Training camp 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kevin Thomson back with the Lions ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:57 pm
Kevin Thomson back with the Lions ?
No, that was my mistake. I meant rookie Judd Erickson. I've corrected my post.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Day 2 of main camp Monday in Kamloops was a lot like Day 1, just an hour shorter.

Garry Peters arrived a day late and was on the field for the first time at boundary corner, where Mike Jones filled in Sunday. David Menard took reps at DE, where he and Mathieu Betts appear to be alternating again. There were no other changes in the first-team defence.

On offence, all four running backs got some some reps with the first team. The coaches appear to want them all to get an equal shot at what will likely be the only open starting position on either side of the ball. The remainder of the first-team offence was unchanged from Sunday. Keon Hatcher again took limited reps at slotback while nursing a reported foot injury. Daniel Petermann and Justin McInnis again alternated at his position.

Once again, the first-team defence shut down the first-team offence, and the entire offence did pushups at the end of practice for the second straight day.

Vernon Adams again struggled to find open receivers. Unofficially, he completed 1 of 5 passes in team play at the end of practice, with a knockdown at the line and an interception by Ben Hladik on a deflection. (Marcus Sayles may have been guilty of interference on the play.) Adams was marginally better in skelly, completing 8 of 12 passes but most were short and at least a couple came after likely sacks.

Dom Davis took his turn with the second-team offence, made quick reads, delivered the ball on time and had more success throwing downfield,. Davis completed 2-of 3 passes in team play, with a knockdown by rookie DB Josh Flowers. Davis was a near-purrfect 9 of 10 in skelly, with a knockdown by Josh Woods at the line. (Woods is wearing No. 2 this year after giving up his old No. 3 to Adams.)

Dane Evans, playing mostly with the third team today, also looked good, completing all 3 of his passes in team play and 4 of 5 in skelly. His only incompletion was a drop by RB Taquan Mizzell on a swing pass.

Rookie Judd Erickson got a few reps with the third team in skelly, completing all 3 of his passes.

On special teams, kickers Sean Whyte and Kieran Burnham both were efficient, hitting easily from 50 yards. Burnham could probably hit from 60 or more if needed but I don't think his strong leg will be enough to unseat Whyte.

Riley Pickett and Maxime Rouyer again shared reps at long snapper. Rouyer had one high snap and one low snap but at least that's an improvement on what we've seen previously.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm adding my voice to the chorus of grateful thanks for your reports from camp, B.C.FAN. Very much appreciated.
I'm wondering if you (or any others who might be there in Kamloops observing the action) could perhaps describe the styles and skills of the 4 running backs?
Who is a jitterbug type and who is more of a power back, for instance. And which backs seem the better blockers (help protecting QB) and which are better at catching the ball. Or is it still too early to tell them apart?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:01 pm
I'm adding my voice to the chorus of grateful thanks for your reports from camp, B.C.FAN. Very much appreciated.
I'm wondering if you (or any others who might be there in Kamloops observing the action) could perhaps describe the styles and skills of the 4 running backs?
Who is a jitterbug type and who is more of a power back, for instance. And which backs seem the better blockers (help protecting QB) and which are better at catching the ball. Or is it still too early to tell them apart?
Thanks Ernie. It's too early to know for sure but my very early impression is that Antonio Williams is more of a power back, and at 215 lbs. he outweighs most of his competitors by 30 lbs. Taquan Mizzell is more of a jitterbug who can find ways to squeeze through holes, while Raymond Calais is also small and quick with good hands and NFL experience (and a Super Bowl ring) as a kick returner. I haven't seen much from Buddy Howell yet. If the Lions keep two backs, I can see them using either Williams or Howell with one of the smaller backs. I doubt that either Mizzell or Calais would have the durability to be an every-down back.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If it wasn't for B. C. Fan and his training camp reports Lion fans wouldn't have a clue what's happening with the Lions. Global Squire Barnes is a joke. He's more interested in flirting with Sophie Lui and trying to be a comedian rather reporting on the local sports teams.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:40 pm
If it wasn't for B. C. Fan and his training camp reports Lion fans wouldn't have a clue what's happening with the Lions. Global Squire Barnes is a joke. He's more interested in flirting with Sophie Lui and trying to be a comedian rather reporting on the local sports teams.
I'm a Squire fan. He can only be as good on Lions camp as Global wants to invest in boots on the ground. If they don't send somebody and a cameraman up to gather info he has not much to work with.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Clash Dance
Rookie

Thank you B.C. Fan. Better reporting than most of our local media. Just need to get you on more platforms to reach the casual fans.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

More great stuff BC FAN. Will be very interesting to see how their D-line rotation shakes out. Teuhema had an excellent rookie season, finishing second on the team in sacks (8) and eventually sending Gwacham off the active roster in the playoffs. Now they have signed Lemon after his big year and he has taken Teuhema’s DE spot. Is there room for four American DL (Barron and Banks too) on the active roster with all the national depth and their best Global DeBaillie?
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:20 pm
More great stuff BC FAN. Will be very interesting to see how their D-line rotation shakes out. Teuhema had an excellent rookie season, finishing second on the team in sacks (8) and eventually sending Gwacham off the active roster in the playoffs. Now they have signed Lemon after his big year and he has taken Teuhema’s DE spot. Is there room for four American DL (Barron and Banks too) on the active roster with all the national depth and their best Global DeBaillie?
They played with 4 last year in 8 man rotation most games. Lemon qualifies for a veteran spot. He can come in and we can go down to 6 cdns for 30 snaps. They usually spend 1 DI spot on a DE anyways.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Day 3 of main camp Tuesday was another spirited double practice in the hot Kamloops sun.

Again all four running backs got time with first team. Taquan Mizzell had a couple of good runs in team play. SB Keon Hatcher again took limited reps and was replaced in team play Daniel Petermann and Justin McInnis. There were no other changes on offence. On defence, Mathieu Betts and David Menard alternated at DE on the first team. There were no changes otherwise.

Dane Evans led the second team offence, where he is rotating daily with Dom Davis.

The first-team offence had its best day by far. Unofficially Vernon Adams completed 11 of 13 passes in team play, including a couple of intermediate post patterns to Dominique Rhymes and McInnis. Adams completed 7 of 7 in skelly, including a deep fly pattern to Rhymes behind Marcus Sayles.

Evans completed 8 of 10 passes, including a deep over shoulder catch by Terry Williams, who made 3 clutch catches on the day and has been impressive as second team WR, making several sideline grabs that can extend drives. DB Colby Williams had two knockdowns.

Davis completed 4 of 6 passes in team play, with an interception by rookie draft pick Jassin States-McClean and 2 interceptions in skelly.

Rookie Judd Erickson was 0 for 2 in limited reps, with a deep knockdown by LB Henry Yianakopolos.

For the first time, several defensive players did pushups at the end of the final team session.

Special teams, unfortunately, again featured the most dreadful long-snapping I've seen since I attended my first training camp over 50 years ago. The kickers and punters are all good when they get a chance, but that hasn't been the case since the start of rookie camp. David Mackie, Maxime Rouyer and Riley Pickett all had reps at long snapper. Mackie has done well in limited reps but the Lions have insisted on giving the majority of reps to others. At one point Rouyer sailed three straight snaps over head of rookie punter Cesar Barajas. The next snap was low, followed by a high snap that made Barajas jump, the next one was low, then a high snap went through the hands of Barajas. Mackie watched all but the last snap while sitting out the drill.

Pickett snapped on field goals and delivered a low snap that skipped on the turf and a high snap that disrupted the timing on a 49-yard attempt by Sean Whyte, which came up short.

The Lions and other CFL teams must cut their rosters by about 10 players before Wednesday to get down to 75 plus non-counters.

Players are back on the turf at Hillside Stadium Wednesday for an afternoon double practice from 1:30 to 5 p.m.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder what Tanner Doll is doing these days ?
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:08 pm
If doll is holding out for more $, he is going to get every cent. What a clusterf*ck.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions released 9 American players Wednesday to get down to the league-mandated limit of 75 plus non-counters. The biggest name was running back Raymond Calais, who won a Super Bowl ring as a kick returner with the L.A. Rams. That leaves Taquan Mizzell, Antonio Williams and Buddy Howell as the remaining contenders for the starting running back position.
The BC Lions this morning announced the following players have been released from the training camp roster:

American kicker Cesar Barajas
American defensive back Elijah Benton
American wide receiver Cole Blackman
American running back Raymond Calais
American linebacker Robert Holt
American offensive lineman Quinn Oseland
American wide receiver Kevin Shaa
American defensive back Tre Webb
American linebacker Henry Yianakopolos
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:51 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:08 pm
If doll is holding out for more $, he is going to get every cent. What a clusterf*ck.
The pay range for longsnappers can't possibly be more than min to min+10%. Unless he had unrealistic expectations to be paid outside that range which would likely make him the highest paid LS in the CFL then he should have been an easy re-signing for BC. Nothing about his play pointed to BC needing an upgrade thus I can't see them wanting to replace him for likely the same money. With that I'm thinking playing football was not Doll's highest priority for 2023 and that for now he's opting to do something else.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.