Lions at Calgary Sept. 17, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Butler was a huge part of this victory with 17 touches for 101 yards and 2 TDs. The O-line deserves a lot of credit. Godber, Norman and Peirson did a good job of opening running lanes.
Dusty
Champion

Whooo Hooo!! What a great way to start a back to back series. Sets up next game to be a really tense affair!

I'm pleased that VA settled down and put together some passes that are not floaters. The pass blocking held long enough to fire the ball downfield for 10-15 years passes..... It's a good start by him that can be improved with more practice and game play. He seemed to have more confidence in himself and his receivers.

Butler kept at it.... I thought he looked gassed earlier in the last quarter but he found another gear on that TD run!!

Well-Done Lions!!!!
squishy35
Legend

I love seeing Dickinson squirm when he loses challenges flag reviews
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:25 pm
X2
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I saw Vernon Adams in his first week of practice here and last game got little more than a look so I admit I was leaning towards the Lions not winning this one- but I didn't say that to anyone.

Adams looked more settled and there were some good plays on early on that set the tone including Adam's play (despite time clock challenges and that fumble). Hatcher made a great catch early on and solid play was good to see.

Not sure why there were having def breakdowns in the back on several key plays for scores but that's fixable.

Overall, it's nice to see them win with a new QB as it's a good base to build on.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:13 pm
I will take and eat all the crow thrown my way.

Never gave them a chance.

Gutsy. I bow to them.
Save a portion for me but maybe we should eat Gull instead.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

* Aside from a couple of mix-ups in the secondary (to be expected), I thought the D was excellent in limiting Maier & Carey. :roar:

* Did anyone really expect Paredes to miss that 48-yarder? He's normally money in that spot.

* Adams seemed to gain confidence in 2nd half (would like to see more run-pass options, play-action, & rollouts to keep D's guessing).

* By far, Butler's best game since early in the season.

* O-line didn't miss a beat with Peirson replacing Chungh at guard. Most, if not all 4 sacks were on Adams (and Godber's errant snap). :thup:

* Much better on kick coverage today, limiting the always dangerous Peyton Logan.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Walt67
Starter

Boy, everyone is making great points. Where did that running game finally come from - so great to see Butler ripping some tasty yards especially when the game was on the line. And agree the kick coverage was massively better. One of the best things was that Adams didn't force too many passes - and when he did throw 50-50 balls the receivers really came through for him. Early on Burnham and Hatcher dived for slightly overthrown balls that signaled the passing game would have a good night.
maxlion
Legend

The defense played well until the last few minutes when it seemed there was a Calgary receiver wide open on every down. Or maybe Maier just started finding the open receivers. Game could have gone either way. In some ways we were lucky to win and in other ways deserve credit for sticking with a good opponent.

I was concerned about Peirson but apparently all that practice paid off! The run game was better than it has been in quite a while.

Our d line is quite impressive. Love Gwachum and Betts. Wonder how Woody Baron will fit It? Is Stove going to return sometime?

I like Adams and always have liked him. He has flaws but he has a good attitude and talent and is able to pull off wins. If you had told me 7 years ago that he would be the starting qb of the Lions in 2022, I would've been happy. Good for him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott, as usual, weighs in with excellent postgame analysis:

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/18/bush ... n-calgary/
David
Team Captain

A rather one-sided condemnation of the Lions for the post-game altercation IMO. :thdn:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:00 am
A rather one-sided condemnation of the Lions for the post-game altercation IMO. :thdn:

I agree. By all accounts, there was some trash talking during and after the game, and Judge punched Whitehead before heading to the locker room. The only video I’ve seen is of Whitehead staggering across the field afterwards like a boxer who has just been TKO’d. Judge and Whitehead aren’t in the same weight class. I hope the league hands out discipline and cautions teams against any threats of violence outside of the rules.
firstandgoal
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:28 pm
squishy35 wrote:
X2
X3

I really liked DD during his Lions QB days but as a head coach in Calgary, he comes across as whiny and arrogant. The losses look good on him!
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

firstandgoal wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:45 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
squishy35 wrote:
X2
X3

I really liked DD during his Lions QB days but as a head coach in Calgary, he comes across as whiny and arrogant. The losses look good on him!
While I agree with the above, 100%, I have to admire DD success as a HC and play caller. He has made BLM a better QB and at times it is almost like it is DD out there at QB via proxy.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

firstandgoal wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:45 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
squishy35 wrote:
X2
X3

I think Dave Dickinson calling plays is a good thing - for opponents as for me there are times his in-game decisions and play calls aren't great.

He's not as bad as Lapo, but I'd also put Dinwiddie as play caller in with Dickinson.

I just think the role of HC is not play calling.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy