June 1, 2023: Preseason Calgary at BC - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions have taken a quick 7-0 lead midway in the first quarter.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Adams throwing the ball at will against Calgary's second team defence but not much of a running game going. Calgary with a few good runs but not much else.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

21-3 Lions with 2:32 left in the half, Evans takes the wheel
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Pitch and catch for Lions offence entire opening half. Adams gets all receivers involved. Made a terrific throw to Rhymes after rolling away from blitz for huge play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first half was a confidence booster for Adams, even though it was against Calgary’s backups. Adams ran and went through his progressions when he had to. The lack of a running game with the first-unit O-line and running back is a concern though.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Calgary's rookie QB Chris Reynolds has been picking apart the Lions D so far.

(As I typed this, Moore snagged a very nice snack though)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions manage to pull off a last second win 25-22 after giving up a 21-0 lead. :hmm:

Too close for comfort. More improvements necessary in a week from now against the same Stampeders in Calgary.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:15 pm
Lions manage to pull off a last second win 25-22 after giving up a 21-0 lead. :hmm:

Too close for comfort. More improvements necessary in a week from now against the same Stampeders in Calgary.

Looked like they had it wrapped up with a Safety but #24 didn't try to rap up Tommy Stevens a big QB, bounced off him and Stevens ran from inside the inside zone after scrimmaging from the 3 yd line for a first down.

I'd not put a lot of stock in that game (nor most pre-season games) but some good play on the D-Line, on the offence (eg Terry Williams) and some bad drops for one receiver.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Alputt
Champion

It was a fun one from the (mostly empty) stands! I'd say no doubt VA is our man to start...

BIG buzz around LL Cool J lot's of non-regulars asking me how they can get in.
Alputt
Champion

Noticed Calgary didn't even play Jake Maier. We got no looks for next week.

Still a feel-good win at home in a nail-biter, the crowd that did show up deserved it!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A few players who had great camps followed up with big games. Justin McInmis had 2 TDs on 50-50 balls in the end zone. Terry Williams made diving catches on the sideline, as he’s been doing for a few weeks. Neither player is expected to start on offence but they can come in and make plays any time.

The biggest question mark remains the running game. Taquan Mizzell showed his shiftiness but the Lions didn’t establish much of a running game until the fourth quarter when Antonio Williams had some successful runs with Andrew Peirson, Tyler Packer and Noah Zerr as the three Canadians in the middle of the line and Phil Norman at roght tackle. All of those players are projected to be backups at best, unless Peirson supplants David Knevel at left guard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vernon Adams decision to have a week of bonding with his receivers in Tacoma at his expense definitely paid off tonight. He was decisive, when plays break down he knew exactly where his outlets are.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 pm
A few players who had great camps followed up with big games. Justin McInmis had 2 TDs on 50-50 balls in the end zone. Terry Williams made diving catches on the sideline, as he’s been doing for a few weeks. Neither player is expected to start on offence but they can come in and make plays any time.

The biggest question mark remains the running game. Taquan Mizzell showed his shiftiness but the Lions didn’t establish much of a running game until the fourth quarter when Antonio Williams had some successful runs with Andrew Peirson, Tyler Packer and Noah Zerr as the three Canadians in the middle of the line and Phil Norman at roght tackle. All of those players are projected to be backups at best, unless Peirson supplants David Knevel at left guard.
Antonio Williams looked good. Just at a break he was down injured and to me it sure seemed that Calgary was tackling him to bang him up (and maybe to win jobs). Some of those hits when he was going down with 3 tacklers seemed a bit over the top for a pre-season game but when you're trying to win a job it's expected.

The BC coaching staff and players change in BC but the offensive staff here in BC just don't see the value in the run game. As Wally once said 'it's hard to teach run blocking' so maybe it's written on a wall inside the Lions compound somewhere.

It was ironic that Calgary ran the ball rather successfully with the back-ups and The Moj and Guilio C were suggesting their backups should be given more chances to showcase if they can play in the CFL - that was until Chris Reynolds came in and he looked good despite rookie errors.

I had to miss parts of the game due to not being able to record it but the breaks the broadcast had to take in the 2nd Q IIRC were so frequently all together I could hear Guilio laughing at it's insanity.

I have no issue with the streaming, just not sure why they can't let you see it AFTER the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

Adams looked very comfortable running the offence. A good sign for sure. Should be an exciting game next week.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Alputt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:05 pm
Noticed Calgary didn't even play Jake Maier. We got no looks for next week.
I was surprised Maier didn't get a few series. He was terrible in the first pre-season game. You'ld think Dickie would want him to get a bit of work in before the season starts. Or maybe not playing him was supposed to send a message about how much confidence the Stamps have in him? I thought Tommy Stevens looked pretty good. Might be a short leash for Maier.