Bryan Burnham retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Not a big surprise with a young family at home but it's still sad to see such a talented and loyal Lion hang up the cleats.

Bryan Burnham retires
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That's a big loss for BC and the CFL. A slam dunk for the CFL HOF.

Adopting a family as he has with his wife at home in Tulsa and some injuries makes this not much of a surprise to hear.

Good that BC has some talented receivers but you're not going to easily replace this guy!

A four-time CFL All-Star, five-time West Division All-star selection and 2019 team finalist for CFL Most Outstanding Player, Burnham would go on to suit up in 105 regular season contests with the Lions and quickly established himself as one of the league’s top receivers and biggest highlight-reel machines.

Burnham is fourth on the Lions’ all-time list with 476 receptions and 7,212 receiving yards while his 42 touchdown receptions are good for seventh amongst all-time Lion receivers.
Same kind of article on 3 Down Nation:
Burnham was named a CFL all-star for the first time in 2017 after making 81 receptions for 1,202 yards and seven touchdowns. He had two more 1,000-yard seasons, including a career-best 1,491 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2019.
The Tulsa product finished his career with 476 catches for 7,212 yards and 42 touchdowns. He ranks fourth all-time in B.C. history in receptions and receiving yardage and seventh all-time in touchdown receptions. He was a four-time CFL all-star and five-time West Division all-star selection.
https://3downnation.com/2022/12/06/five ... b-c-lions/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

I remember watching him in his first game and taking note that he was a very talented receiver.

Burnham has it all; speed, strength, determination, best hands in the biz, and is a great community ambassador.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Not surprising news, we all agree. But big news all the same. Bryan Burnham was the right package IMO, a stellar player and just a real fine man. For those reasons he's a top five receiver in my book, no matter from what angle you look at his career with the Lions. I will miss his titillating catches, and his easy-going good-natured yet intense character as a teammate with his fellow Leos. Wishing all the very best for Bryan and family--with thanks. The Lions have posted a real solid video of appreciation featuring recent sit-down interview and career highlights. https://www.bclions.com/2022/12/06/watc ... mily-life/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think I would have to say he was the best all round receiver the Lion's have ever had and probably the best set of hands I have ever seen. There have been some great receivers over the years in the CFL and not to take away anything from any of them but he was King of the circus catch. And like others have said a classy player and person to boot. Big loss to fans everywhere IMO.

Thanks Bryan. I hope the next stage of your life is a great one. Good luck with the new additions.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One of the greatest to don the Black and Orange. I had the honour and privilege to watch him for 8 years. Thanks for the memories.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Mixed emotions on this one as it’s rare seeing a player retire when he is right up there among the league best still. So glad he leaves on his own terms and has known this all along.
Would have had a monster season in this offence without those 2 serious injuries. Was at his best in that 41-40 thriller at McMahon back in August.
Fitting his final catch at BC Place was for a TD in a playoff game.
Thanks for the memories and being such class act #16.
Dusty
Champion

It has been a real pleasure to watch Bryan make those remarkable and exceptional catches look like "expected" catches. As said by others, he exemplifies what being a 'team guy" really means.

Best wishes in your new life chapter.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott’s tribute to Burnham is a must read.

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/07/brya ... -a-father/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 am
JC Abbott’s tribute to Burnham is a must read.

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/07/brya ... -a-father/
That is a brilliantly crafted, heart-felt tribute with a lot of great content from Bryan Burnham to work with!

A great philosophy to live by.

“Every day running into the parking lot to the practice facility, I would take a slow walk to the door and just kind of look around and take it all in. I’d get to the door and just take a deep breath and tell myself to go make the most of this day,” the future Ring of Honour selection said of his final season, noting that not even the team’s playoff defeat could sour it.
“As much as it hurt to lose that game being so close to the Grey Cup, I couldn’t have asked for a better ending to my career because it was real Canadian football. It was cold. It was snowing. It was loud. Man, I enjoyed it, I really did. And I just wanted to sit there at the end and really take it all in one last time.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Wow. Top-notch article all round! -- both the subject (Bryan Burnham) and the author (JC Abbott). Perfectly quotable stuff from both gentleman.
I see a good man's legacies both on and off the field of play; now the finishing touch to one (football career), and nicely underway with the other (fatherhood).
We will miss #16.
David
Team Captain

Selfishly, I was hoping he could keep playing with us for another couple of years. But as I reflect on a career full of miraculous catches, a 2018 home game vs Hamilton stands out for the sheer improbability of both the catch and the comeback W.

The Leos were down by eight points with just 33 seconds left in the 4th quarter, scrimmaging from their own 35-yard line and fans heading for the exits in droves.

Burnham caught a 20-yard TD pass from Jennings with zeroes on the clock. Then a sublime 2-pt convert (catch) sent the game to overtime (and the OT win). As much as he's known for his velcro hands, Bryan should also be remembered for his sweet feet!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I still give a PG buddy the gears over that game David. As I've always done for all sporting events I attend I never leave my seat until the final gun, whistle, buzzer or out regardless of how out of reach the game might be. There has been only one exception that being the 1983 NASL Soccer Bowl at BC Place. That was so painfully boring our group of 8 left for a peeler bar with still a good 15 minutes to go.

Anyways that Hamilton game had been a very lackluster effort by BC really right up until the final minute or two. With about 5 minutes left my buddy texted to say he'd had enough and he and his wife were headed off to Doolins and told me to meet them there. He was in disbelief when I texted back a few minutes later to tell him it was going into OT. They saw the end of the game looking through the windows of Doolins while waiting in line to get in. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.