Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Stanback signing is great as long as the Lions decide to finally get serious about a running game. The fact that they went hard after Oliveira indicates that indeed they might have come around to realizing that without a strong running attack they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions finally got themselves a running back instead of a dancer.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:52 pm
Whoa! According to Farhan the Lions offered Oliveira a three-year escalating deal starting at $250,000 and it took Bombers president Wade Miller’s involvement to ultimately keep him in Winnipeg.
That must have been money allocated for Betts right?
Wow. It's really odd because I had this sneaking feeling for some strange reason that the Leos would go hard after Oliveira. I don't know why.

I don't know how serious he was about leaving his hometown team and probably realized that BC is a "pass-first" offence.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:14 pm
I hate quoting myself but this didn't age well. Richmond, I suspect knowing he waa expected to replace Hardrick, tried to re-negotiate his contract up from near CFL min. He and the Bombers tried but when they couldn't get it done Richmond decided to move on from football and retired
As the world turns they say. It was still a good post.

Your point about stashing the replacement guy on the PR due to ratio limitations is still a valid comment only with the new rules it is easier than ever to get those guys on the field. The limitation now are the guys ahead of them on the depth chart.

My guess is Richmond locked into his ELC was a sticking point and Winnipeg refused to give him a bag of money or release him. Retirement was his only recourse. Bombers did the same thing a few years back with Manute Foketi iirc when he tried to sign with Calgary.

Or maybe his wife got a job with Disney or something.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:48 am
Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:14 pm
I hate quoting myself but this didn't age well. Richmond, I suspect knowing he waa expected to replace Hardrick, tried to re-negotiate his contract up from near CFL min. He and the Bombers tried but when they couldn't get it done Richmond decided to move on from football and retired
As the world turns they say. It was still a good post.

Your point about stashing the replacement guy on the PR due to ratio limitations is still a valid comment only with the new rules it is easier than ever to get those guys on the field. The limitation now are the guys ahead of them on the depth chart.

My guess is Richmond locked into his ELC was a sticking point and Winnipeg refused to give him a bag of money or release him. Retirement was his only recourse. Bombers did the same thing a few years back with Manute Foketi iirc when he tried to sign with Calgary.

Or maybe his wife got a job with Disney or something.
Richmond wasn't on an ELC unless his first contract was for 6 years. He first joined the Bombers in 2019 and was under contract for 2024. I suspect he was making more than CFL min but not much more.

It could make for a landing spot for Landon Rice or Argos' Trevon Tate. Rice hails from Brandon and played for the Bisons. However if they couldn't come up with the money for Richmond I doubt they could make it work for Rice. Tate who started 10 games for Toronto last year split between LT and TT could be the most affordable option.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

This from 3D Nation in the article on Edwards-Cooper agreeing to terms with the Riders:

"Pending free agents can negotiate with teams across the league during the current window, which closes on Feb. 11. Players can agree to terms on a contract with a particular team for 2024, however, these deals aren’t legally binding and can’t be finalized or made official until after free agency opens on Feb. 13."

Does the above mean the Lions could meet or exceed Riders offer and thus retain Edwards-Cooper?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am
This from 3D Nation in the article on Edwards-Cooper agreeing to terms with the Riders:

"Pending free agents can negotiate with teams across the league during the current window, which closes on Feb. 11. Players can agree to terms on a contract with a particular team for 2024, however, these deals aren’t legally binding and can’t be finalized or made official until after free agency opens on Feb. 13."

Does the above mean the Lions could meet or exceed Riders offer and thus retain Edwards-Cooper?
The Free Agent Communications Window for teams talking to pending FAs from other teams closes on Feb 11. The teams holding those pending FAs (I.e. BC for Edwards-Cooper) then have 2 days where they again have exclusive negotiation rights. They are also provided copies of any offers, which are binding, other teams submitted to the CFL office for those players. So yes BC could still try to get him to change his mind. The final phase comes in the last 2 hours prior to officially becoming a FA. In that window the player is to decide which offer he wants to take. He is not bound to accept any of them nor to accept the "highest". He just takes the one he prefers. If he chooses none he becomes an FA along with the rest who didn't get an offer.
don corleone
Starter

If I am Dave Dickenson I re-sign Kadeem Carey. If he is on your team then he can't be playing against you. Toronto is looking like a likely suitor. Building an offense that could get both Carey and Mills on the field together would be challenging to defend against imo.

Interesting to hear first that the Lions were in Oliviera after stating that they were not big game hunting and second that he turned down so much more money to stay with the Bombers. I refer back to the famous words of Darian Durant talking about his time in Montreal "there are always ways to circumvent the cap".
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:53 am
DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am

The Free Agent Communications Window for teams talking to pending FAs from other teams closes on Feb 11. The teams holding those pending FAs (I.e. BC for Edwards-Cooper) then have 2 days where they again have exclusive negotiation rights. They are also provided copies of any offers, which are binding, other teams submitted to the CFL office for those players. So yes BC could still try to get him to change his mind. The final phase comes in the last 2 hours prior to officially becoming a FA. In that window the player is to decide which offer he wants to take. He is not bound to accept any of them nor to accept the "highest". He just takes the one he prefers. If he chooses none he becomes an FA along with the rest who didn't get an offer.
I’ve been making the point that Edwards-Cooper hasn’t been lost to the Riders. He has just agreed to terms. I expect the Lions to do everything they can to retain him. He did not give up a TD last year according to Pro Football Focus. More importantly, he and Lee are the best tacklers in the secondary (Mauger is also excellent in run support), and Lee will likely miss a good part of the season. I’ve expected all along that JEC will be moved to field half and Bagayogo will step in at corner. I can’t see the Lions letting JEC go for the Rider offer that has been quoted.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Shiltz is off the board reportedly agreeing to terms with Calgary. He was my preference to slot in behind Adams. Given his experience I thought he'd be the safest option to come off the bench to win games and keep BC in the running to get to the Grey Cup.

The only remaining pending FAs or FAs are Arbuckle, Cornelius, Dom Davis, Dolegala, Locksley and Prukop. I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings about any of them but I supposed by process of elimination would default to Cornelius.
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 am
Looks like Shiltz is off the board reportedly agreeing to terms with Calgary. He was my preference to slot in behind Adams. Given his experience I thought he'd be the safest option to come off the bench to win games and keep BC in the running to get to the Grey Cup.

The only remaining pending FAs or FAs are Arbuckle, Cornelius, Dom Davis, Dolegala, Locksley and Prukop. I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings about any of them but I supposed by process of elimination would default to Cornelius.
I was hoping for Shiltz to make it to the west coast. With him off the table, my guess would be either Dolegala or Cornelius will make there way to the den.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 am
If I am Dave Dickenson I re-sign Kadeem Carey. If he is on your team then he can't be playing against you. Toronto is looking like a likely suitor. Building an offense that could get both Carey and Mills on the field together would be challenging to defend against imo.
I don't think Calgary could make Carey and Mills fit. They've rarely been able fit both into the lineup at the same time in the past. Last year it only happened when Peyton Logan, their returner/change of pace/backup tailback, was out due to injury. When Logan was healthy one of Carey or Mills was pushed to the 1G injured list. Both Mills and Logan have signed extensions for 2024 meaning Logan was re-signed to again be their returner/change of pace/backup tailback. It would be totally a luxury to have 3 American tailbacks dressed for a game. That means using up half of the DA spots on a backup tailback leaving only 2 spots for rotational American DL, LB, DB or WR. No team is going to try that. With Logan's ability as a returner he would get of the automatic nod over Carey and Mills to be one of the two who get to play. If they want to double up on putting 2 tailbacks on the field they can do that with Mills and Logan.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shiltz has a chance to be QB1A in Calgary, so I understand his decision. The bright side is that he might leave a bit more money on the table for the Lions to retain Betts and Edwards-Cooper.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:53 am
I’ve been making the point that Edwards-Cooper hasn’t been lost to the Riders. He has just agreed to terms. I expect the Lions to do everything they can to retain him. He did not give up a TD last year according to Pro Football Focus. More importantly, he and Lee are the best tacklers in the secondary (Mauger is also excellent in run support), and Lee will likely miss a good part of the season. I’ve expected all along that JEC will be moved to field half and Bagayogo will step in at corner. I can’t see the Lions letting JEC go for the Rider offer that has been quoted.
I notice most all of the 3D articles on players agreeing to terms have the little caveat "and, barring anything unforeseen, he’s expected to sign with the team, per sources."

In theory not only could the Lions circle around so to could another team with the FACW remains open.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I also thought Shiltz has progressed enough to be number 2 QB in BC who can play if needed and Calgary is not a bad place to be for him as he'd get practice reps I'm sure given that the HC is a former QB.

To me the standard for QBs has to be the Bombers when they had Collaros, Brown and Prukop - all contributors and none of whom you feared going in.
Argos had Kelly and Cameron Dukes who looked to me last year he could compete as a starter in the CFL. Can't recall their 3rd guy.

Brady Oliviera:

Interesting how this window helps the stars improve their bargaining power with the team of their preference (Oliviera wants WPG as his home).
An interesting thought. What is the likelihood of a team making an offer that they'd live up to if it was taken, but nicely helps the player push up the cost for his current team knowing that the player was not that serious in leaving. This is a small league where players and coaches know this stuff.

Also, the grass is not always greener in moving as an AJ Ouellette in Regina loses the certainty he had with his Argo coaches and their entire offensive plan is unknown.

If BC was as serious as the money sounded in wanting Brady Oliviera, hopefully this signals a new awareness of the Jim Barker adage that to win "you have be able to run when you want to "and "be able to run when you need to." BC in my view was limited in that regard last year.

The Bombers given their philosophy and structure of their offense have pretty consistently achieved both. Argos too. Calgary used to be like that and something last year was amiss there in that offense and team and just maybe Dave has too many roles and failing in those that are executed by a fully focused Head Coach.

The standard is Mike O'Shea focused on HC and overall assuring it's all going to plan. Rick Campbell is co-GM but game day he is focused on his job as HC as he is practice. Ryan Dinwiddie as HC and OC met his Waterloo in the East Final. Argo Forum fans noted that Mike Miller the QB coach was Missing for that game due to some sort of situation that was not announced and for those who watched Argo games the TV showed Mike Miller at the bench sitting next to Chad Kelly with the iPad after EVERY series. That game was a disaster for Kelly. Dinwiddie had been fine if Chad vented as he has Miller to get things back on track. In their most important game of the year, it blew up on them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy