Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:46 pm
Don't expect the Lions to enter the bidding for a starting free-agent running back. Co-GM Neil McEvoy says the Lions are banking on Taquan Mizzell blossoming in his second year in the league, and he particularly likes the way Mizzell blocked for Vernon Adams.
“I felt that he had a lot of good games. The one thing that we were nervous about coming out of training camp last year was, ‘Is he going to have the ability to block and protect the quarterback?’ At the end of the day, that was probably one of his stronger points, being able to protect Vernon,” McEvoy explained.

“He did have some tremendous games running the ball and I think if we gave him the ball more then he would probably show us that he is as good as what we needed and wanted.”
McEvoy would not entirely rule out adding a running back in free agency, but the team’s financial priorities remain focused elsewhere. That means that the starting job will likely be Mizzell’s to lose, unless another lesser-known back emerges in training camp.
B.C. Lions banking on ‘better showing’ from RB Taquan Mizzell in year two
If the Lions are going to continue to not focus on a running game, then Mizzell will be fine and meet all expectations. Problem is, you don't get to the GC without a solid running game. How long will it take for Lions to recognize this?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:22 pm
Timely article given the recent conversations in this thread. I'm not surprised as I think given the makeup of the offense they aren't willing to spend much of their budget in the backfield. Want to spend big $ on a tailback means letting somebody like Cottoy or Hollins walk.

I can understand where McEvoy is coming from on the 2nd year things. Everybody who was disappointed that BC let James Butler go is conveniently forgetting he was nothing special in his first year with BC when he ran for 497 yards in 11 games before chalking up 1060 in 17 games in his 2nd year. With Smoke's 773 yards in 14 games he was well ahead of Butler's first year pace. I think the level of concern over BC's 2023 running game mirrors the level of concern we had after Butler's first season.

Maybe McEvoy's idea of patience is all we need but as we all know when it comes to sports fans patience is not a virtue
We sports fans are the uber-millenials. We want eveything and we want everything NOW!!! LOL.
These comparisons are quite valid. The biggest difference between Butler and Mizzell is that Butler is bigger at 210 lbs. while Mizzell is listed at just 185. I recall being impressed with Butler as a straight-ahead runner when he took third-team reps in 2021 training camp. Mizzell showed some flashes in camp last year and during the regular season when he got in space outside, but I don't see him as a back who can be counted on to pick up tough yards on second and 3 or consistently move the chains when the Lions are trying to protect a fourth-quarter lead. I still hope they sign or develop a bigger back to share the workload and help pick up those tough yards after contact.
don corleone
Starter

Wes Hills is a bigger running back that I thought the Lions might have interest in after the XFL season was over and players started to trickle back. Apparently not though.

Western final is 7:00 pm central Nov 7, 2024 and could be played in brutal conditions in 4 of the 5 possible locations. Prepare for the worst they say.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:46 pm
Don't expect the Lions to enter the bidding for a starting free-agent running back. Co-GM Neil McEvoy says the Lions are banking on Taquan Mizzell blossoming in his second year in the league, and he particularly likes the way Mizzell blocked for Vernon Adams.
“I felt that he had a lot of good games. The one thing that we were nervous about coming out of training camp last year was, ‘Is he going to have the ability to block and protect the quarterback?’ At the end of the day, that was probably one of his stronger points, being able to protect Vernon,” McEvoy explained.

“He did have some tremendous games running the ball and I think if we gave him the ball more then he would probably show us that he is as good as what we needed and wanted.”
McEvoy would not entirely rule out adding a running back in free agency, but the team’s financial priorities remain focused elsewhere. That means that the starting job will likely be Mizzell’s to lose, unless another lesser-known back emerges in training camp.
B.C. Lions banking on ‘better showing’ from RB Taquan Mizzell in year two
If the Lions are going to continue to not focus on a running game, then Mizzell will be fine and meet all expectations. Problem is, you don't get to the GC without a solid running game. How long will it take for Lions to recognize this?
Nonetheless they will still be bringing in competition. It might be his job to lose when camp opens but Mizzell will still have to earn the spot.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:55 pm
Wes Hills is a bigger running back that I thought the Lions might have interest in after the XFL season was over and players started to trickle back. Apparently not though.

Western final is 7:00 pm central Nov 7, 2024 and could be played in brutal conditions in 4 of the 5 possible locations. Prepare for the worst they say.
Hills remains under contract in the UFL . He was selected by Michigan in the dispersal draft the they held out of the merger.
maxlion
Legend

The difference between Butler in 2021 and Mizzell in 2023 is that Butler noticeably improved over the course of the season, which gave some optimism for 2022, while Mizzell didn't seem to improve to the same extent in 2023. If anything, Mizzell may have regressed.

In 2021, in Butler's first 5 games, he averaged 21.8 yards/game and 2.8 yards/carry. Over his last 5 games of 2021, he averaged 71.8 yards/game and 6.3 yards/carry.

Mizzell's stats aren't up in CFL.ca yet for some reason, but I don't recall his numbers improving over the year.

Maybe Mizzell will progress in his second year. I wouldn't be handing him the job yet though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm
The difference between Butler in 2021 and Mizzell in 2023 is that Butler noticeably improved over the course of the season, which gave some optimism for 2022, while Mizzell didn't seem to improve to the same extent in 2023. If anything, Mizzell may have regressed.

In 2021, in Butler's first 5 games, he averaged 21.8 yards/game and 2.8 yards/carry. Over his last 5 games of 2021, he averaged 71.8 yards/game and 6.3 yards/carry.

Mizzell's stats aren't up in CFL.ca yet for some reason, but I don't recall his numbers improving over the year.

Maybe Mizzell will progress in his second year. I wouldn't be handing him the job yet though.
If you go into the Lions site and look for the link to Depth Charts & Game Notes click on Game Notes for the WSF. Then you can scroll through the various stats to see Mizzell's game by game numbers. For stats junkies like me there is a treasure trove of numbers to pour thru.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I guess wishful thinking they would consider signing a Carey or Stanback on a 1-year deal in a Grey Cup hosting year.
I get it, to manage the salary cap you need so many entry level starters to hand out raises to others.
They have lost four of those from last season (Hladik, Hollins, Edwards-Cooper and Teuhema) so you want to keep spending minimum at RB. Hopefully they at least bring in plenty of competition,.
OV:54-40
Starter

The Lions would be well served to have lots of TC competition IMO to find a real good starting RB; they should also think of a RB by commitee approach and have 2 capable ball carrying RBs with different styles - a thunder & lightening approach like with Philpot & Millington. Makes zero sense now with larger rosters to have one guy designated as your only back, unless maybe he's a Mike Pringle or Oliveira of last season.

Mizzell flashed some talent but is not an every-down starting tailback IMO; haven't they already singed some new import tailbacks for TC? = good; they could also think of giving a Canadian RB a real shot to be part of a 1-2 punch; Alberta RB Matt Peterson is coming off a superb rushing year and should be available this draft (maybe could be got mid to late rounds?); and there are FA Canadian tailbacks to be tried with real TC shots.

As far as James Butler: guy has played 3 seasons now as a starting tailback in the league, and his yds/carry averages in those seasons are - 4.9, 5.0 and 4.7 last season, for a career 4.8 average thus far = that is as weak or mediocre production as it gets nowdays - worst in the league type numbers; Butler may run hard at times and have some talent but IMO he is vastly over-rated and keeps getting handed starting gigs mostly because of his passport, and he gets stuffed for short gains far too often (hence the weak yds/carry averages). The Ticats must have thought signing him plus Bo Mitchell & Duke Williams was some big answer last season - big name"veterans" - and we saw how that worked out for them.
don corleone
Starter

Close to being an excuse from a GM for Mizzell needing the year to acclimatize but it does establish that the Lions are going to be patient with him for now. The ELC works in their favour and could be they are right about year two being an improvement. Time will tell.

From a bringing in some competition perspective Jamal Morrow is a free agent and might be worth a look.
Two years behind that line has given him lots of lessons learned already.

Would also keep an eye on who shakes loose in Calgary. Mills could be a game changer. Carey already is but will be more expensive.
don corleone
Starter

Fairly big trade with Ceresna going to the Argos for Gittens Jr. Possible fallout from the Chad Kelly deal with maybe some input from Bethel Thompson. Potentially curbs an appetite the Elks may have had for Jevon Cottoy.

Also says someone is not returning from the Argo D line. Stay tuned.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Lots of talk that Oakman won't be returning for the Argos who are loaded with good young DL talent who were already cutting into his playing time. They just extended Orimolade and have Robbie Smith, Dewayne Hendrix, Brandon Barlow and Jared Brinkman who are all 28 and under. Oakman is 31. Oakman, Barlow and Hendrix are all pending FAs.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

One big name off the Lions FA list with a new 3-year deal for Keon Hatcher. Well deserved and McElvoy dropped some major praise last week of his value to the team. Will be interesting to see the dollar value compared to Rhymes and where Cottoy & Hollins potentially slot in behind him.

Now hurry up and get healthy #4!

https://www.bclions.com/2024/01/15/cfl- ... 26-season/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:19 am
Close to being an excuse from a GM for Mizzell needing the year to acclimatize but it does establish that the Lions are going to be patient with him for now. The ELC works in their favour and could be they are right about year two being an improvement. Time will tell.

From a bringing in some competition perspective Jamal Morrow is a free agent and might be worth a look.
Two years behind that line has given him lots of lessons learned already.

Would also keep an eye on who shakes loose in Calgary. Mills could be a game changer. Carey already is but will be more expensive.
The 3-year term is significant, since 2024 is likely to be an a rehab year. It’s encouraging to see Hatcher say that his recovery is on schedule and he hopes to be back at some point this year.
OV:54-40
Starter

don corleone wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:08 pm
Fairly big trade with Ceresna going to the Argos for Gittens Jr. Possible fallout from the Chad Kelly deal with maybe some input from Bethel Thompson. Potentially curbs an appetite the Elks may have had for Jevon Cottoy.

Also says someone is not returning from the Argo D line. Stay tuned.
Jones went out and got a 1000 yard Canadian receiver to fill a starting spot for one of his 7 only need apply positions - that was likely a big missing piece for him as last year's Canadian receivers who played some (Cobb & Forbes-Mombleau) did not produce that much; and Gittens had his big season working with new EE QB, MBT. Argos had other young National receivers (Brissett, Nield, Ungerer) who stepped-up to play well last year so they might feel they won't miss the bigger contract of Gittens that much.

OTOH - the Argos might be losing one or both of their 2 good DTs (Oakman & Hendrix) in FA so they acquired an even better DT (Ceresna as good as it gets there lately IMO); problem for Jones is though, he is unlikely to find a DT as good as Ceresna for a defence that has been weak to mediocre (for a supposed Jones' strong-suit - pffft); but maybe Jones will be able to sign Hendrix or Oakman ?

Could be a solid, good trade for both teams IMO. Star player for star player; neither real old; both with similar big CFL pay-days.