Next year

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

I know this year is not over yet, but just wondering what needs to be done next year to get the Lions back to the GC? (Not that they wont this year) This might not be an appropriate topic for now, feel free to delete it if needed.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First thing that comes to mind isthat the special teams need to be addressed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have the personnel to win the Grey Cup,
assuming they can keep Rourke. I’m not sure that Williams is a legitimate threat as a returner. The Lions needs better blocking and cover teams.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

As has been often cited throughout this current season by many of us, the Lions mediocre Special Teams first comes to mind for me. I wonder (have my doubts) if a coaching change on Teams would help all that much, though such an adjustment might seem necessary after the dust settles. As I understand it, and as I've heard it described more than once, the critical aspect on teams is attitude and effort--i.e. going all out each and every time, with each player on the unit fully committed to his responsibility. So is it a case of the personal on the field of play, or more to do with the coach (Yanowsky) not being able to motivate? Dunno. But that element of the football team will have to transform itself, one way or another, for future success, be it this year or next. And then of course there's the question(s) about Rourke's future. If he is healthy and in the den, I'll be optimistic for next year for sure so far as being legit contenders.
David
Team Captain

I think that's mostly a big cliche that Special Teams are all about effort. Yes, that's a part of it (obviously) but scheme is critical too. And I'm reading from those in the know (Farhan alluded to this) that Yanowsky's units are way behind other teams. You simply can't compare what we're doing with Mark Killam in Calgary for example. They exploited us big time with the onside kick to start the game.

If Craig Dickenson gets let go by Sask, he'd be a great addition.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Our success this year was largely due to having a superstar Canadian quarterback who played for peanuts, a situation that is unlikely to recur next year or ever again. Who knows? I think that Campbell, McEvoy and Rigmaiden are as good a management team as any in the CFL, so success is possible. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rigmaiden as a GM elsewhere next year.

BC's defence is good enough to win, but things can change a lot year to year. We will lose some players and gain others. The new players will be better or worse. There is so much turnover with players these days, have to look at who remains first. Same with coaches. Seasons will change, empires will fall, life will renew and endure. Eventually we will win the championship, or not. Others may disagree.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Some other glaring issues already mentioned but it seems that BC has perennially had issues finding an OC that will call plays that favour the current QB skill set. VA is not a pocket passer, moving the pocket around is where he is at his most dangerous so why doesn't the game plan seem to favour that more? And also, our running game needs to be more dangerous. Butler is hot and cold and I suspect that part of the reason is still an OLine that isn't very good in opening lanes for the RB. A good coaching crew knows how to maximize the talent you have to work with but if really seems as though we are rooted in a basic philosophy and have a difficult time being flexible.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:30 pm
I think that's mostly a big cliche that Special Teams are all about effort. Yes, that's a part of it (obviously) but scheme is critical too. And I'm reading from those in the know (Farhan alluded to this) that Yanowsky's units are way behind other teams. You simply can't compare what we're doing with Mark Killam in Calgary for example. They exploited us big time with the onside kick to start the game.

If Craig Dickenson gets let go by Sask, he'd be a great addition.

DH :cool:
Special Teams performance is indicative of roster depth, or the lack thereof. Scheme matters to some extent, and I am 100% in favor of Craig when he gets let go as a replacement.

We'll need a running back also.
Qman
Champion

- new STC for sure and overhaul/upgrade of nationals 13 to 21 who play ST
- rest depends if rourke extends or leaves. If he extends, how much bonus money can they put in this year cap vs next yrs cap. How much money will they have left to spend in February. Do they have cap space for Gwacham, is stove back, burnham, butler.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Definitely special teams. I do think that Clarke, Pickett, Archibald and Varga, will help.

With Hladik coming into his own, do you let Lokombo go? Williams seemed better suited for WLB and Hladik has played well at MLB. You have Varga coming into backup at WLB. Maybe draft a MLB type to backup Hladik.
Pratzy
prospect

If we have any draft picks left.