CFL Possible Rule Changes 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CFL winter meetings present possible rule changes CFL Insider Dave Naylor was at the league's winter meetings in Nashville:

CFL Insider Dave Naylor was at the league's winter meetings in Nashville and joins SportsCentre to discuss some new rule changes that we could see when the new season kicks off in June.
Video is only about two situations and just one of them is likely to go to rules committee meetings in March:

1.Dribble Kicks - Als style
Not liked by all but Naylor says it didn't sound likely to go to rules committee.
Not even what Dave D said he'd prefer where the ball has to cross the LOS or hit the first down marker to be legal.

2. Kick offs to Reduce Injuries

They discussed giving the Receiving team the option of the ball at the 40 yard line or a kick off with the exception of the final 3 minutes where they would keep kick offs to give a team a chance to do an Onside Kick.

Kick offs to open both halfs will still be done but how might might change.
They were discussing the former XFL rule where teams had to line up 5 yards apart to lessen the full out speed of defenders attacking.
Chris Jones says he'll take the 40 yard line 100 out of 100 times and undoubtedly so would other coaches so that would end kickoffs post TDs.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/~2843808
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

AAF now gone and a youtube video of a 4th and 12 situation that was scored on by the offence having just scored earlier and thus retained possession:

What about the Greg Schiano rule modified for 3 down football?

A Reddit take on the Greg Schiano Rule:

I like the Schiano rule.

After a team scores they get spot the ball on the 35 and it is 4th and 15. When you would kick it off normally, you punt the ball. When you would do an obvious onside kick, put the offense on the field. Surprise onside kicks are replaced by fake punts (or onside punts - edit by Toppy Vann)

Punts are a lot safer than kickoffs because the players don't have as much of a running start because they need to stay close to the line of scrimmage to defend against a fake/try to block it.

The problem with this plan is what to do with penalties. Maybe the sky judge can make the refs good enough or you get rid of the automatic first down for this play or something.

The xfl 2.0 did something kind of cool, 10 players on the return team lined up on their 30, 10 players on the kicking team lined up on the opponent 35. The return guy was behind them by himself, the kicker was on their 30. The kicker has to kick the ball at least to the 20 or it gets treated like a kick out of bounds, and only the kicker and the return man can move until the ball is kicked or touches the ground. If they kick the ball into the end zone on the fly it the return team gets it at the 35, if it bounces into the end zone and it's a touchback they get it at the 15. This made lots of returns and fewer injuries. I think the problem was onside kicks, no surprises, you have to declare you are doing an onside kick and then they would line up like an nfl kick. They hardly happen but I like the possibility.
Greg Schiano on his proposed Rule where punts would replace kickoffs.
"I understand traditionalists don't agree, but there used to not be the forward pass, too, and the game would be pretty boring without it, so," Schiano told reporters Friday. "I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying you've got to be able to think outside and whatever is best for the players because at the end of the day, these guys are the ones that are putting it on the line."

Schiano's idea wasn't one that came off the top of his head. He researched it during his tenure at Rutgers. He was coaching the Scarlet Knights when one of his players, Eric LeGrand, suffered a severe spinal injury on a kickoff in 2010.
https://www.nfl.com/news/greg-schiano-e ... 0000107256

https://bigredhawks.com/22310/opinion/w ... -football/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

AAF now gone and a youtube video of a 4th and 12 situation that was scored on by the offence having just scored earlier and thus retained possession:

AAF Rule in depth:

An unsuccessful AAF onside conversion attempt that given if it's now a 4th down (or 3rd in CFL) they can punt it away or do this. The losing team had just scored a FG to be behind 8 points so they gambled with 19 seconds left on the clock but failed. Note the defensive alignment to protect from a TD. I personally liked this IF they were to eliminate kick offs or make this an option over the need for an onside kick that routinely fails.
Feb 23, 2019
During a week 3 game between the Arizona Hotshots and Salt Lake Stallions, the Hotshots we’re down by 8 after kicking a field goal to make the score 23-15. They failed. There are now only two undefeated teams in the Alliance of American Football

Another successful AAF onside conversion with the team with the ball down 28 -12 with 1:41 in the 4th Q and they make long yardage on the play.