Lions add to practice roster

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Midseason practice roster signings don't usually attract much attention, but the Lions signed 2 interesting running backs today and an offensive lineman.

One of the running backs is Vance McShane, a raw rookie from Northern Iowa who was expected to be one of five running backs battling to replace James Butler at training camp in Kamloops this year. He and his partner had a baby just before training camp, and he elected to stay home rather than report to the Lions. He was placed on the suspended list. Taquan Mizzell, who spent 2022 on the Lions' suspended list after failing to report to camp, ultimately won the starting job out of training camp this year, and Shaun Shivers was later added to the practice roster and activated for 2 games.

BJ Baylor, the other new running back, is an interesting prospect. He led the Pac 12 in rushing at Oregon State in 2021 and was a first-team conferenced all-star. He spent last season on the Atlanta Falcons practice roster after attending Green Bay's training camp. He's listed on the Lions' practice roster at his NFL weight of 205 lbs., which makes him the biggest of the Lions' backs.

The offensive lineman signed to the practice roster is O-lineman Jacky Chen, a rookie from Pace University who attended training camp with the Minnesota Vikings.
South Pender
Legend

That's interesting, B.C.Fan. I was hoping that they'd bring in some RB help as they lack real strength in that area. It's informative to see what a good larger RB can do for a team when you see what Brady Oliveira is providing in Winnipeg, or A.J. Ouellette in Toronto. In my opinion, Taquan Mizzell has been serviceable this year for the Lions, but is a little on the light side (5-10, 185) to provide a consistent threat when some tough inside running is needed.

Vance McShane appears to be a physical clone of Shaun Shivers at 5-6, 188. Shivers is actually about 5-6, 186 (he was listed as 5-5 in college) although he’s been “stretched” on the Lions’ website to 5-7. McShane’s 40 speed is a fairly pedestrian 4.65 in the 40, so slower than Shivers who ran a 4.51. B.J. Baylor is the more interesting of the two in my view. He’s 5-10, 205 with decent, albeit not elite, speed (4.55). In his 4 years at Oregon State, he had a 5.6 yd. rushing average, which is good, but he was seen as mediocre as a receiver. None of these three guys (including Shivers) tested well in the agility drills (20-yard shuttle, 3-cone drill), and neither did Mizzell. Baylor and Mizzell were about dead even in these drills.

Here’s a little information about Baylor: https://dairylandexpress.com/2022/05/18 ... bj-baylor/

Jackie Chen is a 6-5 299 lb. guard. He and McShane went undrafted in the 2023 NFL draft; Baylor went undrafted in the 2022 draft.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe this is merely a sign the Lions are now into that 4 week window when they PRs are expanded. They now list 13 on the PR. During that time many guys being brought in are more to audition for contracts to attend next year's camp than to be factors in the current year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would like to see the Lions bring in a couple of kick returners.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:29 pm
That's interesting, B.C.Fan. I was hoping that they'd bring in some RB help as they lack real strength in that area. It's informative to see what a good larger RB can do for a team when you see what Brady Oliveira is providing in Winnipeg, or A.J. Ouellette in Toronto. In my opinion, Taquan Mizzell has been serviceable this year for the Lions, but is a little on the light side (5-10, 185) to provide a consistent threat when some tough inside running is needed.

Vance McShane appears to be a physical clone of Shaun Shivers at 5-6, 188. Shivers is actually about 5-6, 186 (he was listed as 5-5 in college) although he’s been “stretched” on the Lions’ website to 5-7. McShane’s 40 speed is a fairly pedestrian 4.65 in the 40, so slower than Shivers who ran a 4.51. B.J. Baylor is the more interesting of the two in my view. He’s 5-10, 205 with decent, albeit not elite, speed (4.55). In his 4 years at Oregon State, he had a 5.6 yd. rushing average, which is good, but he was seen as mediocre as a receiver. None of these three guys (including Shivers) tested well in the agility drills (20-yard shuttle, 3-cone drill), and neither did Mizzell. Baylor and Mizzell were about dead even in these drills.

Here’s a little information about Baylor: https://dairylandexpress.com/2022/05/18 ... bj-baylor/

Jackie Chen is a 6-5 299 lb. guard. He and McShane went undrafted in the 2023 NFL draft; Baylor went undrafted in the 2022 draft.
The Bombers have Oliviera and Augustine and the Argos Ouellette and Andrew Harris and the latter two feed off each other. Ouellette claims they sub each other off basically and when Harris ripped off a couple of nice plays last game Ouellette was leading the cheers.

I too would like to see two RBs who can actually play in the same game but I've given up thinking that this BC coaching regime regards running as that important.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy