Glen Suitor Is A Joke

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

fivethej
prospect

Glen Suitor is so slanted and biased against the Lions, crying the entire broadcast about the officiating being biased towards Stamps with "Questionable Calls" as he stated. He needs to be removed from the air. The other younger guy isn't much better and just as bad. Suitor is such a dinosaur and past his expiry date. Totally disgraceful and embarrassing having to endure this during the entire broadcast, which is ruining the game for fans to watch.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Suitor is an embarrassment. He is constantly second-guessing the officiating, and he’s usually dead wrong in his interpretation of the rule book. I doubt that he’s ever read it. He should spend more energy breaking down plays instead of leaving that to the excellent TSN panel at halftime.
maxlion
Legend

Suitor fixates on certain storylines which seems to substitute for preparation and meaningful analysis. Not sure about bias but I agree that he is a poor and basically irritating commentator.
Walt67
Starter

I don't dislike Suitor as much as some here - and ticky-tack calls on hand-fighting are always open to debate. That said, there should have been no debate about the STOOPID penalty when Calgary shoved our receiver down to the ground as he was getting up after the play (late in the game). This season there has been a definite trend to more "hot-headed" moves after the play that you would never have seen in the eras of Dave Skrien or Hugh Campbell - or even Wally B.
fivethej
prospect

Walt67 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:46 pm
I don't dislike Suitor as much as some here - and ticky-tack calls on hand-fighting are always open to debate. That said, there should have been no debate about the STOOPID penalty when Calgary shoved our receiver down to the ground as he was getting up after the play (late in the game). This season there has been a definite trend to more "hot-headed" moves after the play that you would never have seen in the eras of Dave Skrien or Hugh Campbell - or even Wally B.
The call on Stamps player for pushing Vernon Adams late after the play, Suitor said it wasn't much of a push and that he deserved Oscar for selling it so well :clown:
maxlion
Legend

Walt67 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:46 pm
This season there has been a definite trend to more "hot-headed" moves after the play that you would never have seen in the eras of Dave Skrien or Hugh Campbell - or even Wally B.
I noticed this also. Can also add to this the reported altercation in the parking lot after this game.

Any thoughts on the reason for this trend?
tedbear
Starter

Don't even get me started on Suitor as he is the worst commentator (I won't even give him the credit of calling him an analyst as that would be an overstatement). I think most of us agree that TSN production values are way below par.

I finally figured out that if I stream the Lions radio broadcast on the computer and then pause it for a couple of seconds, I can sync it up to the TV broadcast. VOILA no more Suitor and I can watch the game and actually get some decent commentary about the game that I am actually watching.

What a difference it makes, and the game seems so much better. In fact, whenever Suitor does a game, I now pick one of the teams that are playing and go to their radio broadcast and sync them. It gives me more information and a different perspective of the game. Best of all no more Suitor. I am still trying to figure out a way to block his face when it comes on the TV but at least I do not have to listen to his constant rambling about the SAME things over and over.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I have been a Suitor defender for quite some time now. His job is to sell the game and I get that; but lately he is becoming unbearable to listen to.

TSN; quit with the story lines. Just call the game. This may be crass but I don't want to listen to the wife of a passed away CFL player HOF inductee being interviewed while the play is going on. I don't want a 5 minute interview during the game with the Lions owner.

Just call the damn game and analyze the plays. That's all.

The play by play guys are becoming cringe worthy. I watched the game last night in the pub. No sound. It was great.
almo89
Legend

tedbear wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:15 am
Don't even get me started on Suitor as he is the worst commentator (I won't even give him the credit of calling him an analyst as that would be an overstatement). I think most of us agree that TSN production values are way below par.

I finally figured out that if I stream the Lions radio broadcast on the computer and then pause it for a couple of seconds, I can sync it up to the TV broadcast. VOILA no more Suitor and I can watch the game and actually get some decent commentary about the game that I am actually watching.

What a difference it makes, and the game seems so much better. In fact, whenever Suitor does a game, I now pick one of the teams that are playing and go to their radio broadcast and sync them. It gives me more information and a different perspective of the game. Best of all no more Suitor. I am still trying to figure out a way to block his face when it comes on the TV but at least I do not have to listen to his constant rambling about the SAME things over and over.
I don't really mind Suitor or any of the TSN commentators, but Guilio and Moj are far superior. When I listen to them on the radio, I can actually "see" how the game is unfolding in my head.
cms22
Starter

I thought I was alone in thinking that Glen Suitor is terrible........ I think he should be given a job as "CFL goodwill ambassador" i.e. a link to the past.

Glen talks so slowly and in monotone...... and half the time, that is to make some obvious point that could relate to any sport ("momentum change", "veteran leadership" etc)...

compare him to just about any NFL or NCAA announcer and he comes up very short. as per CFL, Forde is "pretty good", Dunigan is "excellent"

I will say I don't notice Glen Suitor having any bias for/against any team....... I do notice that alot of times when they look at the replay, his analysis doesn't fit what I see (partially I think because he goes with his initial interpretation too often... in fairness, alot of rules are kinda fuzzy these days (PI and "roughing the passer" come to mind)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is Suitor's real job ?
cms22
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm
What is Suitor's real job ?
I assumed public speaker and/or CFL ambassador
almo89
Legend

cms22 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:54 pm
I will say I don't notice Glen Suitor having any bias for/against any team....... I do notice that alot of times when they look at the replay, his analysis doesn't fit what I see (partially I think because he goes with his initial interpretation too often... in fairness, alot of rules are kinda fuzzy these days (PI and "roughing the passer" come to mind)
I don't notice the bias either, but Rider fans thinks he hates the Riders and other fan bases thinks Suitor is a Rider homer. So I have no idea.
Walt67
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:11 pm
I have been a Suitor defender for quite some time now. His job is to sell the game and I get that; but lately he is becoming unbearable to listen to.

TSN; quit with the story lines. Just call the game. This may be crass but I don't want to listen to the wife of a passed away CFL player HOF inductee being interviewed while the play is going on. I don't want a 5 minute interview during the game with the Lions owner.

Just call the damn game and analyze the plays. That's all.

The play by play guys are becoming cringe worthy. I watched the game last night in the pub. No sound. It was great.
I totally agree with your point on the off-game commentary from the sidelines reporters that go on for far too long during the game - often 2 plays. Orlesky will be missed as she seemed to do it best - and it was always pretty quick. Of course it is a job that is a lot harder than it looks to do well, but the new sidelines reporters do blab on and on - usually during a great play of 10 or 15 yards. It won't change, unfortunately, but it has to be a lot tighter.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There are times I don't agree with Glen Suitor's views on things but I'd not go so far as to say he shouldn't be on air. Suitor does need to up his game and get a few other things to talk about.

His "hand fighting" is annoying some games but overall he's okay.

I don't mind in game interviews especially those who have done so much for the game as I personally don't need the announcer to tell me what's happening.

Keith Evan's wife was a touching moment as how said it must have been for her to accept his award after he gave 50 years to Calgary football.

The fans ran down Rod Black for years but if I were a player wanting a highlight reel call on a fantastic play, I'd want it to be his call.

We're too harsh to judge at times.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy