Doman not taking his foot off the gas - 2 day Backyard Party

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Meanwhile, the Alouettes have signed Our Lady Peace for their home opener.
https://3downnation.com/2023/05/24/our- ... me-opener/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, I like the East Coast Sound. I hope it resonates with the crowd as I would like to see more of that kind of musical tradition on the West Coast.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

*Sigh* I heard multiple radio ads on AM730 during the game today hyping up the June 17 home opener at 4:00pm. Nothing about a pre-game concert kick-off though. Only the backyard street party with The Trews. I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes right now.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are planning to announce the opening game musical performer at halftime of Thursday’s
preseason game. Until then, they’re holding a contest asking people to guess who it will be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

LLCoolJ it is. Can't say I saw that coming........or even know what he does other than hip-hop. Still will no doubt resonate with the demographic that is much younger than me.......and that's a good thing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:02 pm
LLCoolJ it is. Can't say I saw that coming........or even know what he does other than hip-hop. Still will no doubt resonate with the demographic that is much younger than me.......and that's a good thing.
This should definitely bring a crowd.

Terrific song in this story for football- Mama Said Knock You Out.

You don't have to be a fan to like the beat in this song.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015 ... rthed%20an

Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years
I'm rockin' my peers, puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go boom
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the competition, I'm towerin'
Wrecking shop, when I drop
These lyrics that'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare
You better move, don't ever compare
Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's payin' the price

This is a bit R rated for the family crowd lol

"Doin' It"

"It's our first time together and I'm feeling kinda horny
Conventional methods of makin' love kinda bore me
I wanna knock your block off, get my rocks off
Blow your socks off make sure your G spots soft
I'ma call you Big Daddy and scream your name
Matter fact I can't wait for your candy rain
So whatcha sayin'? I get my swerve on, bring it live
Make it last forever, damn the kitty cat's tight
Mmm, daddy slow down your flow
Put it on me like G baby nice and slow
I need a rough neck nigga, Mandingo in the sack
Who ain't afraid to pull my hair and spank me from the back
No doubt, I'm the playa that you're talkin' about
But do you really think that you can work it out?
I guarantee shorty it's real, baby stick it out
Here comes the man of steel"

Accident Racist got a lot of news - not all positive despite its objectives:

There was the famous SNL Weekend Update in '87 featuring the controversial song:

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a fan of hip hop but if it attracts a big crowd, then I'm for it. Whatever it takes.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:26 am
Not a fan of hip hop but if it attracts a big crowd, then I'm for it. Whatever it takes.
I'm with you. If it fills BC Place, bring it on. Those who don't enjoy can hang in the concourse.

Ladies Love Cool James (LL Cool J) is not my favourite but I agree.
Once I heard that LL Cool J name source, it was like a bad wreck, hard to forget lol.

Some of this stuff I like when I see rap artists on SNL or Youtube but at the same time a lot of it is just weird *poop* that rhymes.
The players will like this - given what they have running at practices.

No one can accuse Doman of being "woke" here - the word that gets weaponized so much these days.
Some of his lyrics like in a lot of music today if you overanalyze could lead to a protest LOL.

Doman must have really done some talking as he's wasn't planning on Vancouver it seems.

The Straight article says:
The two-time Grammy winner announced earlier this year his first headline tour in 30 years, which is slated to hit two dozen cities around the US and Toronto, the tour’s only Canadian stop.
"The 55-year-old rapper will be joined in Vancouver by DJ and producer Z-Trip, a pioneer of the mashup movement and recipient of America’s Best DJ award in 2009."

https://www.straight.com/bc-lions-2023- ... -ll-cool-j

Here is Z-Trip in a full jammed stadium!

He can get a crowd going it seems.
Comments on youtube say he has been a warm up for Dave Grohl's Foo Fighters so that's in the 80 K range.

https://djztrip.com/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am

Doman must have really done some talking as he's wasn't planning on Vancouver it seems.

The two-time Grammy winner announced earlier this year his first headline tour in 30 years, which is slated to hit two dozen cities around the US and Toronto, the tour’s only Canadian stop.
"The 55-year-old rapper will be joined in Vancouver by DJ and producer Z-Trip, a pioneer of the mashup movement and recipient of America’s Best DJ award in 2009."
LLCJ hasn't performed in concert since 2015. When Doman came calling I'm thinking he was able to offer LLCJ what amounted to a preseason game to prepare for the regular season being the tour. Great opportunity for him to get any kinks out prior to starting the tour the following weekend in Boston. Maybe spend a bit studio time while in Vancouver.
David
Team Captain

Lol, the Lions held an online contest in which they were giving away a prize pack to the winning entry of "Guess the Artist" for the home opener.

Colour me shocked if anyone guessed LL Cool J. :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
do you know he has been up til now, a main character on NCIS Los Angeles?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:54 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:14 am

LLCJ hasn't performed in concert since 2015. When Doman came calling I'm thinking he was able to offer LLCJ what amounted to a preseason game to prepare for the regular season being the tour. Great opportunity for him to get any kinks out prior to starting the tour the following weekend in Boston. Maybe spend a bit studio time while in Vancouver.
I was aware he's in one of the NCIS franchises as I just can't get over calling yourself LLCool J and admitting it means "Ladies Like Cool James" . For me that's a WTF!!!! If the ladies like you, do you really need to advertise that? LOL. Only the likes of Muhammad Ali could get away with saying bragging words like "I am the greatest" and not be challenged.

I didn't actually check the order of the tour dates but you must have as that headline tour doesn't start until June 25.
JUNE
25 – Boston, MA, TD Garden
27 – Brooklyn, NY, Barclays Center
28 – Newark, NJ, Prudential Center
29 – Toronto, ON, Scotiabank Arena
And.....it's been 30 years since he's been the headline act. Bold move with some 24 tour dates BUT these days the folks that love these older acts have money.
LL Cool J has revealed his first headline tour in 30 years – featuring the likes of The Roots, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Salt-N-Pepa and many more.
Z-Trip coming to Vancouver with him for the Lions gig is a good move as that video of him rocking the massive DC crowd suggests he'll maybe open and get the crowd rocking.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/ll-cool- ... rs-3436433
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:28 pm
Hambone wrote:
do you know he has been up til now, a main character on NCIS Los Angeles?
He has a ton of acting credits in both film and TV going as far back as 1985.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:28 pm

I was aware he's in one of the NCIS franchises as I just can't get over calling yourself LLCool J and admitting it means "Ladies Like Cool James" . For me that's a WTF!!!! If the ladies like you, do you really need to advertise that? LOL.
Given the wide gamut of bizarre handles rappers go by I don't think he'd get much mileage or marketability out of calling himself by his real name, James Smith. :wink:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

LL Cool J is actually a great pick. He’s not an artist that a lot of people in Vancouver would rush to see, but as an opening act for the home-opener he ticks a lot of boxes. He’s got big name recognition, he will be a great hype man for the Lions, and with only a short set list a lot of people will recognize his biggest hits. LL will be excellent “added value” that will make the home opener an EVENT (Vancouver is an event town) but he won’t overshadow the main event of the night. Nobody will be going to the game only to see LL Cool J and that’s important. It would be too easy to sell out the stadium by having Taylor Swift sing a few songs, but then what happens when a football game begins? I think a lot of people who would normally not attend an LL Cool J concert OR a BC LIons game will come away with positive experience with both.