Superbowl

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ouch, a tough way to end what was a pretty good game. Weak penalty extends a drive allowing the Chiefs to essentially run out the clock. Crappy way to end a game.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

But a great performance by Patrick Mahomes in the second half by scoring in every possession in the second half which shows why he is NFL MVP. This was especially true after Mahomes allegedly injured his ankle in end of the first half but still managed to make a huge scramble in the last possession to set up the game winning field goal.

Two side issues:

#1.
In the last few years, there's been huge political correctioness with regards to Native American sports nicknames such as:

Washington Redskins to Commanders
Cleveland Indians to Guardians
Edmonton Eskimos to Elks

That said, will Kansas City be forced to change their names from Chiefs?
This is especially true given the fact that sometimes at the game, that Native American dance tune was played by the PA announcer.

#2.
The city of Philadelphia is certainly cursed in the last few months and there must be so much sadness and melancholy both today and three months ago. Back on November 5, 2022 the Philadelphia Union lost the 2022 MLS Cup to the Los Angeles FC and then a few hours later the Philadelphia Phillies lost the 2022 World Series to the Houston Astros and as a result, for the first time a U.S. city to lost two major league sports championships on the same day. Three months later today, the Philadelpha Flyers lost at home to the Seattle Kraken after taking an early lead which became a prelude with the Eagles lost the lead and Super Bowl as well on the same day.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't understand why the running back intentionally grounded the ball on the one yard line.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:29 pm
Don't understand why the running back intentionally grounded the ball on the one yard line.
To waste time of course. The Eagles were forced to use their timeouts and the Chielfs ran down the clock so that by the time the Eagles go the ball back, there was only about 8 seconds left.

Had the Chiefs scored at that play, there would still be plenty of time at about 1 minute and 30 seconds for the Eagles to tie up the game.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Realize the intent was to use as much time as possible. Would have been interesting and alot of second guessing if they miss the field goal.
Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm
Realize the intent was to use as much time as possible. Would have been interesting and alot of second guessing if they miss the field goal.
Lots of ways it could go wrong. If the Chiefs score and kick a PAT (the most likely scenario), there would be enough time for the Eagles to go down the field and score a TD. Then the ball is in their court to either tie the game or go for the 2 points to win. The way Hurts was playing, it was conceivable that the Eagles could have scored the 2 pointer to win. Kicking the chip shot field goal was the prudent play.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm
Realize the intent was to use as much time as possible. Would have been interesting and a lot of second-guessing if they miss the field goal.
I agree.

Imagine if they missed the FG as their kicker had hit the uprights earlier and looked a bit jittery on the sidelines and then lost the game given that both teams this year in playoffs get a chance to score:
Are overtime rules different in Super Bowl?
Under the NFL's overtime rules at the time, a touchdown on the opening drive automatically ended a game. The rules were changed this year, for postseason games only, allowing for both teams to have possession of the ball in overtime.

I enjoyed the game and it didn't matter who won for me, but I hoped he had missed the FG just to make it interesting.

Had the FG been missed and it went to OT I'd have been pulling for the Eagles.

I liked how the Eagles set up to approach 4th down as a short-run play but found it odd that the only run plays that got traction were the QBs.
The Eagles weren't afraid to throw downfield either and got the 45 yd TD that way.

I know the opening game chants by Chiefs fans weren't appreciated by indigenous people who take that as a slight. Not sure how to eliminate that other than a name change that I doubt will happen.

Given that the game was played in Arizona the Eagles should challenge this stolen victory in the courts as I'm certainly not sure the Chiefs won haha.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rock legend Dave Grohl thanks Canada for inventing football in Super Bowl commerical

Great ad using good guy Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters fame who most think is a genuine good guy.

The list of inventions in Canada is extensive! Great ad.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/13/rock ... ommerical/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy