiy finally got his chance when Cherry went down. Moore drew in for the game Banks was unavailable and the following game when Teuhema couldn't go.

When you look at the GP for BC's DL DeBaillie, Menard, Betts, Siddiqi, Tuehema, Banks and Baron combined to miss only 3 games out of a possible 126. Cherry was the only one of the 8 making up the regular rotation to miss more than 1 game. He missed 8 which gave Bemiy his chance. 12 BC DL played at least 1 game last year and that's including ST stud Josh Archibald. They still have 9 of those 12 returning with Betts, Baron and Nick Usher having been removed and Richardson and now Robertson being added. They currently have 18 DL listed on the roster. I'm not really seeing a need for Sewell.

Speaking of the secondary there is one name that seems forgotten. In early December BC signed former Ticat Lawrence Woods III. Woods spent 2 years with the Ticats. He was primarily used as a returner in 2022. In 2023 he played 7 games starting 4 at field CB while recording 20 DT and 2 ST tackles. Otherwise he seemed to bounce between the 46, 1G and PR. He could be in the mix for one of those vacancies in the secondary.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
squishy35
Legend

Last edited by squishy35 on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Jake Dolegala is set to be the #2 QB.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/14/b-c- ... -dolegala/
dpoe
Starter

squishy35 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 am
https://3downnation.com/2024/02/14/b-c- ... -dolegala/

Donegal signed.
I like this signing. Our QB stable is looking a whole lot better since last week at this time.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:09 am
cromartie wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:33 pm
I don’t want to spend another seven pages on this, because my stance on this is pretty clear after 20 years here.

You aren’t getting NFL playing time, you aren’t making NFL money unless you are extraordinarily (he isn’t ) and sitting around in a press box not playing does no favors for your career development.

Unless you are Cameron Wake, for reasons that have been articulated here dozens of times, stay in Canada and be the best player in the league .
So what you're saying is Shelton Quarles, Brendan Ayanbadejo, O.J.Brigance, Harold Hasselbach, Jerrell Freeman, Jeff Garcia, Alex Singleton, Brett Jones, Sam Equavoen, DeAundre Alford, Brandon Browner, Dontrelle Inman, Mike Vanderjagt and Erik Harris to name a few should never have left the CFL to take their NFL shot. None are Cam Wake calibre and some aren't Mathieu Betts calibre either but all received plenty of NFL playing time and NFL money. In the mix are some 10 year careers, some Pro Bowls and a few Super Bowl rings. Why shouldn't Betts think he has a shot if these guys could make it? Certainly he isn't inferior in talent to them.
*sigh*

What percentage of guys who leave the CFL over the span of time you're pulling players from actually make an impact? They're exceptions to the rule for a reason.

This discussion is tiresome. The stats favor me. You and OV jump on here with what abouts.

SOL E won two CFL DPOY awards and couldn't crack the Browns practice roster.
Adam Bighill won three CFL DPOY awards and was a fixture in the Saints weight room for two seasons.

Stop it.

Take the money, play at a high level in a league you're the best in and get a bust in the Hall.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the Lions address their secondary by signing halfback Ciante Evans on yet another one-year contract.

https://www.bclions.com/2024/02/14/lion ... secondary/

All in all a pretty impressive haul the last 24 hours addressing various needs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 pm
And the Lions address their secondary by signing halfback Ciante Evans on yet another one-year contract.

Evans will certainly add experience to the secondary after the release of Quincy Mauger, loss of Jalon Edwards-Cooper to Saskatchewan and the injury to TJ Lee. I’d like to see the Lions sign one more veteran DB if they don’t re-sign Mike Jones. They have good national depth but I don’t expect them to start two nationals in the secondary.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 pm

A bit surprising the 1 year deals as typically since McEvoy and Campbell have been involved it's almost like the 2 year deal is team standard but I guess that's only when extending their own.
OV:54-40
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:57 am
Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:09 am
cromartie wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:33 pm
I don’t want to spend another seven pages on this, because my stance on this is pretty clear after 20 years here.

You aren’t getting NFL playing time, you aren’t making NFL money unless you are extraordinarily (he isn’t ) and sitting around in a press box not playing does no favors for your career development.

Unless you are Cameron Wake, for reasons that have been articulated here dozens of times, stay in Canada and be the best player in the league .
So what you're saying is Shelton Quarles, Brendan Ayanbadejo, O.J.Brigance, Harold Hasselbach, Jerrell Freeman, Jeff Garcia, Alex Singleton, Brett Jones, Sam Equavoen, DeAundre Alford, Brandon Browner, Dontrelle Inman, Mike Vanderjagt and Erik Harris to name a few should never have left the CFL to take their NFL shot. None are Cam Wake calibre and some aren't Mathieu Betts calibre either but all received plenty of NFL playing time and NFL money. In the mix are some 10 year careers, some Pro Bowls and a few Super Bowl rings. Why shouldn't Betts think he has a shot if these guys could make it? Certainly he isn't inferior in talent to them.
*sigh*

What percentage of guys who leave the CFL over the span of time you're pulling players from actually make an impact? They're exceptions to the rule for a reason.

This discussion is tiresome. The stats favor me. You and OV jump on here with what abouts.

Adam Bighill won three CFL DPOY awards and was a fixture in the Saints weight room for two seasons.

Stop it.

Take the money, play at a high level in a league you're the best in and get a bust in the Hall.
Nothing wrong with staying in the CFL where you're appreciated and can make pretty decent coin and get to the HOF maybe.

Also nothing wrong with a player trying to make a team in the biggest , most prestigious and top money league there is.

Hambone provided a number of examples to counter the ones you could bring; if NFL talent evaluators or scouts are too dumb or myopic to see the talent of a Sol-E, Bighill or Nathan Rourke - well bully for them. I provided a very specific example of Alex Singleton - who, like Betts, was NFL undrafted but went on to CFL D player of the year skill/play. Singleton got his NFL shot and not only made it there, he has been one of the leading tacklers in the entire NFL for 3 straight seasons now (likely top 3 or so in cumulative tackles over the past 3 NFL seasons) = if you can't grasp what that means, not sure what to say.

When we see a decent to good CFL talent receiver like a Dontrelle Inman go down and stick and play in the NFL for years, and meanwhile a whole pile of other CFL receivers who are clearly as good or better receiver talents (Brian Burnham for one had umpteen more receiver talent/skills than Inman IMO) do not get an NFL look even - that tells me anyways, that it's very little to do with "talent" but more who you know there or where you might luck out landing thru a connected agent.

If you want to write-off top CFL talent from ever trying to make the NFL cause a bunch of teams down there are ignorant clowns, that's swell / good for you; just don't expect everybody to think the same way.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:57 am

*sigh*

Stop it.

* sigh * back. :wink:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I totally understand the odds are not in his favour. I totally understand that he could take the safe, easy way out and stay put and collect big CFL money. However these guys aren't wired that way. They wouldn't have made it to where they are without the insatiable competitive desire and self-confidence to be the best player they can be at the highest level they can achieve. Betts wouldn't have made it to being DPOY if he didn't have that drive or desire to be the best in the CFL. It's only natural, if not instinctive, for him to want to see if he can compete at the next level. It's not in his DNA to say OK I'm just hitting my prime as an athlete and achieving what I have and that's good enough. He knows the chances, risks and odds of taking the opportunity he's being given.
Shadax
prospect

Hello, everyone. Als fans here. Not sure if this is the real Vernon Adams, but thought I'd share anyway.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that all the free agents with the exception of Dolega are 30+ years of age and on one year contracts. Tells me that the Lions are all in for the Grey Cup at home.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:52 pm
A bit surprising the 1 year deals as typically since McEvoy and Campbell have been involved it's almost like the 2 year deal is team standard but I guess that's only when extending their own.
And they certainly have made 2-year agreements with recent FAs including McInnis and Couture a year ago. Maybe the combo of the team all in trying to get over the hump in a Grey Cup hosting season and some players thinking their performance will lead to better money in 2025.
Are 1-year deals typically for less money?

Impressed with what they have done so far after a body blow start to FA with the Betts NFL signing. Didn’t have Prukop and Dolegala on my bingo card but very pleased with what’s in place behind VA.
They must have been haunted by some of Davis’ horrible QB sneaks down the stretch (especially late in the gut wrenching Winnipeg game at home) to make Prukop such a priority while still shopping for a #2.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:52 pm
And they certainly have made 2-year agreements with recent FAs including McInnis and Couture a year ago. Maybe the combo of the team all in trying to get over the hump in a Grey Cup hosting season and some players thinking their performance will lead to better money in 2025.
Are 1-year deals typically for less money?

Impressed with what they have done so far after a body blow start to FA with the Betts NFL signing. Didn’t have Prukop and Dolegala on my bingo card but very pleased with what’s in place behind VA.
They must have been haunted by some of Davis’ horrible QB sneaks down the stretch (especially late in the gut wrenching Winnipeg game at home) to make Prukop such a priority while still shopping for a #2.
So far this year BC has extended 12 of their own pending FAs and signed 6 FAs from other teams. 9 of the 12 extensions were for more than 1 year with 1 (Dolegala) of the 6 new deals being for more than 1 year.

In 2023 BC also extend 12 of their own pending FAs while signing 7 FAs from other teams. 10 of 12 extensions were for more than 1 year with 3 (Couture, McInnis, Schleuger) of the 7 new deals being for more than 1 year.

The two years combined saw 37 pending FA extensions and new FA signings with 23 being for more than 1 year.
don corleone
Starter

Love the Ciante Evans signing. Still room for Bagayogo to play and learn. Mike Jones might still be a good depth signing. Solid secondary with or without.

Team has done a great job of addressing areas of concern imo. It will be a surprise if they are not contenders. Fingers crossed that 30,000 others might feel the same way and buy tickets.