Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Tonight I learned that Delvin Breaux III retired. Not hugely surprised there.

My fear is that Bryan Burnham will be announcing his retirement. Nothing to go on here, just a gut when he was consoling Rourke post-game. I hope I'm wrong.

Has anyone else played their final game in black and orange?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David, I dearly hope we're wrong about our gut feeling re Burnham, as I came away with the same. Factor in that Bryan will be 33 next season, and suffered more than his share of injuries this season, and likely most importantly---he and his wife have one recently adopted child and two additional foster kids all under the age of 5. That's a lot on the family plate, and being far-removed here in BC might not fit the plan. It makes me sigh to even think he may retire, but I won't be surprised. Like you, hope I'm wrong. When I think of the Lions, he comes first to mind---he's been special throughout his years with us.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll be disappointed if Burnham retires. He still have a lot of gas in the tank.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

3 Down Nation’s list of Lions free agents:

Quarterback
Michael O’Connor (N)
Antonio Pipkin (A)

Running back

James Butler (A)

Fullback

David Mackie (N)
Mario Villamizar (N)

Receiver
Bryan Burnham (A)
Shai Ross (N)
Jacob Scarfone (N)

Offensive line
Jarell Broxton (A)
Sukh Chungh (N)
Joel Figueroa (A)
Peter Godber (N)
David Knevel (N)
Andrew Peirson (N)

Defensive line
Josh Banks (A)
Obum Gwacham (A)
David Menard (N)

Linebacker

Boseko Lokombo (N)

Defensive back
Delvin Breaux (A)
Isaiah Guzylak-Messam (N)
Hakeem Johnson (N)
T.J. Lee (A)
Garry Peters (A)

Kicker
Sean Whyte (N)

Long snapper

Tanner Doll (N)
Spud387
Champion

Notables who I think will be back:
Quarterback
Antonio Pipkin (A) <-- Was great on short yardage. Although could very possibly be released if the right QB comes along.

Running back
James Butler (A) <-- Had a great year, would be really disappointing to see him gone

Fullback
David Mackie (N)

Receiver
Bryan Burnham (A) <-- If he doesn't retire I bet he stays, it's all up to him

Offensive line <-- I don't know enough about the OL to have an educated opinion, but I'd imagine they try to keep most of them.
Jarell Broxton (A)
Sukh Chungh (N)
Joel Figueroa (A)
Peter Godber (N)
David Knevel (N)
Andrew Peirson (N)

Defensive line
David Menard (N)

Linebacker
Boseko Lokombo (N)

Defensive back
T.J. Lee (A)
Garry Peters (A)

Kicker
Sean Whyte (N) <-- Not going anywhere, he has transitioned into his post football career here with WR FD and I'd imagine will be a Lion until he retires.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Broxton has a lot of girth; I wonder if he has ever played on the D line?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Regardless if Rourke is back or not, the Lions will be spending much more on the QB position in 2023.
Here's the details of Vernon Adams' contract with a small bonus due in February. Lions should know of Rourke's status before it's due but that is looking more and more like mighty valuable insurance.

Adams Jr. is under contract for the 2023 season. He’s currently slated to collect a $25,000 active roster bonus on February 15 and earn a $113,000 base salary with an additional $13,500 in housing. The dual-threat passer has a chance to pocket $11,111.11 per game for being the starting QB and $1,388.88 per game for playing 51 percent or more of the offensive plays, while 20 or more touchdown passes unlocks a $25,000 bonus.

With Nathan Rourke seemingly destined to sign an NFL contract in the offseason, the Lions have an experienced option for next season. Adams Jr. has a $151,500 hard money total for 2023, which is backup money in the CFL. That can give co-general managers Rick Campbell and Neil McEvoy flexibility at the most important position in football.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/14/vete ... 20housing.

Of our pending free agents I would say Butler and Godber are due for the biggest bumps in pay.
squishy35
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:51 pm
David, I dearly hope we're wrong about our gut feeling re Burnham, as I came away with the same. Factor in that Bryan will be 33 next season, and suffered more than his share of injuries this season, and likely most importantly---he and his wife have one recently adopted child and two additional foster kids all under the age of 5. That's a lot on the family plate, and being far-removed here in BC might not fit the plan. It makes me sigh to even think he may retire, but I won't be surprised. Like you, hope I'm wrong. When I think of the Lions, he comes first to mind---he's been special throughout his years with us.
If Rourke sticks with an NFL club, then I would suggest Burnham will be gone next season. Which would be very unfortunate as he is a very special player.
If Rourke returns, I could see Burnham coming back as well for one more season.

I hope they manage to hang on to Hollins. Great hands and very good ball sense. Plays with a lot of maturity and smarts in his route running and coming back to his QB.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Hollins might replace Whitehead due to a big difference in salaries.

If Rourke returns, then I think Burnham returns but if Rourke chooses the NFL, then Burnham retires which might mean that the Lions can then afford Whiteheads salary. But I also think that Rourke will choose to stay in the CFL for now in order to gain starting QB time vs holding a clipboard in the NFL.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 am
Regardless if Rourke is back or not, the Lions will be spending much more on the QB position in 2023.
Here's the details of Vernon Adams' contract with a small bonus due in February. Lions should know of Rourke's status before it's due but that is looking more and more like mighty valuable insurance.

Adams Jr. is under contract for the 2023 season. He’s currently slated to collect a $25,000 active roster bonus on February 15 and earn a $113,000 base salary with an additional $13,500 in housing. The dual-threat passer has a chance to pocket $11,111.11 per game for being the starting QB and $1,388.88 per game for playing 51 percent or more of the offensive plays, while 20 or more touchdown passes unlocks a $25,000 bonus.

With Nathan Rourke seemingly destined to sign an NFL contract in the offseason, the Lions have an experienced option for next season. Adams Jr. has a $151,500 hard money total for 2023, which is backup money in the CFL. That can give co-general managers Rick Campbell and Neil McEvoy flexibility at the most important position in football.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/14/vete ... 20housing.

Of our pending free agents I would say Butler and Godber are due for the biggest bumps in pay.
Adams’ contract tops out at about $400,000, including bonuses, if he starts every game. That’s fair value for a starting QB if Rourke doesn’t return.

Regardless of who plays quarterback, the Lions will be spending a lot more on the position than they did in 2022, and that could squeeze out some high-paid veterans at other positions. The Lions’ biggest cap liabilities are at receiver and defensive line, where Richardson and Baron’s salaries will be on the books for a full year.

I agree that Butler and the O-line should be priorities to re-sign.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

3 Down says Delvin Breaux, Sr to retire.

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/16/long ... etirement/
The six-foot-one, 210-pound defender indicated on Twitter that he is retiring as a player but will be “back with Ticats soon.” He did not immediately reply to a request from 3DownNation for information regarding the nature of this new position.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lots of good stuff from Lions players on social media the last couple days including Rourke’s first Instagram post in about 8 months reflecting on the highs and lows of the season while others are at crossroads as Butler seeks a big pay raise and then there’s Bo Lokombo on Twitter:
Arguably the best team I've been a part of since I started playing ball. But personally it was a really difficult one, from dealing with injuries and overcoming them to a backup role when I am still playing at a high level. Something I can't accept right now.
I felt a type of way at times. I look forward to take some time to rest and heal, spend time with my family and get back at it more than ever this offseason. '23 is going⬆️⬆️
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:41 pm
Lots of good stuff from Lions players on social media the last couple days including Rourke’s first Instagram post in about 8 months reflecting on the highs and lows of the season while others are at crossroads as Butler seeks a big pay raise and then there’s Bo Lokombo on Twitter:
Arguably the best team I've been a part of since I started playing ball. But personally it was a really difficult one, from dealing with injuries and overcoming them to a backup role when I am still playing at a high level. Something I can't accept right now.
I felt a type of way at times. I look forward to take some time to rest and heal, spend time with my family and get back at it more than ever this offseason. '23 is going⬆️⬆️
I saw the Lokombo post. He clearly didn’t like being benched but he just wasn’t his old self
this season. He might be more happy and productive if he’s moved to safety next year. If not, he might have to move on in free agency.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed 4 Americans who spent most of the season as backups or practice roster players: RB Bruce Anderson, DBs Quincy Mauger and Tyneil Cooper and WR Jamarius Way. They also announced the signing of 8 new players.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/11/24/lion ... -for-2023/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Of BC's vets I'd place the following in the category of most likely to not be wearing orange in 2023:
Joel Figueroa - it was terrific that he made it through the season almost unscathed but it's time to get younger at LT.
Bryan Burnham - consumate pro on and off the field but with the wealth of receiving riches already under contract it will be difficult to find the money to keep him.
Garry Peters/TJ Lee - with signings of the likes of Mauger and Cooper it's time to get a bit younger somewhere in the secondary. Lee is the one I'd most want kept. TJ is a true leader in the locker room and one the field.
Bo Lokombo - hard to guess. If he wants to start real bad he likely has to move on.

Others:
David Menard - is at his best in a rotational role as he again proved in 2022. He still has another year left in the tank.
Obum Gwachum - might lose out on numbers game if both Baron and Richardson return. BC looks to be good in the middle with Woody, Stove, Cherry and DeBaillie. On the outside they have Betts, Tuehema, possibly Menard and need to start making room for Archibald and Pickett if they've earned it in camp and practice.
David Knevel - hard to guess. At 6'8 325 he's been a most intriguing prospect since the day he was drafted back in 2013. He was about to get his shot starting at LG until he was felled by the labrum injury that would end his season before it began. Does he still want to give it a shot?
David Mackie - oozes leadership and has been a pillar in BC's efforts out in the community. I think he'll re-sign.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.