WEST FINAL LEOS BOMBERS POST GAME THOUGHTS

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Wanna-b-fanboy
prospect

David wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:32 pm
Wanna-b-fanboy, maybe you can help me understand something that has been burning since last Saturday. And it's not sour grapes. Just genuine curiosity as I sat there and watched their dominance.

How are the Bombers able to field a veritable all-star team and stay within the CFL's SMS?

Sure, some have taken less to play "For the W," but Collaros alone is making $600K. Then add in stars like Willie Jefferson, Jackson Jeffcoat, Kenny Lawler, Brady Oliveira, Adam Bighill, Nik Demski, Jemarcus Hardrick etc. I don't know how they're doing it. They list 12 men on the 1-game IR, another 3 on the 6-game IR and 6 more on the PR.

The cynic in me was thinking creative accounting, side deals, money under the table. But that may be unfair. I would be interested in your take.

DH :cool:
I am just a fan with no insider knowledge at all and merely post my takes and speculations.

With that said... I think it's a few factors:

-The Bomber discount is a real thing. Lawler, Biggie, Sheed (took a HUGE discount- it's well documented Link below) Numerous other vets took discounts.

-our #1 receiver is on a rookie contract.

Huge savings at the end of last year due to Injuries and so forth. we had enough to go grab Lawler at the end but he was injured. so with all the money saved, Walters used a boat load of the 2022 cap savings and used it to restructure a bunch of contracts that were due bonuses in 2023 and paid them with the cap surplus of 2022. So yeah, I would say creative accounting is a thing too.

-The stars get lucrative sales and ad gigs from the local businesses (Vernaus Autobody & Collision Centre with Biggie come to mind- and that awful jingle :rotf: )

-IR shenanigans for sure. Every team does this, and I am ok with it as long as it's not abused its a solid way of paying that player who isn't there yet at making the roster but too good to be on the PR and needs to get a bit of a bump.

As for money under the table? Nah- everyteam is much more savvy than that- they get perks here and there- like Lawler got a free Jeep rental/lease from a dealership (ironically, it was one of his legal issues too- they sued him or something because he was supposed to return it undamaged- link below)

Anyway- that's my take on things on the cap side of things blue and gold.

nothing glaringly unfair and as close to cheating as Chris Jones and the riders stashing unsigned players that were working out with the team...

HOpe that helps?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rasheed ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/winn ... 4029424130
Wanna-b-fanboy
prospect

don corleone wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:04 am
Wanna-b-fanboy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm
Rick Campbell and Justin McInnis are voting members on the CFL Rules committee. I applauded all those who are volunteering to make our League better.
Bet you had to look that up.
ANd you'd win that bet. :good:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wanna-b-fanboy, I too believe the discount Bomber players are prepared to take (although I've only heard Lawler this year speak to that).
Lawler went for the big bucks to the Elks but no doubt found it not a team climate like the Bombers have going for them.

Also, I'd find it hard to believe that a pure community-owned team would spend over the cap as unlike the Riders where fans can buy shares giving them the ability to raise money Bombers are a community owned team without shareholders as they're not-for-profit.

I'm assuming the Lawler Jeep issue relates to what I thought I read was a drinking and driving incident where an insurer typically won't pay for damages if you're convicted. I'm not a dealer vehicle is related to the team or salary but more a side deal for a business to use the player's name.

When the Vancouver 86ers were founded they had some sort of similar deal for fans to that of the Riders but nothing this elaborate. I put some money in like (don't recall but it was under $200 I'm sure) hoping to hear the coach talk about the team and soccer. They didn't do much of that and I thought they missed a chance there.

Riders model of a shares at $250 in that market is a smart marketing move as it is really not an investment:
https://www.riderville.com/shares/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Wanna-b-fanboy
prospect

Agreed, I thought riders "Shares" was a brilliant way to raise cash, have positive engagement with the fanbase and stress the sense of community ownership.