Lions at Bombers Oct. 28, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:19 pm
Don’t see how Woody Baron is an upgrade on Tim Bonner, never mind his huge contract. Definitely hasn’t shored up the run defence.
I have to disagree on that with the caveat I wasn't concentrating on last night's game all that much other than to see how Rourke performed. Given Baron missed training camp and the first dozen games of the season I've noticed him to be considerably more disruptive on the pass rush than Bonner was. In fairness to Bonner he was somewhat miscast usually playing DT with a frame more suitable for DE or rush end. Bonner recorded 5 Def tackles and 2 sacks and 1 FF in 10 games with BC. All those stats came in a 3 game stretch early in the season with big wins over Argos, Ottawa and a loss to Bombers. He had goose eggs for numbers over his last 6 games before being cut. He spent the rest of the year on EE's IR. Baron who is much more DT size (6'1 270) than Bonner (6'4 250) has 7 DTs and 1 sack in 6 games since deemed healthy.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:53 pm
Bombers fans have to be the most stupidest and ignorant in the league. “Collaros has proven again he is better than Rourke.”

Apparently it has nothing to do with the Bombers defence being vastly better than the Lions. It’s the biggest difference between the two teams and it’s sadly not close.
Not sure where this came from that “Collaros has proven again he is better than Rourke.”
Rourke - if had continued w/out injury and as he was piling up yardage would have likely statistically made Zach's numbers far less likely to make him MOP versus Rourke.

Once the injury happened all we can do is look at Rourke's numbers still near the top of the charts and Collaros the QB of the #1 team in the West and top rated in the CFL...

Thanks to The cat mac for clarifying that the Bomber fans weren't booing the anthem as it sure stopped Lion fans in my area who were giving each other looks as to WTF are these people thinking as we do live in a free country versus Russia and Iran and others. I'm not sure that's very astute thinking on some fans part as it's not dissimilar to the Trudeau fans who've added their name to the Canadian flag - a flag a significant number of Canadians died under since it was adopted.

Douchebag Of The Game award: Jake Thomas :thdn:

I kind of questioned that but quickly found it kind of funny and no one was harmed.

The Lions this season have done a few questionable like in Calgary wanted to have a chat with Cameron Judge who at that time was getting spoken to by coaches. Coach Campbell and others should have spoke to their team that the game was over and not to look to make it worse.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:50 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:19 pm
Don’t see how Woody Baron is an upgrade on Tim Bonner, never mind his huge contract. Definitely hasn’t shored up the run defence.
I have to disagree on that with the caveat I wasn't concentrating on the game all that much. Given Baron missed training camp and the first dozen games of the season I've noticed him to be considerably more disruptive on the pass rush than Bonner was. In fairness to Bonner he was somewhat miscast usually playing DT with a frame more suitable for DE or rush end. Bonner recorded 5 Def tackles and 2 sacks and 1 FF in 10 games with BC. All those stats came in a 3 game stretch early in the season with big wins over Argos, Ottawa and a loss to Bombers. He had goose eggs for numbers over his last 6 games before being cut. He spent the rest of the year on EE's IR. Baron who is much more DT size (6'1 270) than Bonner (6'4 250) has 7 DTs and 1 sack in 6 games since deemed healthy.
From my vantage point, Baron has been much more disruptive than Bonner as a pass rusher. I don't know if anyone is tracking QB pressures this year but I know that Baron had a sack nullified by penalty. He also knocked down a pass this week.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

On the anthem thing I believe that is somewhat of a Winnipeg tradition. Seems to me they do that at Jets games. As for the Thomas/Rourke thing it's interesting when watching old game footage from the 60s and 70s how often players would give their opponent a hand up off the turf. These days it's extremely rare. I don't recall seeing a player on the ground reach up for a hand as Rourke did. Probably caught Thomas off guard a bit.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:51 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:40 pm
OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:25 pm

Was only there for the passport to maintain 7 only if Rourke had to come out. Obvious they had no real faith in him for playing time when that role was not needed anymore.
The Lions have Rourke and Adams as 1-2 for the playoffs. Pipkin earned the job as short-yardage QB down the stretch, so he stays at No. 3. O'Connor is a pocket passer so he's not an option for the short-yardage role. O'Connor future hinges on what happens to Rourke and Adams in the offseason. If Rourke stays and Adams leaves, the No. 2 job is there for O'Connor to pick up where he left off before Rourke was hurt.

We shall see; IF Rourke returns, he might get the same chance again as a back-up to maintain Campbell's 7 only thinking; no Rourke = no O'Connor IMO.
I don't disagree with that. For some CFL fans there is a bit of fascination with the idea of the Canadian QB. Call it the "Great Canuck Hope" not unlike boxing's "Great White Hope" fixation in the 60s looking for a white boxer to win the heavyweight title.

I was only at camp for the first 4 days and would defer to BC Fan for a more thorough assessment. In camp O'Connor looked decent but never so good as to have me thinking oh boy do we have a nice 1-2 punch. Threw a nice deep ball. Thomsen connected on a few of them too. Actually I think both connected on some nice deep balls more than Rourke did. Otherwise he is a QB of prototypical NFL pocket passer stature. Afrer 4 days I thought he and Thomsen were in a dead heat for #2 likely to be broken by O'Connor's birth certificate. I liked O'Connor's size but Thomsen displayed an ability to do more with his legs if need be. What scared me about O'Connor in his start after Rourke went down was it seemed like he threw some lazy balls trying to finesse them over defenders. I wasn't wondering if he would eventually get picked that game but rather how often. He got hurt before that question could be answered.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:16 pm
I was only at camp for the first 4 days and would defer to BC Fan for a more thorough assessment. In camp O'Connor looked decent but never so good as to have me thinking oh boy do we have a nice 1-2 punch. Threw a nice deep ball. Thomsen connected on a few of them too. Actually I think both connected on some nice deep balls more than Rourke did. Otherwise he is a QB of prototypical NFL pocket passer stature. After 4 days I thought he and Thomsen were in a dead heat for #2 likely to be broken by O'Connor's birth certificate. I liked O'Connor's size but Thomsen displayed an ability to do more with his legs if need be. What scared me about O'Connor in his start after Rourke went down was it seemed like he threw some lazy balls trying to finesse them over defenders. I wasn't wondering if he would eventually get picked that game but rather how often. He got hurt before that question could be answered.
I said at the time that O'Connor was a better passer than Thomson but Thomson was a better runner. Rourke, of course, can do both. I think the Lions chose the QB who more likely to distribute the ball on time and on target to the team's elite receivers. O'Connor's passport likely played a role but I don't think it was the determining factor. Running QBs are easy to find. Rourke, Adams, Pipkin and Thomson could all run. O'Connor doesn't fit the same mould but he has a better arm than the other backups.

I've said that O'Connor's best chance to stay on the roster for 2023 is if Rourke stays and Adams leaves. But I have concerns about his lack of playing time and his unconventional, low delivery. The Lions would likely still want a developmental QB who can run the short yardage offence. If the Lions believe Rourke will leave after next year, they may keep Adams, who is still under contract for 2023. They might still find room for O'Connor but Adams would have to get the short-yardage reps that now go to Pipkin.
ddanny
Rookie

If anyone noticed I am new here sounds like a lot of fun being a fan since 1977
Looks like going to be a lower bowl sell out which is great for a loud crowd .
David
Team Captain

I am very curious whether Thomson's release was on-field on-field or off-field related. Just seems strange to me that the club appeared very high on him, seemingly looking at him in the developmental role but then suddenly releasing him on Sept. 7 (after Rourke went down and forcing O'Connor to dress for games they had no intention of inserting him into).

Did they sour on him after his injury (a controversial hit on a blitz by Calgary's Titus Wall late in the preseason game)? Decide to give him the year to properly heal (doubtful)? Or did he ask for his release or was it possibly conduct-related?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar