Antonio Williams gone

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

https://www.bclions.com/2023/06/27/lion ... -williams/

Pre-season it seemed to be a coin toss whether the Lions would go with Williams or Mizzell. Mizzell got the starting job, but I thought they'd be keeping Williams around longer to give him an opportunity at some point. I guess Mizzell has established himself. Bet on Williams getting another chance elsewhere?

Any idea if the new guy is related to Roy Shivers?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:29 pm
Any idea if the new guy is related to Roy Shivers?
Apparently not, as he even pronounces his name differently as SHY-vers. Neil McEvoy said on the team’s weekly radio show Tuesday that the move was made a few weeks ago but wasn’t made official until today because the Lions had a short week of preparation for Winnipeg.
David
Team Captain

I wonder if Williams was reluctant to go on the practice roster. Maybe asked for his release?

Seemed like a good guy when I heard him interviewed. But NFL pedigree, I can't say I would be surprised if he did ask for his release.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:21 pm
I wonder if Williams was reluctant to go on the practice roster. Maybe asked for his release?

Seemed like a good guy when I heard him interviewed. But NFL pedigree, I can't say I would be surprised if he did ask for his release.

Seems to be lions decision, want a certain type of back for their offense. Williams gets you 3 yards but no open field burst.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

The mindset of "why sit on a CFL practice roster when I can get a non-roster invite to an NFL camp. Right?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's tough for some to be on a PR especially if they've been paid to be on an NFL PR like Williams had.
Could be other factors too as you only want people on the PR who still have hope and who are happy.

Williams (5’11, 215 lbs)- moves north after a stint on the New York Giants’ practice roster in 2022. The New London, North Carolina native was a member of the Buffalo Bills from 2020-21, earning a promotion to the active roster in week 17 of 2020 where he rushed for a team-high 63 yards and scored a touchdown in a win over Miami. Williams was back in the lineup for the victory over Baltimore in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.
https://www.bclions.com/2023/02/14/form ... ontingent/

Jason Shivers the DC for the Riders also pronounces his family name as SHY-vers.

My high school pal named Costello wasn't pronounced like Costello of Abbot and Costello fame. That was like CosTELLO. They pronounce it more like COS- te-lo.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:50 am
David wrote:

The mindset of "why sit on a CFL practice roster when I can get a non-roster invite to an NFL camp. Right?
Doubt that's the mindset. More like "the writing is on the wall for my career."

I did hear him interviewed right after camp broke and he was highly respectful of the CFL. Didn't see much difference in the quality of play between the two leagues and admired the speed and quickness of the CFL athlete.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ryan_USA
prospect

Shivers will turn out to be a very good pick up imo.A friend of mine went to Auburn when he played there, and thinks he will be fantastic for us.
'I get no respect'-Rodney Dangerfield

:bc:
South Pender
Legend

Ryan_USA wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:37 am
Shivers will turn out to be a very good pick up imo.A friend of mine went to Auburn when he played there, and thinks he will be fantastic for us.
Darren Sproles 2.0 maybe? :hmm:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:24 am
cromartie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:50 am
David wrote:

Doubt that's the mindset. More like "the writing is on the wall for my career."

That's probably what it gets down to. When a guy comes up with the intent of working his tail off to earn the starting job and comes out with a PR spot it causes pause to think. I'm not sure what PR pay is in 2023 but in 2019 it was CDN$750/week (USD$565). When a guy is sitting on the PR getting at most 3 practices a week he has lots of time on his hands to ask himself if it's worth sticking around or if he shouldn't head back home where he seems to have some business interests.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonio-williams-36a0b717b
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.