Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:45 pm
Binding on behalf of the team is what gets me and owners trying to screw players over making a buck is a time honoured tradition going back 100 years. I still say exhibition games were invented in order to not pay full player salaries.

Things have come a long way with player unions but it is still not an easy job. The CFL contract expiring on the eve of training camp has always created an unlevel playing field for negotiation imo. Every training camp attendee voting is another sweetheart clause for the CFL.

The other thing is the free pass for the GMs who make these deals and drive up prices. Some form of accountability to go along with the responsibility needs to be shown IMO. Fear of losing makes developing players less of a priority and players start to want only one year deals because the league doesn't honour the second year anyway. Ends up in a mess in a hurry.
Part of what left Dane Evans to twist in the wind as long as he did last year was that he DIDN'T have a roster bonus in his contract. Hamilton had no financial obligation to him other than training camp pay until Week 1 of the regular season. They could have kept him twisting in the wind until the end of training camp then cut him. It would have put Hamilton in a sticky spot if he had a bonus due Jan 15 as they didn't have a deal cut with BLM until after that. Nonetheless they would have to make a decision whether to pay it or cut Evans and gamble they would get him signed. Benefit to him would have been free to sign at a time where multiple teams were heading into free agency in need of a starting QB. The simple fact is the players and their agents know the risks of these bonuses and despite that they still push for them. If the GMs had their druthers nobody would get them.

As for the preseason games yes it's true players don't get regular game cheques but they do still get compensated thru training camp. From a financial perspective they do generate revenue that is used to cover some of the significant cost to run training camps which would include travel costs for the road game. Vets of 1 year of service ger $525/week, 2 years of service $625/week and 3 years of service or more $725/week. That was as per the previous CBA. They may have gotten a bump in the new one. That would be the cheap part of training camp. The cost of lodging, meals, meeting room rental , transportation and facility/equipment rentals must add up to a minimum of $200/man/day.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A nice article tonight from JC Abbott on the tough financial decisions at linebacker looming for the Lions. They have got tremendous value over the last three years at the positions starting with Jordin Williams' rookie of the year season in 2021.

Now how much are they willing to spend if they want to upgrade elsewhere.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/06/toug ... ing-corps/
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:18 pm
Part of what left Dane Evans to twist in the wind as long as he did last year was that he DIDN'T have a roster bonus in his contract. Hamilton had no financial obligation to him other than training camp pay until Week 1 of the regular season. They could have kept him twisting in the wind until the end of training camp then cut him. It would have put Hamilton in a sticky spot if he had a bonus due Jan 15 as they didn't have a deal cut with BLM until after that. Nonetheless they would have to make a decision whether to pay it or cut Evans and gamble they would get him signed. Benefit to him would have been free to sign at a time where multiple teams were heading into free agency in need of a starting QB. The simple fact is the players and their agents know the risks of these bonuses and despite that they still push for them. If the GMs had their druthers nobody would get them.

As for the preseason games yes it's true players don't get regular game cheques but they do still get compensated thru training camp. From a financial perspective they do generate revenue that is used to cover some of the significant cost to run training camps which would include travel costs for the road game. Vets of 1 year of service ger $525/week, 2 years of service $625/week and 3 years of service or more $725/week. That was as per the previous CBA. They may have gotten a bump in the new one. That would be the cheap part of training camp. The cost of lodging, meals, meeting room rental , transportation and facility/equipment rentals must add up to a minimum of $200/man/day.
Fair assessment of the reality of the situation.

Searching around it appears a players strike in 1974 led to concessions by the league related to exhibitions games prior to which players were not paid to play. Strike was settled prior to the start of the regular season when the players agreed to $150 / game and an increase of the per diem to $10. Tony Gabriel is one of the prominent names mentioned as being involved.

Considering 2024 to be the first year players are included in revenue sharing exemplifies what a struggle it has been. My hope is good ownership will take care of that kind of thing knowing that it has to work for everyone including the fans to be successful.

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/footba ... erent-time
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 pm
A nice article tonight from JC Abbott on the tough financial decisions at linebacker looming for the Lions. They have got tremendous value over the last three years at the positions starting with Jordin Williams' rookie of the year season in 2021.

Now how much are they willing to spend if they want to upgrade elsewhere.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/06/toug ... ing-corps/
The Lions have an embarrassment of riches at linebacker and can afford to lose either Woods or Hladik but not both. One complicating factor noted by Abbott is that Bo Lokombo has a $20,000 roster bonus due Feb. 1, before free agency opens. I’m sure the Lions will want to have some certainty about the position before committing to Lokombo at age 33.
don corleone
Starter

If I think of having to play Winnipeg three times in addition to a Nov. 7 Western Final playoff game potentially played in Winnipeg at night I prioritize the LB position over receiver in that situation.

Hladik is a no brainer with his size and BC roots. He warrants a contract similar to Darnell Sankey who previously signed with the Riders for $110,000 before going to the XFL. A two year deal for Hladik in the range of $250,000 should get it done. Josh Woods will be a little bit less but needs to signed as well. Bumping him to $105,000 ish and him having a big year keeps everyone happy. Varga is signed and primed.

As for Lokombo I defer to the judgement of those that have watched him play and know what he brings to the team. No question he has been a good player. Feared as a safety at one point in his career.

One thing about Hollins is with Austin Mack reportedly waiting to sign in Atlanta players on the NFL bubble may take a new look at the path he used to get back to the show being as that was the theory behind the spring leagues. I think he is brought back but don't see a big hit to the sms to go along with it. Cottoy is a higher priority imo.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:16 am
Hladik is a no brainer with his size and BC roots. He warrants a contract similar to Darnell Sankey who previously signed with the Riders for $110,000 before going to the XFL. A two year deal for Hladik in the range of $250,000 should get it done. Josh Woods will be a little bit less but needs to signed as well. Bumping him to $105,000 ish and him having a big year keeps everyone happy. Varga is signed and primed.

As for Lokombo I defer to the judgement of those that have watched him play and know what he brings to the team. No question he has been a good player. Feared as a safety at one point in his career.
Are you talking $250K per year over 2 years for Hladik? Or $250K total on a 2 year deal? $250K/year would make him the highest paid LB in the CFL by a considerable margin. $125K/year would tie him for 11th highest paid MAC or SAM based on 2023 numbers. Lokombo was listed #8 at $135.3K. $105K for Woods would tie him with Nyles Morgan for #15. I don't think those numbers get it done for either one.

They may not have to worry about Woods if his NFL workouts pay off. If they don't he'll be looking for a starting opportunity somewhere in the CFL. If BC doesn't offer it I think he's playing elsewhere in 2024. It all really points to Lokombo being in a very vulnerable position. To stay in BC he may need to rework his contract. He'll be 33 when next season starts while Woods will be 26 and Hladik and Varga both 25. As solid as Bo still is keeping the youngsters has to be a priority.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:25 am
Are you talking $250K per year over 2 years for Hladik? Or $250K total on a 2 year deal? $250K/year would make him the highest paid LB in the CFL by a considerable margin. $125K/year would tie him for 11th highest paid MAC or SAM based on 2023 numbers. Lokombo was listed #8 at $135.3K. $105K for Woods would tie him with Nyles Morgan for #15. I don't think those numbers get it done for either one.

They may not have to worry about Woods if his NFL workouts pay off. If they don't he'll be looking for a starting opportunity somewhere in the CFL. If BC doesn't offer it I think he's playing elsewhere in 2024. It all really points to Lokombo being in a very vulnerable position. To stay in BC he may need to rework his contract. He'll be 33 when next season starts while Woods will be 26 and Hladik and Varga both 25. As solid as Bo still is keeping the youngsters has to be a priority.
The $250,000 for Hladik would be over two years however they wanted to split it was what I meant but that is just me guessing. Interesting comment about Woods.

I am thinking both McManis and Pickett are looking at big pay days with Sask trying to poach them. Toronto may be looking to a guy like Woods if that happens.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

McManis and Pickett were already at the top of the food chain in 2023. McManis was the highest paid MAC/WIL at $179.8K hard money while Pickett was the 2nd highest paid SAM at $137.5K hard money behind only recently released Derrick Moncrief's $145K. Riders might be able to take a run at one but might be in tough to land both. Of course who knows if either will be available come that time.
maxlion
Legend

Re linebackers. On the one hand, it is good to deal from a position of strength, but also hard to lose young talent that the team recruited and developed.

My inclination is that starting calibre Canadians, especially when they are from BC like Hladik, are more rare and valuable than US players. Unless Woods is a truly exceptional talent, like Bighill or Elimimian (I'm not sure if he is or not), I would prioritise Hladik and find space for Varga over signing Woods. Lokombo likely needs to take a pay cut given his role the last couple of years.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Lions can pull it off re-sign both Hladik and Woods and move Lokombo to Free Safety.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Today marks the day NFL teams can start signing CFL players to futures deals. Atlanta has signed outstanding Alouettes' receiver Austin Mack. We may soon know the fate of the likes of Betts and Woods and any other Leos who have been getting workouts.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:09 am
Today marks the day NFL teams can start signing CFL players to futures deals. Atlanta has signed outstanding Alouettes' receiver Austin Mack. We may soon know the fate of the likes of Betts and Woods and any other Leos who have been getting workouts.
What a great story Mack was after the then cash strapped Als lost Geno Lewis to the Elks on that ridiculous contract (330,000 per season). Will be interesting to see if Maccocia go thru free agency to replace Mack or the affordable recruitment route again.
Can’t see how the Bombers will be able to afford Schoen given they already have two top 10 paid receivers in Lawlor ($250,000) and Demski ($175,000) and Oliveria is poised to the league’s highest paid RB. Then there’s Collaros at $600,000.
don corleone
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 pm
What a great story Mack was after the then cash strapped Als lost Geno Lewis to the Elks on that ridiculous contract (330,000 per season). Will be interesting to see if Maccocia go thru free agency to replace Mack or the affordable recruitment route again.
Can’t see how the Bombers will be able to afford Schoen given they already have two top 10 paid receivers in Lawlor ($250,000) and Demski ($175,000) and Oliveria is poised to the league’s highest paid RB. Then there’s Collaros at $600,000.
Als have Reggie White Jr as a potential Mack replacement under contract. I believe he was healthy at the end of the year. Not saying there won't be others.

Guys I think the Lions should be kicking tires on are Robertson Daniel, Shaq Richardson, or maybe Ciante Evans as a replacement for T. J. Lee. The running back market will be very interesting as well but that will go likely down to the wire for the top end guys.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 pm
Guys I think the Lions should be kicking tires on are Robertson Daniel, Shaq Richardson, or maybe Ciante Evans as a replacement for T. J. Lee. The running back market will be very interesting as well but that will go likely down to the wire for the top end guys.
The Lions have a lot of depth and experience in the secondary. I don't see them splurging for a high-priced free-agent DB if they retain their own free agents, Jalon Edwards-Cooper, Marcus Sayles and Mike Jones. Jones started several games at cornerback for Edward-Cooper, and could step in as a regular starter, with Edwards-Cooper replacing Lee if necessary at halfback, a position he played as a rookie. Siriman Bagayogo showed great development during his rookie year and could be ready for regular duty as a national cornerback. Quincy Mauger spent time last year at safety, halfback and SAM, and could start at any of those positions, especially if the Lions want to start a national (Adrian Greene or Bagayogo) in the secondary.
don corleone
Starter

Barring injury I see Gary Peters and Quincy Mauger locked in at boundary corner and safety with possibly Bagayogo ready to start at field corner. Sounds like they could fill the halfback positions with any two of the three of Sayles, Edwards-Cooper, or Jones provided they fit the budget and can do the job. I would have less concern about Sayles going on past history but having the ability to play corner and half makes for a versatile group. Some depth required. I wouldn't change much but if someone left I would try to fill the hole with experience and have the secondary remain a strength of the team. Also see they have a number of DBs listed who I assume are special teamers.