Thriller at Mosiac

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The trick plays from onside kicks like Riders Brett Lauther pulled off to start the game vs Bombers to passes from AJ Ouellette of the Argos and and Kyran Moore of the Elks for a TD to Dunbar were exciting this weekend.

CFL needs more of that.

Interestingly in the pre-game warm-up TSN panel were doing their thing and I thought it odd that the camera held on AJ Ouellette before the game throwing passes to someone not in the shot who is tossing it back. I didn't think much of it other than I didn't think it was a QB he was tossing to for some reason.

A few weeks back I think Chad Kelly was behind Centre on 3rd down and stepped back before the snap and punted.

Chad Kelly won the US nationals some 4 times for punt, pass and kick. Let him punt a few or fake them.

Fake punt with direct snaps that only Joe Galat did with Gerry Datillio in MTL as his team was poor. BC had Lui who could pass or run.
Now the kickers aren't expected to be football players as much.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 pm
The trick plays from onside kicks like Riders Brett Lauther pulled off to start the game vs Bombers to passes from AJ Ouellette of the Argos and and Kyran Moore of the Elks for a TD to Dunbar were exciting this weekend.

CFL needs more of that.

Interestingly in the pre-game warm-up TSN panel were doing their thing and I thought it odd that the camera held on AJ Ouellette before the game throwing passes to someone not in the shot who is tossing it back. I didn't think much of it other than I didn't think it was a QB he was tossing to for some reason.

A few weeks back I think Chad Kelly was behind Centre on 3rd down and stepped back before the snap and punted.

Chad Kelly won the US nationals some 4 times for punt, pass and kick. Let him punt a few or fake them.

Fake punt with direct snaps that only Joe Galat did with Gerry Datillio in MTL as his team was poor. BC had Lui who could pass or run.
Once upon a time there were offensive linemen who also kicked, but those days are long gone.

Datillio could throw, catch and kick equally as well. Canadian QBs did that.

Didn't Adams do a quick kick last week?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:25 pm
Yes, Adams punted for 44 yards to the Hamilton 11 yard line but the play was designed as an onside kick. Alex Hollins got within 5 yards of the returner and made the tackle at the 16 but the Lions didn’t fully capitalize on the element of surprise.

That was still better than two special-teams miscues by the Lions in the past two weeks. Stefan Flintoft’s attempted onside kick in the dying minutes of the same game was returned 48 yards for a touchdown by Hamilton’s Tim White to seal the victory. And Jeshwan Antwi’s 43-yard rumble on a fake punt in the fourth quarter this week gave Montreal a first down on the B.C. 22 yard line, trailing 27-25. Fortunately for the Lions, Quincy Mauger intercepted Cody Fajardo on the next play to end the threat and the Lions added an insurance touchdown to clinch the game.
Dusty
Champion

I thought the Montreal direct snap to Antwi was a REALLY well designed play. The two outside runners moved back from the LOS, one of the players close to the centre of the LOS moved to join them giving the impression of an onside kick and the Lions defenders focussed on that side of the LOS (I know that I did!). Then a direct snap to Antwi who ran to the opposite side of the field and made the first down before anyone even got close to him. I was surprised the Lions actually caught up to Antwi since they had to come such a long way to push him out of bounds. Like I said, a really well designed play and put into play at a good time in the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:25 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 pm

CFL needs more of that.

Once upon a time there were offensive linemen who also kicked, but those days are long gone.

Datillio could throw, catch and kick equally as well. Canadian QBs did that.

You might be thinking of Sonny Wade. He was long-time Als' QB in the 70s. He recorded 2087 pass attempts and 852 career punts. Datillio was credited with 1271 pass attempts, 189 rushes and 8 receptions but no punts over his 10 year career. Hamilton's Joe Zuger was another noted QB/punter with 1618 pass attempts and 1075 punts from 1962-71.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Figaro
Rookie

Don't forget Mo "The Toe" Racine for Ottawa back in the 60's. Played over 15 years. Joe Zuger brings back memories. Started as a quality DB and took over QB after Bernie Faloney I think. Hell of a punter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lots of those stories from back in the day Figaro. Jack Abendshen was a noted OL who handled PK duties for Sask. In Calgary Larry Robinson was one of their best DBs thru the 60s while also taking care of PK duties while Jerry Keeling was an all-star calibre DB from 1961 until 1969 when he took over at QB after Peter Liske departed for the NFL.

Such as it was when teams had to work with 35 man rosters.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Bombers bounced back in a big way which was hardly a surprise and not a bad thing if you want the Lions to have some breathing room for at least a 2nd place finish.

September 29-Oct 6 stretch can’t get here soon enough:
Sept 29
Toronto at Winnipeg
Saskatchewan at BC
Oct 6
Winnipeg at BC

Lions just need to take care of business the next couple of weeks including in Edmonton against the Ford led Elks