Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
Starter

Regarding linebackers and about playing the Bombers three times, one player that gave them trouble every time they played was Patrick Levels. Only 29. Possibly not a Rick Campbell guy. Chris Edwards is another I would gamble on and likely another not a Campbell favorite. Woods plays a similar game and I assume they will do their best to sign him to a multi year deal if they can.

My guess is Hladik is already re-signed or will be soon. He played well. Varga was a mini sensation.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Chris Edwards?!?!?! Admittedly he seemed low maintenance as a Lion. Since then he's been nothing short of nuts. I think he's played himself out of the CFL with his antics. He makes Duron Carter look like a choir boy. Zero room or tolerance for a guy who gets into post game dustups with fans or tries punching opponents while shaking hands after the game is over not to mention other ridiculous behavior that belongs only in the WWE
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:59 pm
Chris Edwards?!?!?! Admittedly he seemed low maintenance as a Lion. Since then he's been nothing short of nuts. I think he's played himself out of the CFL with his antics. He makes Duron Carter look like a choir boy. Zero room or tolerance for a guy who gets into post game dustups with fans or tries punching opponents while shaking hands after the game is over not to mention other ridiculous behavior that belongs only in the WWE
Agreed. I lost all respect for Orlondo Steinauer for tolerating Edwards’ disgraceful conduct last year.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:59 pm
You are not alone in your opinion. I see him as a play maker. Aside from not being politically correct he executed the fake handshake and shove as well as any I have ever seen. It's going to show up on a highlight reel somewhere and guaranteed it was payback . We'll see if he gets signed.

I wasn't saying so much that the Lions need a guy like that because they have Rugamba but those kind of guys coming off the edge have had good success playing Winnipeg.
David
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:37 am
I see him as a play maker.
You see him as a play maker, I see him as a trouble maker. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
don corleone
Starter

David wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:15 pm
don corleone wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:37 am
I see him as a play maker.
You see him as a play maker, I see him as a trouble maker. :wink:

DH :cool:
Exactly. Two differing opinions.

Also trying to avoid painting myself into a corner over Chris Edwards. Sign josh Woods and the Lions have a solid group at that position with youth on their side.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dan Ralph of the Canadian Press says he’s heard the Lions have re-signed Terry Williams.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:22 am
Dan Ralph of the Canadian Press says he’s heard the Lions have re-signed Terry Williams.
Williams is a decent kick returner and depth 5'9" 170lb WR, but I'd rather see a 200+lb depth RB as a KR.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:22 am
Ralph appears to be getting info fed to him from Florida based agent Kenny Kim who represents a number of CFL players.

Given what Campbell/McElvoy are facing in the new year with a full salary cap to work with probably a smart move by Williams to accept whatever scraps remain of the 2023 cap for at least a small signing bonus.

Meanwhile Woods continued his NFL workout tour in New England Friday.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The question of whether Dane Evans would re-sign in BC was answered today when he announced he retiring from football via his Instagram account.

Will be interesting to see where the Lions go from here and how much they are willing to spend on a back-up QB.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:25 pm
The question of whether Dane Evans would re-sign in BC was answered today when he announced he retiring from football via his Instagram account.

Will be interesting to see where the Lions go from here and how much they are willing to spend on a back-up QB.
Probably not surprising. There was not going to be a role for him in the league any better than what he had last year. Time to call it a career.

In a Grey Cup hosting year the Lions will want some sort of veteran presence behind Adams. It will cost them more than minimum. How much more and on whom??????
dpoe
Starter

Bo Levi on a one year deal?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

dpoe wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:55 pm
If he wants to take an 80% cut in pay........maybe. Given the lack of options Hamilton might just stick with him and Taylor Powell. Their combined salaries are reasonable for a starter/backup.

The list of pending FA QBs is short and not overly appealing. If Evans is retiring what is left is:

BCL - Dom Davis
SSK - Jake Dolegala, Mason Fine
WPG - Dru Brown, Dakota Prukop
OTT - Nick Arbuckle
HAM - Kai Locksley, Mathew Shiltz

And of course there's still Chris Streveler bouncing around NFL cups of coffee and tryouts and McLeod Bethel-Thompson who isn't coming back up here unless he's offered a starting job and starter money.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:11 pm
dpoe wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:55 pm
If he wants to take an 80% cut in pay........maybe. Given the lack of options Hamilton might just stick with him and Taylor Powell. Their combined salaries are reasonable for a starter/backup.

The list of pending FA QBs is short and not overly appealing. If Evans is retiring what is left is:

BCL - Dom Davis
SSK - Jake Dolegala, Mason Fine
WPG - Dru Brown, Dakota Prukop
OTT - Nick Arbuckle
HAM - Kai Locksley, Mathew Shiltz

And of course there's still Chris Streveler bouncing around NFL cups of coffee and tryouts and McLeod Bethel-Thompson who isn't coming back up here unless he's offered a starting job and starter money.
My guess would be Fine. 1. Cheap cap wise (with all these free agents to sign) 2. Can run Maas style offense quick short passes

Schlitz and brown will get 1a jobs.
Dolegala prob back up in Regina.
Arbuckle is done .. maybe #3 in CGY
Prokup and locksley are 3rd done qb only. Dom is done.
Streveler 1a job
MBT #1 / 1a job in Ottawa, Hamilton or Edmonton.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The one name that I didn't offer up 2 posts ago and intrigues me as perhaps being the purrfect fit as Adams' backup and veteran presence for a Grey Cup hosting year is......Jeremiah Masoli.

Before anybody lights the torches hear me out. I fully understand the injury baggage he brings. However we're not looking for an every game and every down starter. We're looking for somebody to step in for a few reps here and there and maybe pinch hit for a start or two. I think Ottawa will move on either with an MBT or the kids Adams and Crum along with possibly Brown. They will have a decision to make in 2 weeks when a $100K roster bonus comes due. Other than that he has proven himself as a starter and brings an impeccable reputation as a true pro, leader and team first team mate. If Ottawa does cut him loose I think he can be had for a deal very similar to Evans last year.